Brian Foster Matt Brown UFC 123

A victorious Brian Foster at UFC 123

Bellator’s upcoming welterweight tournament has undergone a late change as Brian Foster will be unable to compete on the Bellator 63 fight card at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. He will be replaced by up-and-comer Jordan Smith.

Bellator officials announced the change on Thursday.

Foster was not medically cleared to fight by the Mohegan Sun Commission and will have to be screened and go through additional testing before he’s able to compete again.

In 2011, Foster was pulled from UFC 129 in Toronto after a pre-fight medical scan revealed a brain hemorrhage. He subsequently left the promotion. Foster returned to action in October 2011 and picked up back-to-back wins before signing with Bellator.

Unfortunately, the commission at the Mohegan Sun was unable to clear Foster in time for next weekend’s fights, so he will have to wait for his Bellator debut for another day.

“Brian’s a hugely talented fighter who we were hoping to see next Friday, but his Bellator premiere will need to be delayed just a bit,” Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney said. “But to pick up a rising star in Jordan Smith and place him into the fire of our $100,000 Welterweight Tournament is what makes great moments. The Mohegan Sun Commission is one of the best in the world and we support their decision.”

Jordan Smith jumps in the Bellator welterweight tournament with an impressive 17-2 record overall, and recently picked up a win over former UFC contender Karo Parisyan in Brazil.

Smith will now face David Rickels in the opening round of the Bellator welterweight tournament kicking off next Friday at the Mohegan Sun.

“This is the best opportunity I’ve ever had in my career,” Smith said. “This is the break I’ve been waiting for. What I like about Bellator is there’s a clear line of sight to the title.”

While there’s no time to waste on getting ready for the new fight, Smith is confident that his experience will carry him through as he attempts to earn his way to a Bellator tournament win.

“It’s such short notice that I haven’t had a chance to do much research on Dave,” Smith said. “I see that he’s undefeated and most of his wins have come by submission. From the clips I’ve seen it looks like he finds a way to win.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Bellator 133: Julia Budd vs Gabrielle Holloway booked with Talita Nogueira injured

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

A late change of opponent has reshuffled the line up for Bellator's next big card on Friday the 13th. The injury bug bites again again. Spike TV recently sent out the word that Julia Budd's original read news >>

GLORY 19: Holzken tells champ Valtellini 'I'm coming for you'

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

Nieky ‘The Natural’ Holzken won the GLORY 13 TOKYO welterweight tournament in December 2013 and expected to be crowned as GLORY’s first 170lb/77kg champion. But in January 2014 he was in a car accide read news >>

Dan Hardy On UFC Krakow, Berlin and Glasgow

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

British UFC welterweight and UFC commentator, Dan Hardy, shares his thoughts on the three upcoming European UFC events, announced last month by the organisation read news >>

Europe is Calling: One on One with German Fighter Daniel Weichel | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

One week before Bellator 133, Germany's Daniel Weichel talks about his upcoming fight against former Bellator champion Pat Curran. read news >>

GLORY 19 results recap: Nieky Holzken wins welterweight contender tournament last night on Spike TV

  • 27 days ago
  • 13 views

"The Natural" defeated Alexandr Stetcurenko via unanimous decision and Raymond Daniels by technical knockout to win the GLORY 19 one-night, four-man welterweight contender tournament to earn a shot a read news >>

Carlos Condit thinks UFC welterweight title may change hands this year

  • 25 days ago
  • 14 views

LAS VEGAS -- During a scrum at UFC 183, Carlos Condit talks about potentially fighting again in May, his recovery and rehab from a knee injury, the welterweight title picture, making the best of the read news >>

Six New Bouts Added to UFC Fight Night 63 Fight Card in Fairfax | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced six new bouts for the upcoming UFC Fight Night 63 fight card in Fairfax on Monday. read news >>

Champ Patricio 'Pitbull': Bellator bonuses could 'change the sport as we know it'

  • 24 days ago
  • 6 views

For fighters on the UFC roster, the chance to make an additional $50,000 or even $100,000 per fight with the company’s performance bonuses can prove a life-changing opportunity. Bellator MMA featherw read news >>

Alexander Shlemenko still contemplating a move to welterweight but wants belt back

  • 23 days ago
  • 7 views

There was a time very recently when former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko thought he was a welterweight.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>