Chael Sonnen and Jon Jones UFCUFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones turned down a last-minute offer to fight Chael Sonnen, which eventually lead to the collapse of UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson. He is instead rescheduled to headline UFC 152 in Toronto, facing former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort.

Sonnen, however, isn’t buying. He believes that Belfort’s history indicates that the Brazilian will eventually drop out of the fight and he, the American Gangsta, will be asked once again to step in and save the day.

“I’ve got an agreement to fight a gentleman named Forrest Griffin on Dec. 29, but I don’t know,” Sonnen said Monday on ESPN Radio in Los Angeles. “Jon Jones has a date on Sept. 22 and right now he’s fighting Vitor Belfort. Vitor never shows up, Vitor has pulled out of way more fights than he has ever shown up for, so if I had to guess, you’ll be seeing me fight Jon Jones on Sept. 22.”

Belfort has had to withdraw from several bouts throughout his career due to injury, the most recent being a planned rematch with Wanderlei Silva at UFC 147 after the two served a stint as coaches on the first Ultimate Fighter: Brazil. Belfort pulled out of that bout, citing a broken hand.

If Belfort can’t make it to fight time, Sonnen says he’s ready to go, just like he was when asked to save the day for UFC 151. He wasn’t, however, as hypercritical of Jones as he was immediately following the UFC 151 cancellation.

“I hear what their side said and it was just mindboggling for me because it has never happened. He was within his rights to do it. Let’s not forget Jones had an agreement and he was ready to honor his side of the agreement, but the agreement changed. The new deal he was presented with he didn’t agree to,” recounted Sonnen.

“That was still a surprise though. That’s just simply never happened, especially when you’re the champion. This whole short notice routine, that doesn’t apply to a guy that is coming off a 10-week training camp. The short notice routine is for the guy that was sitting at home or had no idea there was a fight coming up.

“It didn’t make sense. Nothing added up that he pulled out. I don’t know. He doesn’t need to be scared of anybody.”

If you think that means Sonnen is mellowing over time, think again. He still had a few pointed words for the champ if he does get the call to fight him in Toronto.

“If I was to tell Jon Jones something, I would tell him I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news. Good news Jon, the first punch that I throw at you might not land. The bad news is there are going to be five more coming right after it.”

Stay tuned to for more UFC 151 cancellation fallout as the situation develops.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz will not take place at Bellator 165 in San Jose

  • 27 days ago

Newly minted Bellator fighter Chael Sonnen got a little ahead of himself in announcing a fight with Tito Ortiz on Nov. 19 at Bellator 165. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

?Tyson Fury Will Not Fight Again, Says Eddie Hearn | FIGHTLAND

  • 28 days ago

PA Images Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn believes Tyson Fury will not fight again, following the news that the Englishman has withdrawn from a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko on health grounds. Fury cau read news >>

Dana White thinks Ronda Rousey will fight before the end of 2016

  • 26 days ago

Dana White believes Ronda Rousey is ready for a comeback sooner rather than later. read news >>

'Jacare' Souza talks 'peacock' Rockhold, 'liar' Bisping and the elusive UFC title shot

  • 26 days ago

BRASILIA, Brazil – While he believes Luke Rockhold had been ducking their rematch for years, Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza still holds a lot of respect for his confident UFC Fight Night 101 opponent. As for read news >>

Manager expects 'Bigfoot' Silva to be released, head overseas, comments on Roy Nelson kick

  • 25 days ago

Antonio Silva’s longtime manager expects to restart the Brazilian heavyweight’s career overseas after his latest UFC loss.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Tito Ortiz vs. Chael Sonnen in the Works for Bellator |

  • 22 days ago

Tito Ortiz claims he is fighting Chael Sonnen under the Bellator banner. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Goes Phenom on Yoshihiro Akiyama: UFC 204 Free Fight Video |

  • 21 days ago

Vitor Belfort added a Knockout of the Night to his resume when he downed Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 133. Belfort returns against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204. read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Gegard Mousasi: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

  • 21 days ago

UFC 204 will be headlined by a middleweight title fight between Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, but the main event is not the only meaningful bout to be contested at 185 pounds. Vitor Belfort and read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Gegard Mousasi: UFC 204 Countdown Video |

  • 20 days ago

UFC 204 Countdown gives you an inside look into the UFC 204 co-main event between middleweight contenders Vitor Belfort and Gegard Mousasi. read news >>

Dan Henderson wishes he'd fought Jon Jones, but won't do it if he beats Michael Bisping at UFC 204

  • 20 days ago

There isn’t much that Dan Henderson hasn’t accomplished in the sport of MMA. So far, the only thing that’s eluded him is an undisputed UFC title. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>