If you thought Tony Ferguson (13-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) looked a little flat in his May 2012 loss to Michael Johnson, it would probably be fair to note that he fought much of the contest with a broken left forearm.

“I left it out there, and I ate it up with a pair of kicks – some roundhouse kicks from Michael Johnson,” Ferguson told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “It broke the ulna. It burst like a firecracker. It was round two. It was maybe two-and-a-quarter minutes into round two.”

Ferguson didn’t make it readily apparent his limb had been shattered, save for a minor shaking of his arm.

“Thirty seconds afterwards, you can see me shake my hand out like, ‘Oh, OK. It’s kind of alive,’” Ferguson said. “It felt like an old football injury where it just got really cold, and I didn’t know if it was broke or whatever. I just thought it was sore, so I was hoping the pain would go away. Eventually it got numb with the adrenaline and everything.

“I had to use the anatomy and physiology in my head thinking, ‘OK, I’ve got to put my elbow underneath my hand like a table.’ I had to think about what I was doing physically.”

At that point, “El Cucuy” knew he was in trouble, but he vowed to continue fighting on. It was obvious he wasn’t operating at 100 percent, but Ferguson carried on to the final bell.

“I was throwing out there like a jab, and he was running into it,” Ferguson said. “I was shaking his head back like a PEZ dispenser. I was throwing like three-hit combos with my right hand, but I couldn’t defend for crap. It kind of sucked. I was getting popped left and right. But I made it to the end.

“I already kind of knew I lost, but it was just more like, ‘Alright, let’s go get this arm checked out.’”

Ferguson’s arm needed surgical repair, which is why he’s been forced out of action for the past year. But as the limb has healed, so has Ferguson’s confidence.

“At first they had a little plate, but now I’m a X-man,” Ferguson joked. “They put a huge blade in there, kind of like a big old plate, right there. It’s like battle armor. It’s kind of crazy.”

Ferguson, the winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 13,” saw a six-fight win streak snapped with the loss. While the injury makes the result understandable, Ferguson felt the result was a wake-up call, and he relocated to Southern California in an effort to re-invent himself.

“I flipped my whole life around when I moved out here, and I decided I’ve got to get better,” Ferguson said. “I’ve got to get stronger mentally, and I’ve got to learn from this. I’ve got to come back out, and I’ve got to come back with a vengeance.”

Ferguson has finally resumed training, and he’s one medical exam away from full clearance, at which point he can book his next UFC appearance. Ferguson said he’s ready for a strong rebound, and he wants to do it against stiff competition.

“I need a good fight,” Ferguson said. “I don’t want a tomato can. I don’t want anything like that. I want to go out and put on a show.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Bob Sapp vs. Akebono Rematch Set for Bellator-Affiliated New Year's Eve Card

• a day ago

And you thought Ken Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie 3 was a sideshow. The same promoters who will bring MMA fans the return of heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko at the end of this year will, during the read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum on narrow loss: Don't take anything away from Neil Magny

MONTERREY, Mexico – Whether or not Kelvin Gastelum thought he deserved the win in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 78 headliner, he doesn’t want anyone taking anything from his opponent.Filed under: Featur read news >>

UFC: No serious injuries despite hobbled Jorgensen, Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 78

MONTERREY, Mexico – As bad as they looked, the kicks that took UFC bantamweight Scott Jorgensen and featherweight Diego Sanchez didn’t produce serious injuries, the promotion confirmed following Satu read news >>

Holly Holm Comments on Potential Rematch vs. Ronda Rousey

Many MMA fans are already salivating at the thought of a rematch between new UFC women's bantamweight champion Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey, but The Preacher's Daughter isn't putting any pressure on t read news >>

Bellator 146's Brandon Girtz expected bigger fight after upsetting Melvin Guillard

Brandon Girtz thought he would move up the lightweight ladder and face a recognizable name after spoiling the Bellator debut of Melvin Guillard earlier this year.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk Injured, Reportedly Needs Surgery

Following her victory over Valerie Letourneau, UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk said she thought she broke her hand during the fight. She was right. read news >>

UFC 193: Albuquerque Reacts to Holly Holm's KO of Ronda Rousey

If you thought the crowd reaction was amazing when Holly Holm lambasted Ronda Rousey at UFC 193 you haven't seen anything yet. Holm's hometown fans exploded in cheers when they saw Holm dropped the s read news >>

UFC 193: Albuquerque Reacts to Holly Holm's KO of Ronda Rousey

UFC Fight Night 77 results: Chas Skelly stuns Sao Paulo crowd, chokes out Kevin Souza

SAO PAULO – Early in second round, Chas Skelly looked tired, slow, and still suffering from the effects of a near knockout in the previous round, which left him looking like a man headed for trouble read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77’s Yan Cabral: Johnny Case will face his first truly dangerous opponent

So far, Johnny Case has looked like a next big thing in the UFC’s lightweight division. But Yan Cabral, who shot to prominence with a submission of legend Kazushi Sakuraba, said he’s going to end the read news >>