Boxing Promoter Says Diaz vs. Lacy Is Off, All Signs Point Towards GSP Fight in UFC


Nick Diaz’s proposed boxing match with Jeff Lacy has officially been called off lending more evidence that the Strikeforce welterweight champion will soon venture back to the UFC for a bout against Georges St-Pierre.

Diaz and Lacy have been bouncing around a fall date to meet in the squared circle, but everything was contingent on the Stockton, Calif. fighter signing off to officially take the bout.

The only thing according to Diaz’s manager and trainer Cesar Gracie that would stop the fight from happening was an offer to face St-Pierre in the UFC.

Well, now Don Chagrin, who was promoting the proposed bout between Diaz and Lacy, has stated the fight between the two is no longer happening and Diaz is focusing on his MMA career after all.

“Nick is a good kid and a very exciting fighter. Right now he has an opportunity of a lifetime as it pertains to his MMA career,” Chagrin said.

The opportunity of a lifetime would only seeming point to one fight.

MMAWeekly.com first reported last week that a proposed bout between Diaz and St-Pierre could be announced as early as this week, and the fact that the boxing match with Lacy has officially been called off only lends credence that negotiations are close to being completed.

Diaz and Gracie met with UFC President Dana White last week in Las Vegas to discuss his future plans, and with the boxing match now off the table, the fight that makes sense is the bout against Georges St-Pierre.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 57 views

Anderson Silva had eight fights left on his UFC contract, including his return against Nick Diaz in January, but Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta apparently wanted more. White and Fertitta had dinner read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 140 views

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre thinks ex-Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz has dug his own grave by accepting to fight Anderson Silva at 185 pounds at UFC 183 in January. Speak read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 696 views

Georges St-Pierre is as qualified as anyone to comment on the highly anticipated UFC 183 main event between returning former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva and his fellow returnee, for read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 67 views

But had the Stockton slugger agreed to a catchweight instead of middleweight, "GSP would give him the edge against "The Spider." One of the most highly-anticipated "super fights" that never came to b read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 78 views

Nick Diaz’s decision to move up to the UFC middleweight division to take on one of the greatest fighters or all time in Anderson Silva may not have been a very wise decision, according to former UFC read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 119 views

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was hospitalized on Monday with severe back pain. In sudden and dramatic fashion, Anderson Silva found himself hospitalized with severe back pain follo read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 2 views

The highly anticipated fight between former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former Strikeforce and EliteXC champion Nick Diaz has hit another speed bump, but its destination and estimate read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 29 views

UFC welterweight Joe Riggs revealed he would be interested in a second fight against Nick Diaz. Throughout his 55-fight career over a 13year period, Joe Riggs has only once been placed in a position read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 10 views

And he should keep his opinions to himself. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently gave his take on the upcoming "super fight" between former Mid read news >>

Jump to: