Two years after signing a contract with the UFC, Geronimo dos Santos is no longer on the UFC roster.

"Mondragon" signed with the promotion in 2012 to compete at the UFC 153 card in Rio de Janeiro against former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga, but he was removed from the card after his pre-fight medical exams indicated he had hepatitis B.

Two years have passed and the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) won’t clear him to compete yet, so he asked to be released from his UFC contract.

"I’m healed, thank God, but my immunity is still low," dos Santos told Tatame. "It takes a long time to be right back up, and I was losing money, because I couldn’t fight during the treatment, even if I’m already healed. The Nevada Athletic Commission is very strict, and I’m not cleared to fight until my immune system is back to normal. I want to fight again, but I couldn’t do anything here since I had an exclusive contract with them."

Back in June, dos Santos’ manager Alex Davis explained to why the NAC wouldn’t let him fight.

"His viral count is now at zero, which means he doesn’t have the disease anymore, but Nevada demands three positive results for antibodies and we’re still waiting for the last one," he said. "Doctors said that when you undergo a chemotherapy treatment like he did, the last one usually takes longer than the other ones, but he can’t fight until it does.

"I find it a little extreme because there’s no viral count anymore. There’s no virus, he no longer transmits the disease, but I’m not a doctor and I can’t question the athletic commission, so we have to wait."

"Mondragon" already has four fights scheduled from September to November in Brazil. With a 33-14 record and riding an 11-fight win streak, the heavyweight hopes to return to the UFC one day.

"Making my UFC debut in this situation would be too much for me," he said. "It’s going to be different now, because I will be fighting and my immune system will be back up soon, so I will be better again. I don’t have anything to lose. I’m 33, but I won’t quit my dream of fighting in the UFC."

Arlovski: Fedor signing with the UFC is a ‘BS rumor’

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski does not believe Fedor Emelianenko will sign with the UFC. read news >>

McGregor says first $100 million UFC fighter contract is 'en route'

• 4 hours ago

Ireland's Conor McGregor claimed that he is 'en route' to signing the UFC's first $100 million fighter contract. read news >>

Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak added to UFC Fight Night 77 in Sao Paulo

Just after signing a contract extension with the UFC, Thomas Almeida has his next assignment. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

From Rough UFC Tenure to KOTC Champ, Reuben Duran is Becoming a Bionic Fighter

Upon his release from the UFC in 2013 after three losses in four fights, Reuben Duran turned his career around and become the King of the Cage flyweight champ. read news >>

Joe Rogan calls Nick Diaz suspension 'an irresponsible abuse of power'

UFC analyst Joe Rogan is not pleased with the Nevada Athletic Commission's decision to ban Nick Diaz for 5 years for his latest marijuana offense. While the UFC won't make any official comment on the read news >>

Paige VanZant, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Paige VanZant, the 21-year-old rising mixed martial arts star, already has three fights under the UFC banner and will have more in the future after agreeing to a new contract with the promotion. VanZ read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 complete with addition of Kevin Souza vs. Chas Skelly

Knockout artist Kevin Souza will return to the Octagon in November. The UFC Fight Night 77 card is now complete with the addition of a featherweight clash between Souza and Chas Skelly, sources close read news >>

Miesha Tate: 'I'm not the champion, yet I'm fighting better girls' than Rousey

"Cupcake" is frustrated with the UFC, and says she won't fight Amanda Nunes. When Miesha Tate beat Jessica Eye at UFC on FOX 16 in July, she earned herself another shot at Ronda Rousey. It would have read news >>

Video: Miesha Tate 'frustrated' with UFC, tired of doing Ronda Rousey's heavy lifting

"I'm very frustrated with the UFC. I'm not in a position where I feel like I need to be pushed around and, 'Oh, you take this fight, take that fight.' It makes no sense to me why I'm not the champion read news >>

Werdum disappointed Fedor didn’t choose the UFC, wanted to retire with ‘peace of mind’

UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum expressed disappointment when he heard that Fedor Emelianenko would not sign with the UFC. When Fedor Emelianenko announced his return to professional MMA sev read news >>