The "American Gangster" doesn't regret badmouthing the "Spider" but now praises his rival. Although he wants one more chance against the Brazilian, Sonnen advises him to retire.

Chael Sonnen spoke about his rivalry with Anderson Silva in an interview to Globo. The "American Gangster" said what led him to trash talk the "Spider" and praised the former UFC middleweight champion who is now recovering from his broken leg after his second loss to Chris Weidman in UFC 168 last December.

I don't want to give excuses about that. I'm a grown man and I know how to choose my words and I assume responsibility for what I say. I was very envious of where Anderson was. I didn't think he was the best and I wanted to fight and beat him. I wanted to everybody know that. I wanted to win in a fashion that it was not even going to be close. I to came find out that he is a very nice guy. I also met his family. But the person and the fighter are two different things. He is a very pleasant guy, I wish him a wonderful life and I know he loves his children and his wife.

The 0-2 record against the 38-year-old Brazilian doesn't discourage Sonnen who would love a third chance at the ex-champ. There are also a couple of other Brazilians on his to-do list:

I want to have a third fight (against Anderson). I still want to beat him for some source of competition. I also want to face Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva. I don't wish them a bad life but in a fight I can't step back and I have to punch their faces. There is a expression in America that says: if want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs.

Although Sonnen wishes to have this trilogy he advises Anderson to quit fighting.

I hope that Anderson retires because there is nothing left to him achieve. He made money enough to sustain a lot of generations of his family. I hope Anderson look back and be proud of his career and understand that we all see him as great champion. I hope that he can understand that but I'm worried that he doesn't. Fighters in particular always stay in this sport too long, the same happens to me, it is hard to leave the Octagon because fighting is fun and is the only thing that we do.

Sonnen is set to face Wanderlei Silva in an UFC Fight Night to occur in Brazil on the 31st of May if the unknown issues preventing Wandy from signing the contract for the fight can be resolved.

Chael Sonnen on Metamoris 6 being closed to the public: 'This is a risky move'

"The American Gangster" will be taking on Renato "Babalu" Sobral at Metamoris 6 on Saturday, May 9, 2015. He spoke to MMAMania about not competing in front of a crowd and in a secret location, his "Y read news >>

Chael Sonnen on Ronda Rousey: 'She got the loudest response of all of Wrestlemania'

"The American Gangster" spoke to MMAMania about working with Jim Ross, future broadcast possibilities and Ronda Rousey's appearance at Wrestlemania 32. Former UFC title contender and current ESPN MMA read news >>

UFC 187 Free Fight: Chris Weidman Topples the Mighty Anderson Silva

Current UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman burst onto the scene by upsetting Anderson Silva, the man most considered the best ever. read news >>

Chael Sonnen makes his Mayweather vs Pacquiao pick: 'Someone is going to sleep'

But not who you may think! As the clock ticks and the "Fight of the Century" nears, the anticipation for the "Mayweather vs Pacquiao" pay-per-view (PPV) -- live tonight (May 2, 2015) from the MGM Gra read news >>

Chael Sonnen trashes Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao bout

The self-proclaimed gangster from Oregon blasts boxing's 'Fight of the Century' on Facebook. Not every combat sports enthusiast is counting down the hours until boxing's mega-fight between Floyd Mayw read news >>

Morning Report: Chael Sonnen says only 'a punk' would wear Jones Jones' championship belt without beating him

Chael Sonnen is certainly no stranger to the legal process. The former UFC contender is serving a two-year suspension for testing positive for banned substances, but argues now former light heavyweig read news >>

Chanel Sonnen’s advice to Jon Jones on how to get over with fans

For retired fighter turned media pundit Chael Sonnen, there’s the script most people read from when atoning for a mistake, and there’s the one that best suits this game of cage fighting (which, of co read news >>

Chael Sonnen 'confused' by UFC punishment of Jon Jones: 'If you part ways with a guy, cut him completely'

"I'm a little bit confused by it. You have to do something, you have to take some kind of action, I support that. But I don't fully know what it means to strip a guy of his belt. What do you do with read news >>

Jon Jones Warned by Dana White over Future as Chael Sonnen Queries UFC Sanction

UFC President Dana White has admitted Jon Jones has "got some work to do" after being suspended by the organisation for his part in an alleged hit-and-run accident that left a pregnant woman with a b read news >>