Chael Sonnen Thinks Junior dos Santos’ Corner Should Be Suspended and Fired


Chael-Sonnen-UFC-148-pre-press-005-478x270The third fight between UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and former titleholder Junior dos Santos was billed as the greatest trilogy in UFC history. In reality, it was a quick knockout followed by two of the most one-sided title fights in the promotion’s 20 years of existence.

The two heavyweights met for a third time at UFC 166 on Oct. 19 and Velasquez battered dos Santos, leaving most feeling that the fight should have been stopped earlier than it was. UFC president Dana White, during the post-fight press conference, said he was so appalled that he wanted to throw in the towel.

Dos Santos suffered memory loss from the fifth-round technical knockout. He appeared to be on autopilot from the third round on. UFC contender and Fox Sports analyst Chael Sonnen believes his corner should be held accountable.

“Junior dos Santos’ cornerman needs to be cut, period. That was beyond inappropriate that they sent him back out there,” said Sonnen during a recent question and answer session in Manchester, England.

“The doctor comes in twice. What that doctor was looking for, I have no idea. The referee didn’t stop the fight, though he should have. Ultimately it defaults to your cornerman, who you trust, who is like a father figure. And that guy let Junior dos Santos down, period,” added Sonnen. “The commission licenses these cornermen. I don’t have the foggiest idea why. I guest just to take their $25. That should be the first cornerman that’s suspended. That was beyond wrong what he did.”

Like White, Sonnen believes that dos Santos’ corner should have thrown in the towel, something rarely done in mixed marital arts.

“You do not stop the fight when your fighter can no longer continue. You stop the fight when your fighter can no longer win. The second your guy can’t win, you get him out of there,” he said. “That fight should have been stopped way earlier. It knocked years off of Junior’s life and career. That cornerman should be fired.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 3 days ago
  • 30 views

It’s hard to believe a fighter like Junior dos Santos, a former UFC champion with a record of 16-3, may be a man with no place to go, but that’s the situation before him now. Granted, the UFC will no read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 14 views

Can Fabricio Werdum shock the world once again and dethrone Cain Velasquez at UFC 180? Junior dos Santos thinks so. A former UFC heavyweight champion and the only man to knock both Werdum and Velasqu read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 225 views

Uh, guys? Guys? Aren't we all forgetting something here? It's pretty important, actually. Not, like, water and food important, but at least as important as remembering to turn off the stove after usi read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 23 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission believes Chael Sonnen’s agreement not to compete in any other jurisdiction during his two-year suspension includes a grappling competition against Andre Galvao at read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 23 views

Chael Sonnen’s lawyer believes his appearance at this weekend’s Metamoris 4 grappling event doesn’t violate the terms of his two-year Nevada State Athletic Commission suspension and is asking for cla read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 55 views

Something Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight Michael Bisping finds "laughable" after both fighters were popped by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) earlier this year and forced t read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 37 views

We haven't heard much from Chael Sonnen since he was suspended for two years by the Nevada Athletic Commission last month after testing positive for a hodgepodge of banned substances. Even Sonnen's a read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 142 views

Two years after signing a contract with the UFC, Geronimo dos Santos is no longer on the UFC roster. "Mondragon" signed with the promotion in 2012 to compete at the UFC 153 card in Rio de Janeiro aga read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 37 views

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension. Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional c read news >>