There are a lot of reasons that someone would accept a slot as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series. Maybe it’s a grudge that needs to be settled, like in the case of Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, or maybe it’s just for the exposure the show provides.

For TUF 13 coach Brock Lesnar the motivation to go on the show was pure and simple.

It earned him a fight that will get him closer to regaining the UFC heavyweight title that he lost last year.

The former NCAA champion is already one of the most well known figures to ever compete in the UFC, but Lesnar admits that there are certain things that haunt him about the fight with now champion Cain Velasquez. He’s looking to exorcise those demons with the reality show and the fight with Junior Dos Santos.

“I was healthy physically, but mentally probably not so,” Lesnar said about his fight with Velasquez. “I don’t think it really registers to the general public on my year last year. From being sick and losing 42 pounds and just getting my ass to the gym to recover. Then have a title fight and on top of that, while I’m training for a title fight, a new baby boy, and then fighting Shane Carwin and I was expecting some time off.

“I really needed it mentally more than anything and physically. Then I booked the fight against Cain. If there was one thing that I could learn from that is to maybe spread title fights out a little farther than what I did.”

Hindsight is 20/20, but Lesnar is now focused on the goal of getting ready for the fight against Dos Santos in June at UFC 131, and then facing Velasquez with the title on the line.

The Minnesota resident admits that was the biggest reason for him to do “The Ultimate Fighter.” He hopes that motivation serves him well in June. He also knows that he would have had to fight Dos Santos eventually, so this all works out pretty well.

“Analyzing my loss against Cain, if I had won that fight I’d be fighting Junior, so I’m right back in the same position, but absolutely, it’s the closest thing to getting me a title fight, and getting my UFC heavyweight title back,” Lesnar commented.

One thing that won’t likely be showcased on this season of “The Ultimate Fighter” is a standing grudge between Lesnar and Dos Santos. In past seasons, with coaches like Evans and Jackson or even Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping, there always seemed to be a fuse just waiting to be lit any time the coaches interacted with each other.

Lesnar threw water on that idea right away because simply put, he didn’t spend enough time around Dos Santos to build a grudge during the show.

“I don’t know what them guys are referring to. I probably spent a total of 30 minutes with Junior on the show. I didn’t make it a point to run into him or anything of that nature. I saw very little of him other than what we were doing for television,” Lesnar disclosed.

Regardless of any pent up aggression boiling over from six weeks together on the show, Lesnar and Dos Santos are battling for a shot at the UFC heavyweight title when they meet in June, and that needs no extra build up.

“The Ultimate Fighter Season 13? debuts this Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Spike TV.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

RFA 26 video highlights: Gilbert Smith wins title with this slick armbar

Gilbert Smith is the new RFA welterweight title, and this nifty armbar is the reason why.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Malki Kawa slams Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Jon Jones manager, Malki Kawa ridicules the Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson light-heavyweight title fight. Yesterday, the UFC announced that Daniel Cormier's first light-heavyweight title def read news >>

Cannonier In for Injured Van Buren in Nashville

Following an injury suffered by TUF 19 finalist Matt Van Buren, the UFC debut of unbeaten light heavyweight Jonathan Wilson on August 8 in Nashville will now take place against Jared Cannonier. read news >>

TUF 17's Luke Barnatt implies that he's been released from the UFC

An Instagram message to his fans seems to spell out the end of Luke Barnatt's time in the UFC. Luke Barnatt's loss to Mark Munoz at UFC Fight Night in Manila appears to be the last UFC bout for both read news >>

'TUF 17' veteran Luke Barnatt announces release from UFC after three-fight skid

Luke Barnatt, the top pick on Season 17 of “The Ultimate Fighter” and winner of his first three UFC bouts, has been released from the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

WSOF 21's Smealinho Rama talks Blagoi Ivanov fight, knockout loss to Anthony Hamilton, TUF aversion and more

"The Prince" of WSOF's Heavyweight division will make his first title defense in Edmonton, Canada, tomorrow night (June 5, 2015) against a former hot Bellator prospect. And we get the full scoop befo read news >>

Beyond the Octagon: Former title challengers square off and UFC vets go 3-0

Kazuki Tokudome, TUF: Smashes representative Benny Alloway, and the briefly-signed heavyweight Richard Odoms all notched victories this weekend, plus former WSOF bantamweight title challengers Josh R read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 7

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s seventh episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 7 Recap and Results

Following its first victory of the season, American Top Team already dropped the ball last episode. On this episode of The Ultimate Fighter 21, it looks to regain home-gym advantage from the dominati read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 7

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 7 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>