Cat ZinganoTo say the past couple weeks have been a roller coaster ride for women’s MMA standout Cat “Alpha” Zingano would be an understatement.

Originally scheduled to make her Strikeforce debut on the undercard of their Sept. 29 show, Zingano became a casualty of the event’s cancellation following the injury to main event headliner Gilbert Melendez.

Things however managed to work out as a couple days following the cancellation; Zingano got the call to step into Invicta FC for their Oct. 3 show in Kansas City, Kan.

“It was devastating to hear the news (of the cancellation),” said Zingano. “I didn’t feel I had finished what I started, so mainly I was just really sad. Myself, my coaches, my family, my manager, everyone had put so much work into that camp, I felt bad for everyone.

“(The Tuesday following the cancellation) my husband, Mauricio, and I were out having lunch and he said he had a gut feeling that things would work out somehow. Two hours later he got the call from my manager, Ricky (Vasquez), and everything was back in motion.”

Zingano said it didn’t take her long to get back into fight mode.

“I took the rest of that day off to gather my thoughts and refocus and woke up the next day with a lot of ‘go’ in me,” she said. “I trained hard twice that day to be ready to go (on Oct. 3).”

Originally scheduled to face Amanda Nunez at Strikeforce, Zingano will instead be facing Raquel Pennington.

When asked how the change of opponent would affect her training just over a week before Invicta, Zingano replied, “I don’t ever make strategies, I train in all areas of my game and I don’t think about what they are going to do.

“I think about what I’m going to do in a fight, so regardless of the opponent I know I trained the best I could and as hard as I could.”

While she is happy to be part of Invicta for their upcoming show, Zingano’s future resides in Strikeforce and it’s there that she’ll finally get the opportunity to show the nation why she’s one of the premier fighters in women’s MMA.

“I think what happened was unfortunate, but I’m looking forward to working with Strikeforce,” said Zingano.

“Strikeforce was kind enough to let me take this fight with Invicta, but I’m still under contract with them and will be ready to go when they decide when and where I’ll be fighting next.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC and other MMA news.

Cat Zingano Could Have Quit Fighting, but Didn’t Want to be a Product of Circumstance (UFC 200 Video)

The past couple of years have been rough for UFC bantamweight contender Cat Zingano, but as a proud mom, she refused to give up. read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Julianna Pena Tops Cat Zingano in Featured Prelim

Julianna Pena picked up the biggest win of her UFC career on Saturday, beating Cat Zingano in the featured UFC 200 prelim fight at the T-Mobile in Las Vegas. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs Julianna Pena Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

After 16 months off, No. 3 bantamweight and former title contender Cat Zingano (9-2) faced Julianna Pena, the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate at UFC 200. After a promising f read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Julianna Pena Spoils Cat Zingano’s Return

Women bantamweight contenders Cat Zingano and Julianna Pena fought at UFC 200 to determine who would solidify themselves as a title contender. read news >>

Mizuki Inoue Steps in as Late Replacement at Invicta FC 18

Invicta Fighting Championships has announced that Mizuki Inoue as the replacement for undefeated Indian fighter Manjit Kolekar at Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel. read news >>

Megan Anderson Expects to Continue the Climb Up the Featherweight Ladder at Invicta FC 18

Megan Anderson expects to continue her climb up the featherweight ladder toward Cris Cyborg with her fight at Invicta FC 18 on Friday. read news >>

For Aspen Ladd, Nothing Else Matters Beyond Invicta FC 18

• a day ago

Aspen Ladd is zeroed in on Jessica Hoy at Friday night's Invicta FC 18. For her, whatever comes next, comes next. read news >>

Finally Healthy, Lynn Alvarez Returns Against Mizuki at Invicta FC 18

• a day ago

Lynn Alvarez will finally return to fighting on Friday, when she takes on late replacement Mizuki Inoue in a main card 115-pound bout at Invicta FC 18. read news >>

UFC 201: Can Robbie Lawler Escape Upset Curse & Get Past Tyron Woodley?

• 11 hours ago

Tyron Woodley may be the most dangerous kind of opponent for Robbie Lawler right now—under-hyped and overqualified. When the two occasional teammates at American Top Team meet at Saturday’s UFC 201, read news >>

Jodie Esquibel ‘Feels Good’ About Invicta FC 18 Match-Up Against Unbeaten Alexa Grasso

• 9 hours ago

Jodie Esquibel will have no easy task in her return to Invicta on Friday, when she faces undefeated prospect Alexa Grasso in the evening’s 115-pound main event. read news >>