The "American Gangster" doesn't regret badmouthing the "Spider" but now praises his rival. Although he wants one more chance against the Brazilian, Sonnen advises him to retire.

Chael Sonnen spoke about his rivalry with Anderson Silva in an interview to Globo. The "American Gangster" said what led him to trash talk the "Spider" and praised the former UFC middleweight champion who is now recovering from his broken leg after his second loss to Chris Weidman in UFC 168 last December.

I don't want to give excuses about that. I'm a grown man and I know how to choose my words and I assume responsibility for what I say. I was very envious of where Anderson was. I didn't think he was the best and I wanted to fight and beat him. I wanted to everybody know that. I wanted to win in a fashion that it was not even going to be close. I to came find out that he is a very nice guy. I also met his family. But the person and the fighter are two different things. He is a very pleasant guy, I wish him a wonderful life and I know he loves his children and his wife.

The 0-2 record against the 38-year-old Brazilian doesn't discourage Sonnen who would love a third chance at the ex-champ. There are also a couple of other Brazilians on his to-do list:

I want to have a third fight (against Anderson). I still want to beat him for some source of competition. I also want to face Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva. I don't wish them a bad life but in a fight I can't step back and I have to punch their faces. There is a expression in America that says: if want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs.

Although Sonnen wishes to have this trilogy he advises Anderson to quit fighting.

I hope that Anderson retires because there is nothing left to him achieve. He made money enough to sustain a lot of generations of his family. I hope Anderson look back and be proud of his career and understand that we all see him as great champion. I hope that he can understand that but I'm worried that he doesn't. Fighters in particular always stay in this sport too long, the same happens to me, it is hard to leave the Octagon because fighting is fun and is the only thing that we do.

Sonnen is set to face Wanderlei Silva in an UFC Fight Night to occur in Brazil on the 31st of May if the unknown issues preventing Wandy from signing the contract for the fight can be resolved.

One more time? Chael Sonnen hints at trilogy fight against Anderson Silva

The suspended "American Gangster" appears to want a third fight with "The Spider." Anderson Silva certainly didn't help himself and his brand after a bumbling hearing with Nevada Athletic Commission read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Chael Sonnen hints that he wants Anderson Silva rematch?

Chael Sonnen sends out a cryptic tweet, hinting that he perhaps wants to rematch Anderson Silva. Yesterday, at the long-awaited NSAC hearing with Anderson Silva, it was announced that the former midd read news >>

Chael Sonnen reacts to 'silly' and 'ridiculous' Anderson Silva drug defense: Don't insult everyone's intelligence

"Guys who dig their heels in and come out and deny and lie and refuse to admit the findings of the test have always been treated more harshly. In Anderson's case, he went down swinging all the way to read news >>

Chael Sonnen criticizes Anderson Silva's 'ridiculous' and 'silly' PED excuse

Former UFC star Chael Sonnen says Anderson Silva 'insulted everyone's intelligence' with his recent hearing at the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Anderson Silva's hearing with the Nevada State Ath read news >>

Video: Chael Sonnen says Chris Weidman is just a 'better fighter' than Anderson Silva

Remember that whole "Anderson Silva was just screwing around when he got caught" excuse that fans used when Chris Weidman shocked the world and dethroned the UFC middleweight champion at UFC 162? Yea read news >>

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) signs Chael Sonnen to broadcast team

• a day ago

"American Gangster" is back in the booth. World Series of Fighting (WSOF) has announced the signing of former two-time Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight contender, Chael Sonnen, to it read news >>

NAC hearing for Anderson Silva discussion & updates

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will be live on Fight Pass on August 13th at 11am EST to address Anderson Silva's drug test failure among a host of other topics. The continuation of a major blac read news >>

The Comeback: Rousey vs. the world, Werdum-Velasquez 2, latest on Anderson Silva

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMAjunkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Wednesday’s biggest headlines, let us catch you up to date with “The Comebac read news >>

Anderson Silva Blames Positive Drug Tests on Sexual Performance Supplements

Anderson Silva's defense for testing positive to steroids before and after his UFC 183 bout against Nick Diaz is that the fighter took tainted sexual performance supplements. read news >>

Attorney: Anderson Silva's failed drug test result of tainted 'sexual performance' drugs

With Anderson Silva set to go in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission tomorrow for his hearing on his failed UFC 183 drug test it appears we now know what the MMA legend’s defense will be.Fi read news >>