There are a lot of reasons that someone would accept a slot as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series. Maybe it’s a grudge that needs to be settled, like in the case of Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, or maybe it’s just for the exposure the show provides.

For TUF 13 coach Brock Lesnar the motivation to go on the show was pure and simple.

It earned him a fight that will get him closer to regaining the UFC heavyweight title that he lost last year.

The former NCAA champion is already one of the most well known figures to ever compete in the UFC, but Lesnar admits that there are certain things that haunt him about the fight with now champion Cain Velasquez. He’s looking to exorcise those demons with the reality show and the fight with Junior Dos Santos.

“I was healthy physically, but mentally probably not so,” Lesnar said about his fight with Velasquez. “I don’t think it really registers to the general public on my year last year. From being sick and losing 42 pounds and just getting my ass to the gym to recover. Then have a title fight and on top of that, while I’m training for a title fight, a new baby boy, and then fighting Shane Carwin and I was expecting some time off.

“I really needed it mentally more than anything and physically. Then I booked the fight against Cain. If there was one thing that I could learn from that is to maybe spread title fights out a little farther than what I did.”

Hindsight is 20/20, but Lesnar is now focused on the goal of getting ready for the fight against Dos Santos in June at UFC 131, and then facing Velasquez with the title on the line.

The Minnesota resident admits that was the biggest reason for him to do “The Ultimate Fighter.” He hopes that motivation serves him well in June. He also knows that he would have had to fight Dos Santos eventually, so this all works out pretty well.

“Analyzing my loss against Cain, if I had won that fight I’d be fighting Junior, so I’m right back in the same position, but absolutely, it’s the closest thing to getting me a title fight, and getting my UFC heavyweight title back,” Lesnar commented.

One thing that won’t likely be showcased on this season of “The Ultimate Fighter” is a standing grudge between Lesnar and Dos Santos. In past seasons, with coaches like Evans and Jackson or even Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping, there always seemed to be a fuse just waiting to be lit any time the coaches interacted with each other.

Lesnar threw water on that idea right away because simply put, he didn’t spend enough time around Dos Santos to build a grudge during the show.

“I don’t know what them guys are referring to. I probably spent a total of 30 minutes with Junior on the show. I didn’t make it a point to run into him or anything of that nature. I saw very little of him other than what we were doing for television,” Lesnar disclosed.

Regardless of any pent up aggression boiling over from six weeks together on the show, Lesnar and Dos Santos are battling for a shot at the UFC heavyweight title when they meet in June, and that needs no extra build up.

“The Ultimate Fighter Season 13? debuts this Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Spike TV.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Goes Above and Beyond in Effort to Help TUF Contestant Save His Marriage

In a move rarely seen, the UFC allowed Abdel Medjedoub to leave The Ultimate Fighter house to fly home and deal with his marital problems. read news >>

Jason Gonzalez Building Off of Time on TUF Heading into RFA 38

Jason Gonzalez got a taste of the UFC as part of a season of The Ultimate Fighter. Building off of that heading into RFA 38, he wants to get back to the UFC. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Brock Lesnar Will Fight at UFC 200: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Brock Lesnar last stepped into the Octagon in December 2011, but the former UFC heavyweight champion is ready to resume his MMA career. The UFC announced Lesnar has agreed to return for a fight at UF read news >>

Brock Lesnar Confirmed to Return at UFC 200

The rumors are no longer rumors, former heavyweight champion and WWE superstar Brock Lesnar is returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. read news >>

UFC Releases Trailer for UFC 200 Featuring Brock Lesnar's Return

Can you see him now? Brock Lesnar is coming back to the Octagon. The UFC aired its trailer for UFC 200 during the pay-per-view telecast of UFC 199 on Saturday, revealing The Beast Incarnate's return, read news >>

WWE Confirms Brock Lesnar Still Under Contract, Despite UFC 200 “One-Off Opportunity”

WWE on Saturday night confirmed that Brock Lesnar remains under contract, despite a "one-off" return to the Octagon at UFC 200. read news >>

Brock Lesnar's Shocking UFC Return Is Years Too Late and Right on Time

There are few sports that lend themselves to rumors the way mixed martial arts does. We have seen a backyard brawler become a major star, the sport’s major promoter agree to box one of his stars, and read news >>

HOT TWEETS: UFC Fighters React to Brock Lesnar Fighting at UFC 200

When one of the most popular athletes in UFC history is announced as a fighter scheduled to participate on the UFC 200 card, reactions are of course going to happen on Twitter. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Couldn’t Live with What Could Have Been, Will Fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200

Former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar says that he couldn't live with wondering what could have been, so he's returning at UFC 200 to fight Mark Hunt. read news >>