Brian Stann Believes He Got a Tougher Fight in Jorge Santiago if He Got Wanderlei Silva

• submit to reddit

Brian Stann Chris Leben UFC 125Brian Stann will have an awful lot of backup when he steps into the cage at UFC 130 on Saturday night.

Ultimately, Stann will go one-on-one with Jorge Santiago when the Octagon door shuts, but it will feel like he has the entire U.S. military backing him up this weekend. The significance of the former Marine fighting on Memorial Day weekend is quite important to him.

A decorated military veteran who still works with other veterans on almost a daily basis, Stann carries with him so much pride that he believes it’s truly an honor to get the chance to compete on Memorial Day weekend, and to honor other veterans all over the United States and the world.

“I’m fighting Memorial Day weekend, and it wouldn’t matter who I was fighting, but obviously that’s a big deal to me. There’s no way I could quantify it, to put it that way,” Stann told MMAWeekly Radio. “I definitely have my share of haters out there who get sick of hearing about the military whenever my name is brought up. The thing they don’t realize, I don’t ask people to ask me questions about it. People ask me about it because it matters.

Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann at WEC 35

Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann at WEC 35

“They wonder why it continually gets brought up, and things like that, but the fact is Memorial Day means a lot to me and every other veteran. Specifically veterans who have held men when they’ve taken their last breaths, who have been brutally and violently killed. When you go through experiences like that, it always stays with you, it doesn’t go away, you don’t get past it, and the best way for me to deal with it is to dedicate any success I have and really live my life in memory of those individuals.”

Stann fights with a purpose whenever he’s in the cage. He grasps the moment whenever people give him the chance to talk about veterans and the non-profit groups he works with to benefit those that have spent time in the military.

For this fight, Stann will be fighting for all the veterans that are honored on Memorial Day, but he’ll also be fighting for a piece of the pie for himself.

At UFC 130, Stann had originally asked to face former Pride fighter and MMA legend Wanderlei Silva. The Brazilian actually turned down the fight because he felt he would be made the bad guy or villain taking on an American hero like Stann.

In the end, Stann believes Silva turning down the fight was a blessing in disguise because now he faces a Top 10 middleweight who could be in the title hunt very soon.

“I don’t think it was any knock on my skill set or my name or anything. I didn’t take any insult towards that. He’s Wanderlei Silva, he can fight whoever the hell he wants,” Stann commented.

“It didn’t happen, and in the end I got, in my opinion, I got a tougher fight. I got a fight that’s better for me. I got a fight where I have a lot less to lose and a heck of a lot more to gain in Jorge Santiago.”

Santiago will be gunning for UFC gold now that he’s back in the promotion, but he’ll also be searching for bit of redemption. The last time he was in the UFC, he was knocked out and released from his contract.

He returns after winning and defending the Sengoku middleweight title, and positioning himself as one of the top 185-pound fighters in the world. Stann realizes all of that, and plans on capitalizing on the opportunity in front of him.

“Jorge Santiago didn’t come to the UFC to fight in the UFC. He came here to go win the middleweight championship,” said Stann. “He relinquished one world title to go win another one. He pretty much cleaned anybody out that they could offer him to fight over there in Japan. He has his sites set on fighting Anderson Silva, and they happened to give him me first.”

If Santiago is looking to build his name in the UFC by beating Stann, the former Marine will have a thing or two to say about that on Saturday night.

“That’s going to be the contest in there,” Stann commented. “Who can impose whose will, and who can execute whose game plan the best.

“I know I’m going out there to make sure that’s me on the 28th.”

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension. Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional career as a Mixed Martial Artist is complete, Wanderlei Silva is still convinced that his longtime nemesis will still weasel his way back to the octagon once he competes his suspension. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Wand told Submiss read news >>

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Silva told Submission Radio. "I hope this fight is gonna happen." "I think him and [Vitor] Belfort are just the two good fights that have a reason to happen for me." The pair were slated to fight Jul. 5 at UFC 175 before they each ran afoul of the Nevada State Athleti read news >>

The MMA legend says "everything was cleared" following his appearance before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about an incident in which he fled from a random drug test. Before Chael Sonnen had to pull out of UFC 175, his initial opponent Wanderlei Silva was pulled from the card for fleeing from a NSAC surprise drug test. UFC president Dana White told the media he expected Silva to be "in big trouble" with the commission. Silva has since attended a hearing before the commission and he told B read news >>

Luke Barnatt sees a fight with Wanderlei Silva as a springboard for his resume and a bit of payback for his friend, former “The Ultimate Fighter 17? coach and now-retired title challenger Chael Sonnen. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luke Barnatt, friend of Chael Sonnen, wants to fight against Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't know his challenger but accepts the bout anyway. One of Chael Sonnen's pupils on The Ultimate Fighter season 17, Luke Barnatt, wants to settle matters with one of his coach's enemies, Wanderlei Silva. The Englishman's challenge was already accepted, as "The Axe Murderer" told Combate.com that he is up for the fight, aeven though he doesn't know who his opponent is. He also mentioned that bouts against Vitor read news >>

Former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva had his grudge match with Chael Sonnen scheduled for earlier this month postponed after "The Axe Murderer" ran into some trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but he still thinks the bout will happen. The Brazilian slugger allegedly refused to take a random drug test administered by the commission, on top of not applying for his fighter's license on time, so he was removed from UFC 175 in late May, per MMA Fighting. While Sonnen was quick to pok read news >>

Where you at, Ralek? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva, who coached alongside bitter rival Chael Sonnen on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil," still wants to settle their score after years of public quarreling. It could be awhile. Sonnen -- who insists he's retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) -- is currently serving a two-year suspension handed down by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for a pair of failed drug tests. In addition, Si read news >>

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) has yet to announce a punishment for Wanderlei Silva for refusing to do a random drug test and later admitting the use of diuretics, but the former PRIDE champion is confident he won’t face any hurdles once he decides to get back in the Octagon. Silva, who hasn’t fought since March of 2013, said in an interview to Tatame in Brazil that he’s "totally clean and cleared to fight as soon as possible." "Life is great. I’m training well," Silva said. "I did a test read news >>

Whew, that's a relief. Somebody call the athletic commission and tell them to wrap this thing up, we're all good on this end. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight and part-time light heavyweight, Wanderlei Silva, is either off his rocker, or privy to information the rest of the mixed martial arts (MMA) community has yet to discover. I'm not sure how else to explain his cavalier attitude toward his recent dust up with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). One that could see th read news >>