Cat ZinganoAfter five years of building herself into one of the most promising prospects in women’s MMA, Colorado bantamweight Cat “Alpha” Zingano has been given the opportunity of a lifetime with her recent signing with the UFC.

“I was really drawn back,” said Zingano when the news of her UFC signing became official. “I really wanted to make sure that I heard it from my manager because I was hearing it from the public, from the fans, everywhere, and I was just absolutely astounded. It was some of the best news I’ve heard in my life.

“It makes me feel like I want to go out there and do my best and be my best and I promise I will. I’m super-excited and I can’t wait to get out there and perform and entertain and make everybody happy that they got the opportunity to do this with me.”

Zingano feels her addition to the UFC will be an eye-opening experience to fans that are new to her.

“I have in me something that’s very special that I think is very different,” she said. “I think I bring a different intensity, a different mindset, and all kinds of things to the cage that people haven’t experienced before.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to have people know me for who I am and understand what this is all about for me. It’s good for me to be put in this kind of position because I’m ready to face life head-on and this kind of pressure is exactly what I need to grow.”

The timing of Zingano’s signing is such that she feels she’s experienced the necessary highs and lows coming off her last win against Raquel Pennington in Invicta FC in October to make the most of her UFC opportunity.

“I think it was exactly what I needed before this big break in my life because now I know what it feels like to go out there and win and still know that I could have done more and still be better and that I’m capable of so much more,” said Zingano. “I never want to feel that again. I want to walk out of the cage knowing that I left everything in there and that I did my absolute best.”

Zingano’s UFC debut is scheduled for April 13 against former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate in a bout she feels will be one not to miss.

“I think that the fight between me and Miesha is going to be very, very hardcore and I can’t imagine it going any other way,” said Zingano. “We’re both aggressive; we’re both high-risk-high-reward fighters and I’m very ecstatic to get in there and get it started. I almost wish I could be a spectator for it.”

Should Zingano get past Tate, an eventual match with current UFC champ Ronda Rousey could be around the corner, and while it’s not her immediate goal, it is something she’s keeping an eye on.

“I look forward to that fight, yes, but to look past any opponent is so dangerous,” said Zingano. “Right now I’m focusing on my fight and my life.

“I’m definitely in the here and now and am not looking too far forward as far as opponents, but I am looking at that belt. Whatever it needs, whatever it takes to get to that belt, that’s what I’m going to do and that’s what I’m going to focus on.”

Be sure to Like on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Holly Holm Motivated to Steal Ronda Rousey’s Historical Thunder at UFC 193

Holly Holm can make history by becoming the first fighter, male or female, to hold world titles in boxing and MMA when she faces Ronda Rousey at UFC 193. read news >>

Lizares Champions Hawaii's Next Generation

Rylan Lizares wants to be champion. That goal has not changed. In fact, it has broadened. Lizares’ drive to be the best has not wavered for nary a moment for the near 20 years since he first set foot read news >>

Miesha Tate hints Ronda Rousey was ducking Cyborg by dropping to 135 lbs

'Cupcake' suggests that after an early career at 145 lbs., Ronda Rousey dropped to the bantamweight division when talks with Cyborg became serious. It seems as though Miesha Tate and Cristiane 'Cybor read news >>

Tate on Dana White: 'It’s kind of offensive that he’s counting me out' of Rousey fight

Miesha Tate was on Wednesday's episode of UFC Tonight, where she once again discussed the loss of her title shot vs. Ronda Rousey. Miesha Tate was lined up for a third bout against Ronda Rousey after read news >>

Miesha Tate: Ronda Rousey dropped to 135 once talks with 'Cyborg' became serious

"From her whole career it was just 145 and 145 only at the beginning. It seemed like when the talks with 'Cyborg' became serious, it was like, 'No, I'm dropping to 135.' Granted, she is the champion, read news >>

Miesha Tate says she's stuck in 'limbo,' says White's 'career killer' comment 'offensive'

Miesha Tate continues to voice her displeasure of the UFC’s decision to grant Holly Holm a title shot against UFC champ Ronda Rousey after she was promised the next crack at the gold. Filed under: Fe read news >>

Combate Americas: Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc on Miesha Tate, Katy Collins, HOOKnSHOOT, and more

Nicdali Rivera-Calanoc retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) following her loss to Jodie Esquibel last November at Invicta FC 9, but she's back on September 17th to face Katy Collins on a Combate Ame read news >>

Miesha Tate was ‘Really Bummed Out’ When Ronda Rousey Trilogy Got Shot Down

Top ranked women's bantamweight Miesha Tate says she was 'bummed out' that the UFC opted to pit Holly Holm against champion Ronda Rousey instead of her. read news >>

UFC fighter: Miesha Tate didn't get Rousey fight because of boyfriend Caraway

UFC bantamweight Aljamain Sterling had an interesting (facetious?) response as to why Miesha Tate didn't get a title shot vs. Ronda Rousey. UFC bantamweight Aljamain Sterling is an outspoken characte read news >>

Morning Report: Miesha Tate 'shot in the heart' over losing out on third fight with Ronda Rousey

Following her win over Jessica Eye at UFC on FOX 16 in July, Miesha Tate was awarded a third shot at women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey by UFC president Dana White. Tate lost her Strikeforce read news >>