Chad Mendes Has Battery Charge Dropped After Pleading to Lesser Offense in California


A battery charge filed in California against UFC featherweight Chad Mendes was dismissed Monday after the fighter pleaded no-contest to a lesser charge.

Mendes’ management recently announced the news. The fighter was formally charged on Aug. 24 for his alleged role in a July 29 bar fight in Hanford, Calif. Mendes faced a $2,000 fine and a sentence of up to six months in county jail had he been convicted.

Instead, the featherweight was placed on informal probation and fined $560 after pleading no-contest to a misdemeanor charge of fighting in a public place, according to a report from the Hanford Sentinel, the publication that first reported Mendes’ alleged involvement in the July 29 incident. According to the initial report, Mendes allegedly punched another patron at the Lacey Inn Bar and then fled the scene.

“I have said from the beginning that the ridiculous allegations published by the media were either false or incredibly sensationalized,” Mendes said in a prepared statement. “[Monday’s] outcome proves it.”

Mendes, 27, has been defeated just once as a professional mixed martial artist, falling by knockout to featherweight king Jose Aldo this past January at UFC 142. The setback snapped an 11-fight winning streak for the Team Alpha Male representative, who rebounded from the loss by knocking out Cody McKenzie with a body shot in just 31 seconds on July 7 at UFC 148.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 2 days ago
  • 11 views

A second class action lawsuit was filed against the UFC in California Northern District Court on Monday. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 51 views

Watch UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor stop by “The Ultimate Fighter” training center to pay a visit to Irish teammate Aisling Daly – and daydream of a UFC title. Filed under: News, UFC, Vi read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 24 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), suddenly, has quite an exciting Featherweight division. And, at least according to 145-pound standout, Frankie Edgar, the weight class can thank Conor McGregor f read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 13 views

Ahead of next week’s big welterweight rematch in Las Vegas, the UFC and FOX Sports 1 will take a look back at an instant classic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 1990 views

The three-fight losing slump of Diego Nunes came to spectacular and violent end on Saturday afternoon, as the former UFC featherweight contender starched Joachim Hansen with a second-round knockout a read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 1272 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight Diego Nunes was back in action this weekend, headlining the Superior Challenge mixed martial arts (MMA) event from inside the Sweden AXA Spor read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 70 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight contender Frankie Edgar, who blew the doors off No. 2-ranked Cub Swanson earlier this month in Austin, Texas, argued his case for a crack at the 145 read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 1035 views

It has been said that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight contender Conor McGregor can shut down an entire country. He can also shut down an entire argument. That's assuming the "real read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 18 views

UFC featherweight Charles Oliveira is the first fighter to submit Hatsu Hioki. Check it out in the UFC Submission of the Week video. read news >>

Jump to: