Cat ZinganoAfter five years of building herself into one of the most promising prospects in women’s MMA, Colorado bantamweight Cat “Alpha” Zingano has been given the opportunity of a lifetime with her recent signing with the UFC.

“I was really drawn back,” said Zingano when the news of her UFC signing became official. “I really wanted to make sure that I heard it from my manager because I was hearing it from the public, from the fans, everywhere, and I was just absolutely astounded. It was some of the best news I’ve heard in my life.

“It makes me feel like I want to go out there and do my best and be my best and I promise I will. I’m super-excited and I can’t wait to get out there and perform and entertain and make everybody happy that they got the opportunity to do this with me.”

Zingano feels her addition to the UFC will be an eye-opening experience to fans that are new to her.

“I have in me something that’s very special that I think is very different,” she said. “I think I bring a different intensity, a different mindset, and all kinds of things to the cage that people haven’t experienced before.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to have people know me for who I am and understand what this is all about for me. It’s good for me to be put in this kind of position because I’m ready to face life head-on and this kind of pressure is exactly what I need to grow.”

The timing of Zingano’s signing is such that she feels she’s experienced the necessary highs and lows coming off her last win against Raquel Pennington in Invicta FC in October to make the most of her UFC opportunity.

“I think it was exactly what I needed before this big break in my life because now I know what it feels like to go out there and win and still know that I could have done more and still be better and that I’m capable of so much more,” said Zingano. “I never want to feel that again. I want to walk out of the cage knowing that I left everything in there and that I did my absolute best.”

Zingano’s UFC debut is scheduled for April 13 against former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate in a bout she feels will be one not to miss.

“I think that the fight between me and Miesha is going to be very, very hardcore and I can’t imagine it going any other way,” said Zingano. “We’re both aggressive; we’re both high-risk-high-reward fighters and I’m very ecstatic to get in there and get it started. I almost wish I could be a spectator for it.”

Should Zingano get past Tate, an eventual match with current UFC champ Ronda Rousey could be around the corner, and while it’s not her immediate goal, it is something she’s keeping an eye on.

“I look forward to that fight, yes, but to look past any opponent is so dangerous,” said Zingano. “Right now I’m focusing on my fight and my life.

“I’m definitely in the here and now and am not looking too far forward as far as opponents, but I am looking at that belt. Whatever it needs, whatever it takes to get to that belt, that’s what I’m going to do and that’s what I’m going to focus on.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Amanda Nunes challenges Miesha Tate for women's bantamweight title at UFC 200

Dana White said we might get a women’s title fight at UFC 200, and now we have one. Miesha Tate will defend her bantamweight title for the first time when she meets Amanda Nunes. Filed under: Feature read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Miesha Tate's first title defense won't come against Holly Holm. It won't come against Ronda Rousey. Instead, the UFC women's bantamweight champion will take on fourth-ranked competitor Amanda Nunes read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments, Reaction

Miesha Tate to Defend Title Against Amanda Nunes at UFC 200

Fresh off of signing a new contract, UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate will make the first defense of her title at this summer's UFC 200. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Miesha Tate title defense announcement vs. Amanda Nunes at UFC 200

It’s not Holly Holm, nor is it Ronda Rousey. Instead it will be Amanda Nunes who challenges Miesha Tate for the UFC women’s bantamweight title at UFC 200. See how social media reacted to Wednesday ni read news >>

Miesha Tate Video: Dishing on Amanda Nunes Fight Ahead of Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm

Miesha Tate talks about facing Amanda Nunes, potential rematches with Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey, and what's on the horizon with Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Cat Zingano and Julianna Pena Return to Square Off at UFC 200

Cat Zingano and Julianna Peña both return to the Octagon to square off with each other at UFC 200 this summer. read news >>

Julianna Pena and Cat Zingano clash set for UFC 200

A UFC women’s bantamweight matchup between onetime title challenger Cat Zingano and “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner Julianna Pena is set for July’s banner UFC 200 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Woman Who Knocked Out Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes Joins Them at UFC 200

Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes are facing off for the UFC women's bantamweight title in the co-main event of UFC 200, but they should both be worried about the newest addition to the card. That's becau read news >>

Why champ Miesha Tate is fighting Amanda Nunes, and not Holly Holm, at UFC 200

Many UFC fans expected women’s bantamweight champ Miesha Tate to face rival and former champion Ronda Rousey at July’s banner UFC 200. The UFC certainly teased the prospect.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>