CageSport LogoAs Brandon Dudley knows, sometimes things don’t go according to plan and life can get in the way of a fighter’s career. Following his first four fights, Dudley has had a layoff of five years, which he attributes to a multitude of things happening, one after the other.

“I had a title fight with Sportfight lined up, but I dropped out of it because I thought I was going to be on The Ultimate Fighter, but I didn’t get on it,” said Dudley. “Shortly after all of that happened, I started having issues with my knee and ended up having four surgeries. Also, I got married and had some kids. I had a fight lined up last year, but it ended up falling through three days out. So it’s been a combination of all those things.”

During his layoff, Dudley managed to keep his fight game moving forward, especially after switching fight camps.

“I’m much better-rounded and just better overall,” he said. “About three years ago, I changed gyms to AMC Pankration and that’s been huge for me as far as developing my all-around game, clinch work and ground game, too. I’ve evolved quite a bit.”

For his first fight since January 2007, Dudley will headline CageSport XXI in Tacoma, Wash., on Saturday night against up-and-comer Emmanuel Sanchez in what should be a good return test.

“To me, he looks tough. He’s a guy who will be there to the end and not fold,” said Dudley of Sanchez. “It looks like he favors stand-up from the couple fights I’ve seen. He looks very consistent. He doesn’t come out flailing and die out. He’s very level-headed. I expect it to be a tough fight and for him to be there every round.”

While Dudley has worked to become a more rounded fighter, he feels his talent lies in grappling and that will be the area that he can most take advantage of to defeat Sanchez.

“There’s always a feeling out process, but since 2007, I’ve grown leaps and bounds, and I feel very confident in my stand-up, so I feel we’ll start with stand-up and see where it goes,” he said. “But overall, with most everybody, I feel very comfortable on the ground.”

Dudley told MMAWeekly.com that it’s most likely now or never if he hopes to make something of a career in the fight game.

“Definitely it’s very important, especially for me at 35,” he said. “I feel very healthy and whatnot, but I don’t have 10-15 years to develop my career.

“I put in a ton of training and a lot of people know me from training and whatnot, but it’s very important to get the ball rolling and get off on a good step. Not just win, but win impressively with a finish and get fighting again.”

Dudley concluded, “(Returning to MMA has) been my plans for years now and that’s what motivates me. I’m hoping my knee is good, everything is good, and I feel like this is the first step in getting back into the game and going as far as I can.”

Improved Elliott hopes Ultimate Fighter gives him 2nd UFC chance

Former UFC fighter Tim Elliott has made many changes to his life, personally and professionally, since his last Octagon visit. Now, he hopes a chance in The Ultimate Fighter leads to a UFC return and read news >>

Dan Henderson: ‘Win or Lose This is My Last Fight’ (UFC 204 Video)

Dan Henderson hopes to add the UFC middleweight championship to his collection at UFC 204. But win or lose, he intends to walk off into the sunset. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>