Chael Sonnen Continues Verbal Assault on Anderson Silva: Fan Reaction (Yahoo! Contributor Network)

• submit to reddit

By David King,

UFC middleweight number one contender, Chael Sonnen, is never short of words. And he took a few more shots at his arch nemesis, Anderson Silva, in a recent interview. Even though he'll be facing Silva in a few months (in front of 80,000 Brazilian MMA fans, who are not exactly fond of the Portland native), Sonnen remains confident. And he promises to give Silva the beating of his life at UFC 147.

"You don't matter Anderson," Sonnen said. "Don't talk down to me; don't talk to me like you're my equal because you're not. I stomped you before, and I will stomp you again. You are a nuisance to me and to everybody else. You ducked me for six years. You ducked me for two years after that, there's nothing I can do more than pick a fight. You put every stipulation on his thing that you could think of and I answered them all, including coming to Brazil, like it's some kind of big deal. … I'm gonna stomp you this time, the same like I did last time."

Coming into his UFC 117 fight against Silva, Sonnen was very verbal about his intentions inside the Octagon. And he certainly surprised many MMA fans with his dominant performance against the sport's pound-for-pound king. Sonnen dominated Silva—for four and a half rounds—with his aggressive wrestling, but his poor BJJ defense eventually got the best of him, succumbing to an armbar-triangle combo minutes before the final bell.

Unfortunately for Sonnen, a failed post-fight drug test—and Silva's claim of a rib injury—put an asterisk on his performance at UFC 117. And he'll be the underdog going into his rematch with Silva.

I won't completely count Sonnen out against Silva, but his chances are pretty low, considering the amount of time Silva has had to prepare for him (Silva won't underestimate Sonnen this time around either).

Even though their UFC 147 bout will probably be the biggest event in MMA history, I'm not expecting a competitive fight. Silva put on the worst performance of his MMA career at UFC 117, yet, it was still enough to get past a testosterone fueled Sonnen. In front of 80,000 enthusiastic Brazilian fans, I expect to see the best Anderson Silva we've ever seen.

David is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and boxing practitioner that has watched and studied MMA for the past 7 years. Follow him on twitter @davidkingwriter and check out his blog.

Sources:

Fight and fighter information from Sherdog.com

More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:

Interview: Kenny Florian Wants to Fight the Best Lightweights Around

Sugar Ray Leonard on Mayweather-Pacquiao Bout

Kimbo Slice KO's Brian Green with 3 Seconds Left in the Final Round

Cesar Gracie is Confident Nick Diaz Will Return to MMA

Molina Appeals Disqualification, Kirkland Down for Rematch

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

LAS VEGAS - UFC president Dana White held his annual Fan Expo question-and-answer session with the fans on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As usual, the event was a mix of the serious, the less serious, and the absurd, ranging from detailed questions about the company's business to painful-to-watch attempts at business pitches. One thing the UFC boss did indicate, however, is that he could very well by on the same wavelength as the fans who want the much-discussed potential Ander more

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) has yet to announce a punishment for Wanderlei Silva for refusing to do a random drug test and later admitting the use of diuretics, but the former PRIDE champion is confident he won’t face any hurdles once he decides to get back in the Octagon. Silva, who hasn’t fought since March of 2013, said in an interview to Tatame in Brazil that he’s "totally clean and cleared to fight as soon as possible." "Life is great. I’m training well," Silva said. "I did a test more

Chael Sonnen retired from MMA, but he has a no-gi match coming up against grappling wizard Andre Galvao in August. Metamoris 4 is scheduled for the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, Calif., on August 9, and Metamoris president Ralek Gracie believes that competing in a no-gi match against a guy like Galvao was "a perfect fit" for the former UFC middleweight and light heavyweight title contender. "I think Chael, given everything that was happening with the UFC, I thought it would be an in more

Some grappling purists were let down when the Metamoris 4 headlining matchup was announced as Chael Sonnen vs. Andre Galvao, but company President Ralek Gracie believes it will be a great no-gi contest. Speaking on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour yesterday, Gracie stated that while Sonnen may not be a decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt like Galvao, he is still a very competent grappler, per MMA Fighting. "It really was kind of a perfect fit for him (Sonnen) be able to say ‘you know what, I’m more

Andre Galvao has a unique challenge ahead of him. Galvao, a multiple time jiu-jitsu world champion and ADCC winner, headlines Metamoris 4 card against UFC veteran Chael Sonnen in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 9, in a 20-minute no-gi, submission-only match. Sonnen accepted the challenge days after announcing his retirement from MMA after testing positive in a random drug test, but the fact that he never competed in a grappling match against a guy with Galvao’s credentials doesn’t mean it’s a walk more

Might be time to re-think all those submission losses in MMA... "It won't be easy... He has evolved and that's natural. If you fight MMA, you should know jiu-jitsu. That's a fact. That's why he trains jiu-jitsu like every other MMA fighter. Evolution is a consequence of training, and he has evolved a lot. I will train and fight by the rules, going for the submission on top or from the bottom. Who knows, maybe he'll pull guard. I have to be ready for every situation. If people think that (I will more

Less than a month after retiring from mixed martial arts, Chael Sonnen will make his debut for Brazilian jiu-jitsu promotion Metamoris on Aug. 9. more

During a segment on Wednesday night's FOX Sports Live, UFC Tonight hosts Kenny Florian and Chael Sonnen were asked to weigh-in on the recent controversy surrounding Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez. The Barclay's Premier League's top scorer has been banned for nine games and four months by FIFA for biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's World Cup match with Italy on Jun. 24, his third such offense. "Lets start with what happened on the soccer field," said Sonnen. "To bite so more

But to be fair, I probably would have done likewise. If you stick your finger in Chael Sonnen's mouth during the course of a wrestling match, he will bite it. That's according to the "shady" UFC Tonight co-host, who weighed in on the recent kerfuffle involving Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez, who was banned for nine games (and four months) by FIFA for biting an opponent during the World Cup on Wednesday. His words: "Lets start with what happened on the soccer field. To bite someone in the cour more