Brian Stann Believes He Got a Tougher Fight in Jorge Santiago Than if He Got Wanderlei Silva

• submit to reddit

Brian Stann Chris Leben UFC 125Brian Stann will have an awful lot of backup when he steps into the cage at UFC 130 on Saturday night.

Ultimately, Stann will go one-on-one with Jorge Santiago when the Octagon door shuts, but it will feel like he has the entire U.S. military backing him up this weekend. The significance of the former Marine fighting on Memorial Day weekend is quite important to him.

A decorated military veteran who still works with other veterans on almost a daily basis, Stann carries with him so much pride that he believes it’s truly an honor to get the chance to compete on Memorial Day weekend, and to honor other veterans all over the United States and the world.

“I’m fighting Memorial Day weekend, and it wouldn’t matter who I was fighting, but obviously that’s a big deal to me. There’s no way I could quantify it, to put it that way,” Stann told MMAWeekly Radio. “I definitely have my share of haters out there who get sick of hearing about the military whenever my name is brought up. The thing they don’t realize, I don’t ask people to ask me questions about it. People ask me about it because it matters.

Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann at WEC 35

Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann at WEC 35

“They wonder why it continually gets brought up, and things like that, but the fact is Memorial Day means a lot to me and every other veteran. Specifically veterans who have held men when they’ve taken their last breaths, who have been brutally and violently killed. When you go through experiences like that, it always stays with you, it doesn’t go away, you don’t get past it, and the best way for me to deal with it is to dedicate any success I have and really live my life in memory of those individuals.”

Stann fights with a purpose whenever he’s in the cage. He grasps the moment whenever people give him the chance to talk about veterans and the non-profit groups he works with to benefit those that have spent time in the military.

For this fight, Stann will be fighting for all the veterans that are honored on Memorial Day, but he’ll also be fighting for a piece of the pie for himself.

At UFC 130, Stann had originally asked to face former Pride fighter and MMA legend Wanderlei Silva. The Brazilian actually turned down the fight because he felt he would be made the bad guy or villain taking on an American hero like Stann.

In the end, Stann believes Silva turning down the fight was a blessing in disguise because now he faces a Top 10 middleweight who could be in the title hunt very soon.

“I don’t think it was any knock on my skill set or my name or anything. I didn’t take any insult towards that. He’s Wanderlei Silva, he can fight whoever the hell he wants,” Stann commented.

“It didn’t happen, and in the end I got, in my opinion, I got a tougher fight. I got a fight that’s better for me. I got a fight where I have a lot less to lose and a heck of a lot more to gain in Jorge Santiago.”

Santiago will be gunning for UFC gold now that he’s back in the promotion, but he’ll also be searching for bit of redemption. The last time he was in the UFC, he was knocked out and released from his contract.

He returns after winning and defending the Sengoku middleweight title, and positioning himself as one of the top 185-pound fighters in the world. Stann realizes all of that, and plans on capitalizing on the opportunity in front of him.

“Jorge Santiago didn’t come to the UFC to fight in the UFC. He came here to go win the middleweight championship,” said Stann. “He relinquished one world title to go win another one. He pretty much cleaned anybody out that they could offer him to fight over there in Japan. He has his sites set on fighting Anderson Silva, and they happened to give him me first.”

If Santiago is looking to build his name in the UFC by beating Stann, the former Marine will have a thing or two to say about that on Saturday night.

“That’s going to be the contest in there,” Stann commented. “Who can impose whose will, and who can execute whose game plan the best.

“I know I’m going out there to make sure that’s me on the 28th.”

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The MMA legend says "everything was cleared" following his appearance before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about an incident in which he fled from a random drug test. Before Chael Sonnen had to pull out of UFC 175, his initial opponent Wanderlei Silva was pulled from the card for fleeing from a NSAC surprise drug test. UFC president Dana White told the media he expected Silva to be "in big trouble" with the commission. Silva has since attended a hearing before the commission and he told B more

• 54 minutes ago

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension. Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional career as a Mixed Martial Artist is complete, Wanderlei Silva is still convinced that his longtime nemesis will still weasel his way back to the octagon once he competes his suspension. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Wand told Submiss more

Luke Barnatt sees a fight with Wanderlei Silva as a springboard for his resume and a bit of payback for his friend, former “The Ultimate Fighter 17? coach and now-retired title challenger Chael Sonnen. Filed under: News, UFC more

Luke Barnatt, friend of Chael Sonnen, wants to fight against Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't know his challenger but accepts the bout anyway. One of Chael Sonnen's pupils on The Ultimate Fighter season 17, Luke Barnatt, wants to settle matters with one of his coach's enemies, Wanderlei Silva. The Englishman's challenge was already accepted, as "The Axe Murderer" told Combate.com that he is up for the fight, aeven though he doesn't know who his opponent is. He also mentioned that bouts against Vitor more

Legendary MMA fighter Bas Rutten believes Wanderlei Silva's recent drug fiasco will certainly tarnish his legacy. Bas Rutten is disappointed in Wanderlei Silva's recent downturn outside of the cage and believes the Brazilian's actions will "tarnish" his otherwise remarkable legacy. The former UFC heavyweight champion joined Australia's Submission Radio, where he discussed Silva's recent troubles with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that stem from "The Axe Murderer's" failure to comply with more

Former WEC Light heavyweight champion and UFC middleweight contender Brian Stann has made it clear where he stands on the Chael Sonnen situation. The criticism levelled at Chael Sonnen in the wake of his second failed drug test of 2014 just keeps on going. As if being forced into retirement, fired from his roles as an analyst for FOX and suffering widespread criticism from media and fans alike, one of Sonnen's co-analysts Brian Stann tweeted the below today: Adversity reveals true character, if more

And according to the war veteran, Sonnen left his employers with "no choice." If retired Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) attraction Chael Sonnen was hoping to get some love from his FOX friends after the network unceremoniously dumped him last night (June 30, 2014), he may have to lean on Kenny Florian or perhaps even Karyn Bryant. He won't be getting much sympathy from fellow analyst Brian Stann. "@AverageJoeArt: @BrianStann do you think UFC/FOX making an example of Chael is just?" Yes, ab more

Don’t expect Brian Stann to come to the defense of his former opponent and colleague Chael Sonnen. The retired middleweight and Fox UFC analyst was asked on Twitter Monday if he thought Sonnen’s firing was “just," and he said he thinks it was. According to Shaun Al-Shatti of MMA Fighting, Sonnen, who tested positive for a total of five banned substances in his two recent random drug tests, was terminated by the UFC and Fox Sports this week. The former United States Marine has been a consummate p more

Silva says he doesn't expect his MMA career to be cut short without the now-banned treatment. Antonio Silva was suspended for nine months after his epic, five-round brawl against Mark Hunt -- which resulted in a rare draw -- at UFC Fight Night 33 last December. The reason? Elevated testosterone levels as a result of bad doctor's advice, according to "Bigfoot," who was approved for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) due to his battle with acromegaly. Despite his recent setbacks, Silva eyes a more