Two years after signing a contract with the UFC, Geronimo dos Santos is no longer on the UFC roster.

"Mondragon" signed with the promotion in 2012 to compete at the UFC 153 card in Rio de Janeiro against former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga, but he was removed from the card after his pre-fight medical exams indicated he had hepatitis B.

Two years have passed and the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) won’t clear him to compete yet, so he asked to be released from his UFC contract.

"I’m healed, thank God, but my immunity is still low," dos Santos told Tatame. "It takes a long time to be right back up, and I was losing money, because I couldn’t fight during the treatment, even if I’m already healed. The Nevada Athletic Commission is very strict, and I’m not cleared to fight until my immune system is back to normal. I want to fight again, but I couldn’t do anything here since I had an exclusive contract with them."

Back in June, dos Santos’ manager Alex Davis explained to MMAFighting.com why the NAC wouldn’t let him fight.

"His viral count is now at zero, which means he doesn’t have the disease anymore, but Nevada demands three positive results for antibodies and we’re still waiting for the last one," he said. "Doctors said that when you undergo a chemotherapy treatment like he did, the last one usually takes longer than the other ones, but he can’t fight until it does.

"I find it a little extreme because there’s no viral count anymore. There’s no virus, he no longer transmits the disease, but I’m not a doctor and I can’t question the athletic commission, so we have to wait."

"Mondragon" already has four fights scheduled from September to November in Brazil. With a 33-14 record and riding an 11-fight win streak, the heavyweight hopes to return to the UFC one day.

"Making my UFC debut in this situation would be too much for me," he said. "It’s going to be different now, because I will be fighting and my immune system will be back up soon, so I will be better again. I don’t have anything to lose. I’m 33, but I won’t quit my dream of fighting in the UFC."

Kharitonov explains reasons for not signing with the UFC, would still rematch champ Werdum

Russian heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov explains the reasons why he decided not to sign with the UFC. Currently riding a five-fight win streak dating back to 2011, many fans and pundits believed it wou read news >>

Video: Fedor Emelianenko reveals he's negotiating with UFC, demands world's strongest fighters

"This is being negotiated, in particular with the UFC, as well as some other promotions. I think it will soon be finally determined. As for the opponent, I would say that desire must comply opportuni read news >>

Big Nog takes scouting gig with the UFC, hasn't decided if he will retire yet

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will help the UFC look for new talents in Brazil, but that does not mean he is done fighting yet. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira did have that talk with Dana White. You know, the s read news >>

Reebok's Michael Lunardelli opens up about fight kit criticism, Stitch Duran and partnership with UFC

Reebok's direct participation in the sport of mixed martial arts, and with the UFC specifically as their official apparel provider, hasn't been long. A matter of months, really, and while there have read news >>

Don't look now, but Fedor Emelianenko says he's in talks with the UFC

Less than a month after announcing his return to training for MMA, Fedor Emelianenko says he’s ready to fight the world’s best competition.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Will 2015 be the most successful year in UFC history? We take a look at the numbers

With the success of UFC 189 and UFC 190, the UFC has a chance to make history in 2015. Yesterday the UFC announced that the much anticipated fight between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor would take plac read news >>

Welcome to the UFC, Ngannou & Yusuke

The UFC is going international with two of its latest signings. French heavyweight Francis Ngannou is set to debut in December and Japanese lightweight Yusuke Kasuya debuts in Saitama on September 27 read news >>

What the UFC and WWE could learn from each other

Where the UFC has struggled, the WWE has thrived and vice versa. What could both major companies learn from each other? With the WWE's third biggest event of the year SummerSlam happening this Sunday read news >>

UFC exec: Stitch's Reebok 'comments had nothing to do' with firing

It looks like the UFC is looking to change the narrative on Stitch Duran's recent firing as Lawrence Epstein recently made it clear that Duran's Reebok comments had nothing to do with it. Well, this read news >>

Nate Diaz Gets Next UFC Opponent, Fight Date

Nate Diaz is back, ladies and gentlemen, with the UFC announcing on Monday night that Stockton, California's native son will return to the Octagon on December 19 at UFC on Fox 17. His opponent? Surgi read news >>