Carla EsparzaFor Invicta FC 115-pound title contender Carla Esparza, last year was a banner year.

“I think 2012 couldn’t have gone better,” Esparza told MMAWeekly.com. “I really displayed my wrestling in fights, which is something I was scared to do in previous years.

“I think it’s something I always had, but I was possibly not as confident in my jiu-jitsu, so I didn’t want to take people down or do this or that. Now that my ground and pound is coming along, I feel comfortable standing or on the ground. It will be great to have that wrestling and decide where the fight goes.”

Originally Esparza was set to start off 2013 against Claudia Gadelha on Saturday night for the Invicta 115-pound title, but due to injury, in steps Bec Hyatt.

While some portions of her game plan will have to change due to the different styles of her opponents, some areas remain the same for Esparza.

“I think my advantage is, I’ve been in a bad spot and I’ve come out of it,” said Esparza. “She hasn’t gone to many decision fights, so I can definitely push the pace and in the later rounds it’s going to wear on her.

“Strength has never been an issue for me. I don’t think she’s just going to overpower me and stop my game plan.”

Getting the opportunity to headline Invicta’s first show of the year and fight for a title brings its own special kind of pressure. But dealing with those kinds of expectations is nothing new according to Esparza.

“It’s pressure definitely, but every fight is pressure to me, headline or not,” said Esparza. “I feel honored that I have this fight and it makes me feel like I want to perform. I know I’m going to have a lot of eyes on me, so it’s more pressure on me to train hard and show my skillset out there.”

For Esparza, taking the Invicta strawweight belt Saturday night will be just another step towards her larger goal of being recognized as the absolute best fighter in her division, period.

Invicta FC 4 on PPV“Generally it’s fight to fight, but the goal is always to have a belt, to be No. 1 in the world,” said Esparza. “I’ve been working towards that, and whether it takes two or three fights or ten fights, that’s what I want.

“I think (this fight) is going to sustain that I deserve to be where I’m at and be in that cage fighting for the title and I deserve to have it.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Invicta FC 4 news and updates.

With sights on motherhood, UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk says retirement not far off

Appreciate Joanna Jedrzejczyk now – because the reigning UFC strawweight champion might not be active in the sport for much longer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 205's Joanna Jedrzejczyk says she's 'too good for them all' ahead of fourth title defense

NEW YORK – Although UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk has said retirement isn’t too many fights away, the entirety of her focus right now sits on her upcoming UFC 205 title defense against read news >>

UFC Strawweight Champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk Discusses Her New Camp and UFC 205

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk has been the picture of dominance in her six UFC outings. Aside from a contentious split decision over Claudia Gadelha in her second fight with the promoti read news >>

It's a Different Energy in New York | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 4 of UFC 205 Embedded, strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk stays sharp. Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez talks up his bout on ESPN. read news >>

An Academic Analysis of Joanna Jedrzejczyk's Trash Talk | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC Reigning UFC Women's Strawweight Champion Joanna "Champion" Jedrzejczyk recently told us that she doesn't like trash talk and doesn't engage in it. And perhaps that's read news >>

Twitter reacts to Joanna Jedrzejczyk's title defense vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205

Joanna Jedrzejczyk continued to jolt fear into the UFC strawweight division at UFC 205 when she defended her belt for the fourth consecutive time against Karolina Kowalkiewicz on Saturday at Madison read news >>

UFC 205 results: Joanna Jedrzejczyk retains title against tough and gritty Karolina Kowalkiewicz

NEW YORK – UFC women’s strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk dominated her countrywoman Karolina Kowalkiewicz, but she did not emerged unscathed. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Relentlessly Defends Her Strawweight Championship (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s mixed martial arts record has been spotless, and she wasn’t about to let her countrywoman change that. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz Results: UFC 205 Winner, Reaction

Joanna Jedrzejczyk can't be stopped. Following three consecutive strawweight title defenses, the 29-year-old defeated Polish compatriot Karolina Kowalkiewicz by unanimous decision Saturday night at U read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Retains Belt Against Karolina Kowalkiewicz (UFC 205 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Women's strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk retained her 115-pound title on Saturday against fellow Polish standout Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205. read news >>