Two years after signing a contract with the UFC, Geronimo dos Santos is no longer on the UFC roster.

"Mondragon" signed with the promotion in 2012 to compete at the UFC 153 card in Rio de Janeiro against former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga, but he was removed from the card after his pre-fight medical exams indicated he had hepatitis B.

Two years have passed and the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) won’t clear him to compete yet, so he asked to be released from his UFC contract.

"I’m healed, thank God, but my immunity is still low," dos Santos told Tatame. "It takes a long time to be right back up, and I was losing money, because I couldn’t fight during the treatment, even if I’m already healed. The Nevada Athletic Commission is very strict, and I’m not cleared to fight until my immune system is back to normal. I want to fight again, but I couldn’t do anything here since I had an exclusive contract with them."

Back in June, dos Santos’ manager Alex Davis explained to MMAFighting.com why the NAC wouldn’t let him fight.

"His viral count is now at zero, which means he doesn’t have the disease anymore, but Nevada demands three positive results for antibodies and we’re still waiting for the last one," he said. "Doctors said that when you undergo a chemotherapy treatment like he did, the last one usually takes longer than the other ones, but he can’t fight until it does.

"I find it a little extreme because there’s no viral count anymore. There’s no virus, he no longer transmits the disease, but I’m not a doctor and I can’t question the athletic commission, so we have to wait."

"Mondragon" already has four fights scheduled from September to November in Brazil. With a 33-14 record and riding an 11-fight win streak, the heavyweight hopes to return to the UFC one day.

"Making my UFC debut in this situation would be too much for me," he said. "It’s going to be different now, because I will be fighting and my immune system will be back up soon, so I will be better again. I don’t have anything to lose. I’m 33, but I won’t quit my dream of fighting in the UFC."

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Scott Coker: Failed contract renegotiation led to 'Rampage' Jackson's discussions with UFC

  • 17 days ago
  • 4 views

[autotag]Quinton Jackson[/autotag]'s negotiations with the UFC came after a failed attempt to renegotiate his deal with Bellator. Bellator President Scott Coker claims Jackson's relationship with the read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White expects a call from Brock Lesnar when his WWE contract expires

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

Could the former UFC heavyweight champion be making a comeback? "Apparently Brock Lesnar is a UFC fan and he was in town and wanted to come see the fight tonight. He's under contract with the WWE, an read news >>

Bethe Correia, Jessica Eye Chomping at the Bit for Fight with Ronda Rousey

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

Ronda Rousey continued her reign of dominance at UFC 184 with a swift submission finish over Cat Zingano. That may be underselling the finish. It was 14 seconds long, an incredible performance. A fig read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Burt Watson confirms split with UFC

  • 26 days ago
  • 18 views

After earlier reports, Burt Watson has confirmed that he's leaving the UFC after working over a decade with the company. Rumors were swirling earlier that Burt Watson had walked out in the middle of read news >>

Burt Watson, the 'Babysitter to the Stars,' parts ways with UFC

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

The longtime "Babysitter to the Stars," Burt Watson, has parted ways with the UFC. The longtime site coordinator announced his departure via Twitter on Tuesday. After 14 AMAZING YEARS I've decided to read news >>

Cyborg's manager on Rousey fight: 'We're working hand-in-hand with the UFC'

  • 26 days ago
  • 2 views

From the sound of things a deal to get the biggest fight in women's MMA done is at least in the works, if not quite certain. In case it wasn't clear, from Dana White's constant "I don't know if she c read news >>

Bellator injunction reveals exorbitant contract perks for Rampage Jackson as UFC legal battle continues

  • 24 days ago
  • 183 views

Bellator MMA's filing with the Superior Court in Burlington County, New Jersey, for an injunction against Quinton Jackson, revealed some interesting perks and expenditures they made to the former (an read news >>

Video: M-1 president Vadim Finkelchtein on competing with the UFC in Russia, TV ratings, PEDs & more

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein gives his detailed opinion on the UFC's expansion into the Russian market, competing with them on state television and the ongoing discussion about performance read news >>

Report: UFC may be eyeing Lesnar vs. Mir for first NY show this fall

  • 24 days ago
  • 20 views

With the legalization of MMA once again pressing forward in New York, sources say the UFC may be working to put together a 3rd bout between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir for a Madison Square Garden show read news >>