Can UFC President Dana White Lure Nick Diaz Out of Retirement by Offering Him Lyoto Machida?


Nick-Diaz-UFC-137-Press-01-478x270One thing is certain in the UFC middleweight division: former champion Anderson Silva has a rematch lined up with the man that dethroned him, Chris Weidman.

Where things go beyond that is anybody’s best guess.

UFC president Dana White isn’t standing pat, however. After revealing to UFC Tonight this week that he wanted to match up Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida at middleweight as the UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks co-main event in November, the company president has added a twist to the situation.

While Machida’s camp warmed to the Belfort fight, Belfort has been reluctant to take any non-title fight in the middleweight division. So White has apparently turned to currently retired welterweight Nick Diaz as a potential opponent for Machida.

“I talked to Diaz today, and I made him an offer, so we’ll see what happens,” White said during a special Q&A session at Boston’s Barrio Cantina on Wednesday night, according to a report by MMAJunkie.com. “He had been talking about going to 185 pounds. Machida has been talking about going to 185 pounds. So we wanted to see if he wanted to fight Machida at 185.”

The question and answer session was part of UFC Homecoming, a fundraising event to benefit The Shawn Thornton Foundation.

Diaz’s camp didn’t have an immediate answer for White, and there has been no word yet from Machida’s camp.

Machida is coming off of a disappointing unanimous decision loss to Phil Davis at UFC 163.

Diaz indicated that he was retired after losing to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158 in March, unless a rematch was in the offing.

But can Dana White lure him out of retirement by dangling a middleweight bout with Machida in front of him?

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 4 views

Vitor Belfort wants an interim UFC middleweight title shot. Or wait a minute, maybe he doesn’t. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 6 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship has been scrambling to find someone to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 184 next month, but apparently “The Phenom” is being picky. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

Dana White confirmed that Vitor Belfort turned down a bout against Lyoto Machida after constantly bugging him about an interim title fight. Shortly after UFC 183 ended, Dana White confirmed the news read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 14 views

Vitor Belfort was set to face Chris Weidman at UFC 184 on February 28th for the UFC middleweight title, but as it was reported Friday, that main event is off as Weidman has suffered an injury in trai read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 0 views

Vitor Belfort wants no part of Lyoto Machida. At least not at UFC 184. Belfort, who found himself without an opponent after Chris Weidman went down with an injury, reportedly declined the chance to f read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC President Dana White said his phone started ringing as soon as middleweight champion Chris Weidman (12-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) withdrew from next month’s UFC 184. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 309 views

The UFC was willing to create an interim middleweight title after Chris Weidman pulled out from a UFC 184 bout with Vitor Belfort due to an injury, but the Brazilian declined to face Lyoto Machida on read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 498 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight No. 1 contender, Vitor Belfort, is not afraid to fight former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida, who volunteered to replace the injured Chris read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 44 views

Vitor Belfort asked for an interim title when an injury forced Chris Weidman out of a UFC middleweight title fight with "The Phenom" on Dec. 6, but the UFC decided to push the pairing back to Feb. 28 read news >>