Brendan Schaub Gets His Wish, Meets Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 134 in Brazil

• submit to reddit

Twenty-four hours ago, he was still waiting for the offer, and on Monday he got it.

Brendan Schaub will get his wish and meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 134 in Brazil in August. The bout was confirmed by UFC officials on Monday.

Schaub (8-1) has been on a tear ever since losing a fight to Roy Nelson in “The Ultimate Fighter Season 10? finale. Since that time, the Colorado fighter has reeled off four wins in a row, including a knockout of former Pride Grand Prix champion Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic in his last fight.

Schaub has been lobbying for a fight with Nogueira ever since that win. Now he gets his chance.

Nogueira (32-6-1) will be trying to get his career back on track when he steps foot in the cage in his home country of Brazil in August. Since coming to the UFC, Nogueira has gone 3-2 overall, but not looked like the submission machine that ruled the roost in Pride not so long ago.

The Brazilian recently underwent knee and hip surgery to repair long standing ailments, but will be gunning to reclaim his top spot when he faces Schaub in August. The bout between Nogueira and Schaub should garner a spot on the night’s main card in Brazil.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Down, but not out. "I had surgery four weeks ago, and I'm doing fine now. ACL surgery takes at least five months to return to fighting. I'm doing physical therapy now. I know the limits of my body. I won't get myself injured again. I can do other things. I ride bikes and work out every day, but I can't train yet. I still have what it takes. I will return next year. I have plans to be in shape and fight again, for sure. I want to recover first, and then I will see how I feel." Ultimate Fighting C more

Antonio Silva won’t waste any time getting back to work when his suspension wraps up – and he apparently will be doing it at home in a rematch against Andrei Arlovski.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is on the shelf again, and he won’t think about fighting before recovering from another right knee surgery.
"Minotauro" tore his ACL days before fighting Roy Nelson at the main event of UFC Fight Night 39 in Abu Dhabi in April, and he’s not cleared to train yet.
"I had surgery four weeks ago, and I’m doing fine now," Nogueira told MMAFighting.com. "ACL surgery takes at least five months to return to fighting. I’m doing physical therapy now. I know the l more

Winning Bellator MMA’s ill-fated “Fight Master” show didn’t earn Joe Riggs another bout in the promotion, but perhaps it played a role in the Arizona native signing with the UFC. more

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva won’t get what he was hoping for.
"Bigfoot" was campaigning for a heavyweight clash with Josh Barnett, but he will instead face another former UFC champion in Andrei Arlovski in the main event of the UFC Fight Night card in Brasilia, Brazil, on Sept. 13. MMAFighting.com confirmed the match-up with sources close to the situation following a report from Combate.
Silva and Arlovski fought for the first time in 2010 under the Strikeforce banner, and "Bigfoot" came out victori more

Antonio Silva got the best of Andrei Arlovski under the Strikeforce banner in 2010. “Bigfoot” will apparently get the chance to do the same on his home soil this September. more

Just a few days after he asked, Derrick Lewis received. Lewis will meet Matt Mitrione in a heavyweight tussle when the UFC returns to Connecticut for UFC Fight Night 50.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

Nighty night!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight hurter, Antonio Silva, is jumping right back into the thick of things against Andrei Arlovski at UFC Fight Night 51, which takes place on Sept. 13, 2014 inside Nilson Nelson Gymnasium in Brasilia.
"Bigfoot" has been benched since last December following a failed drug test.
When he does step foot inside the cage, it will be against a familiar face. He first did the dance with "The Pitbull" under the Strikeforce banner back in 2010, in more

One day after the announcement of Efrain Escudero’s deal with Titan Fighting Championships, the TUF 8 winner has jumped to another promotion. MMAFighting.com has learned that Escudero will return to the UFC on Sept. 13, and he will face fellow TUF competitor Francisco Trinaldo.
Titan FC COO Lex McMahon told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani that UFC called him yesterday to get Escudero out of their upcoming card in Fayetteville, and Titan FC was cool with it, per their Zuffa out clause.
UFC Fight more