Carwin Agrees to Return at UFC 131, Was Offered Nelson Bout


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Shane Carwin | Sherdog.com


Former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin has agreed to make his Octagon return in June.

In a blog post on his official website, Carwin on Tuesday revealed that he “rapidly accepted” an offer to fight at UFC 131, an event expected to take place on June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver.

“As of this blog no opponent has been mentioned,” Carwin wrote.

The 36-year-old mechanical engineer also stated that he had agreed to a match with “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 10 winner Roy Nelson at UFC 130 on May 28. Carwin said that he was told the bout was “90% a go” before the UFC decided to go “a different direction” for Nelson, who is now rumored to face former champion Frank Mir at the event.

Carwin, who began his career with 12 straight first-round finishes, has not competed since suffering the first loss of his career to Brock Lesnar last July at UFC 116. After nearly finishing then-champion Lesnar in the first round of the title unification bout, Carwin tired and was submitted via arm-triangle choke in the second period.

“I am training hard and working on fixing the issues I ran into during the Lesnar fight,” wrote Carwin in the same post.

In August, Carwin’s name was reportedly included in a list of professional athletes who had received shipments in 2006 from J. Michael Bennett, an Alabama pharmacist convicted of participating in a nationwide anabolic steroid ring. Carwin has not tested positive for steroids or any banned substance in his MMA career.

Originally slated to face Nelson at UFC 125 on New Year’s Day, Carwin withdrew from that bout due to back pain. In November, Carwin underwent successful surgery to relieve pressure from his C5, 6 and 7 vertebrae.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 44 views

Before he defends his title this week against Lyoto Machida at UFC 175, watch middleweight champion Chris Weidman on his way to the “Submission of the Night” at UFC 131.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

  • 19 days ago
  • 68 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to return to the cage after nearly three years on the shelf. more

  • 18 days ago
  • 46 views

Top UFC women’s bantamweight contender Cat Zingano, after nearly a year and a half on the sidelines, will make her return at UFC 178 on Sept. 27 in Las Vegas. She’ll get no warm-up fight, however. more

  • 28 days ago
  • 40 views

From Yahoo Sports: Struve was diagnosed with a leaking aortic valve in 2013. After treatment he is back and has been assured by doctors that he is at no greater risk than any other fighter. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 156 views

Mixed martial arts is a sport filled with uncertainties and few are more familiar with this reality than Stefan Struve. Five years ago, the rangy Dutchmen came to the UFC and quickly established himself as a fighter of potential and promise in the heavyweight ranks—a division in desperate need of young talent. While there were setbacks along the way, "The Skyscraper" proved there was legitimacy behind the expectation, as he bounced back strong time and time again. It didn't take long for Struve more

  • 22 days ago
  • 59 views

Stefane Struve was supposed to return to the UFC after a 16-month absence from the sport at UFC 175 on Saturday against Matt Mitrione, but his comeback will have to wait. more

  • 19 days ago
  • 40 views

We’ll try this one more time. It will be just shy of three years to the day, but Dominick Cruz once again has a date mapped out for his return. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

  • 19 days ago
  • 29 views

Welcome back, Dominick Cruz. The former UFC bantamweight champion Cruz has been out of action since the fall of 2011, but he will make his return to the Octagon nearly three years later at UFC 178. Cruz teased his fight earlier in the day prior to the revelation of who his opponent would be. Cruz confirmed his return bout to ESPN on Tuesday evening, and he will go opposite No. 5-ranked Takeya Mizugaki. Mizugaki has been on a roll in recent fights. The former WEC title contender has reeled off fi more

  • 19 days ago
  • 136 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to make his long-awaited return at UFC 178 against Takeya Mizugaki, UFC officials confirmed on Tuesday evening. more