Chael Sonnen may have lost Saturday night at UFC 159, but he is far from a beaten man.

The recent light heavyweight title challenger was dominated by reigning champion Jon Jones in their April 27 headliner, falling in a first-round technical knockout at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Though speculation surfaced following the bout that Sonnen might hang up his gloves for good, the 36-year-old recently silenced those rumors during his Tuesday appearance on “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“I’ll fight at 205 [pounds]. I’m not retiring,” Sonnen said. “I have a lot of goals, and I’m not going to reach them if I retire.”

Sonnen found himself on the defensive from the opening moments of his clash with Jones, as the champion closed the distance and worked from the clinch while mixing in takedown attempts.

“This was like getting into a bear cage. This guy was a monster of a man,” said Sonnen. “We weighed in at the same size the day before, and I don’t know how that was possible. As far as the match went, I got beat up.”

Jones put Sonnen on his back three times in the opening stanza and managed to hold him there near the end of the round, when “Bones” unloaded with a barrage of punches and elbows that forced referee Keith Peterson to halt the contest.

“I was going to have to grind him down. I could see he poses a lot of problems. He’s big, he’s strong, and he’s got the wing span of a radioactive condor,” said Sonnen. “I knew he’d take me down, but I never thought that he could take me down repeatedly. That was a surprise. And the fact that he tried so quickly, I was thrown off a little.”

Unbeknown to Jones in the midst of record-tying fifth consecutive title defense, he had actually suffered an open fracture dislocation to his left big toe during the bout. Should Sonnen have survived that first-round onslaught, the championship likely would have changed hands due to Jones’ injury, resulting in a technical knockout win for Sonnen.

“Diplomatically, you don’t ever want to win that way,” said Sonnen. “The ones that hurt are the ones you’re supposed to win and then you blow it. But if it was given to me, I would have grabbed that belt, held it up, grabbed the mic and told the crowd the golden rule is ‘he with the gold rules,’ and I would have walked out of that place and never looked back.”

With the Jones defeat now behind him, Sonnen has his sights set on another veteran in former Pride Fighting Championships titlist Wanderlei Silva.

“Wanderlei called me out before, but the fight never made sense. Now it does,” said Sonnen. “I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all. Wanderlei pulled a dirt bag move on me one time. He said something to me that I couldn’t hear and then put it on YouTube with subtitles because he knew I couldn’t understand it and called me out. If you’re a fighter, that doesn’t fly. You must respond to him, and I’m ready to respond to you, Wanderlei.”

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Homeless Man Writes Joanne Calderwood a Thank You Note After UFC 203 Experience

Joanne Calderwood competed, and lost, on the UFC 203 card in Cleveland, but good-hearted people will always come out on top. Calderwood posted to her Facebook and Instagram accounts Sunday afternoon read news >>

Homeless Man Writes Joanne Calderwood a Thank You Note After UFC 203 Experience

Daniel Cormier Irate if Jon Jones Fights Anthony Johnson with Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is not happy about the idea that Jon Jones could defend the interim title against Anthony Johnson in his return. read news >>

What if Jon Jones Returned at Heavyweight? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez Don't Like It | MMAWeekly.com

What if Jon Jones returned to the Octagon as a heavyweight and fought Stipe Miocic? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez tear the idea apart. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Skips Jon Jones, Calls Out Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Anthony Johnson isn't waiting around for Jon Jones, he's taking aim at UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>

Why Did Chael Sonnen Return to Fight for Bellator, Not the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

A day after Chael Sonnen inked a deal to return to MMA to fight for Bellator, not the UFC, the American Gangster hosted a throng of media to answer why. read news >>