Chael Sonnen continues push for Wanderlei Silva fight, issues 24-hour deadline


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

wanderlei-silva-21.jpgRecent UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Chael Sonnen is still pushing for a fight with Wanderlei Silva – and he’s given the Brazilian a 24-hour deadline to give the green light.

“Wand- you have 24 hours to accept,” Sonnen tweeted Wednesday night. “If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.”

Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC), who previously said he chose Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) because he wants “an easy fight” and because “Wanderlei is broke,” began campaigning for the matchup soon after his April 27 title loss to Jon Jones. The bout marked the former top middleweight contender’s return to the division, where he competed early in his career.

However, immediately after the lopsided defeat to Jones, Sonnen said he was undecided on retirement, though a few days later he said he planned to stay at 205 pounds and wanted to fight Silva.

With both fighters far from a title shot, it’s a marketable option with two proven names. The bout, in fact, is a possibility for the debut UFC on FOX Sports 1 card in Boston on Aug. 17.

Silva, who had been competing at middleweight and in catchweight fights, most recently fought in March, when he moved up to 205 pounds and scored a rousing knockout win over Brian Stann in UFC on FUEL TV 8's headliner. It marked his second win in three fights, which also included a TKO victory over former Strikeforce champion Cung Le.

For the latest on UFC on FOX Sports 1 1, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Wanderlei Silva)

view original article >>

Related News

  • a day ago
  • 11 views

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension.
Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional career as a Mixed Martial Artist is complete, Wanderlei Silva is still convinced that his longtime nemesis will still weasel his way back to the octagon once he competes his suspension.
"I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Wand told Submiss more

  • a day ago
  • 19 views

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon.
"I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Silva told Submission Radio. "I hope this fight is gonna happen."
"I think him and [Vitor] Belfort are just the two good fights that have a reason to happen for me."
The pair were slated to fight Jul. 5 at UFC 175 before they each ran afoul of the Nevada State Athleti more

  • 17 days ago
  • 59 views

The MMA legend says "everything was cleared" following his appearance before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about an incident in which he fled from a random drug test.
Before Chael Sonnen had to pull out of UFC 175, his initial opponent Wanderlei Silva was pulled from the card for fleeing from a NSAC surprise drug test. UFC president Dana White told the media he expected Silva to be "in big trouble" with the commission.
Silva has since attended a hearing before the commission and he told B more

  • 12 days ago
  • 71 views

Luke Barnatt, friend of Chael Sonnen, wants to fight against Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't know his challenger but accepts the bout anyway. One of Chael Sonnen's pupils on The Ultimate Fighter season 17, Luke Barnatt, wants to settle matters with one of his coach's enemies, Wanderlei Silva.
The Englishman's challenge was already accepted, as "The Axe Murderer" told Combate.com that he is up for the fight, aeven though he doesn't know who his opponent is. He also mentioned that bouts against Vitor more

  • a day ago
  • 17 views

Former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva had his grudge match with Chael Sonnen scheduled for earlier this month postponed after "The Axe Murderer" ran into some trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but he still thinks the bout will happen.
The Brazilian slugger allegedly refused to take a random drug test administered by the commission, on top of not applying for his fighter's license on time, so he was removed from UFC 175 in late May, per MMA Fighting. While Sonnen was quick to pok more

  • a day ago
  • 10 views

Where you at, Ralek?
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva, who coached alongside bitter rival Chael Sonnen on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil," still wants to settle their score after years of public quarreling.
It could be awhile.
Sonnen -- who insists he's retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) -- is currently serving a two-year suspension handed down by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for a pair of failed drug tests. In addition, Si more

  • 28 days ago
  • 855 views

UFC 175 title challenger Lyoto Machida spoke to FightHub about his upcoming title fight against Chris Weidman and whether the stars may align for him as they did five years ago against Rashad Evans. more

  • 17 days ago
  • 45 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) has yet to announce a punishment for Wanderlei Silva for refusing to do a random drug test and later admitting the use of diuretics, but the former PRIDE champion is confident he won’t face any hurdles once he decides to get back in the Octagon.
Silva, who hasn’t fought since March of 2013, said in an interview to Tatame in Brazil that he’s "totally clean and cleared to fight as soon as possible."
"Life is great. I’m training well," Silva said. "I did a test more

  • 6 days ago
  • 33 views

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz discusses his intention to fight Anderson Silva before challenging Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title. Considering many of the questions in circulation at Dana White media scrums over the past few months were generally focused on Nate Diaz's potential return to the UFC, fans and pundits alike were surprised to find that it was older brother Nick Diaz who had penned a new deal with the UFC.
The former welterweight title challenger came ou more