Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is known for her judo background, but apparently her striking skills are coming along as well.

“What she has is amazing, but people don’t understand: Ronda’s boxing is so good right now,” her striking coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “If I could, I’d turn that girl into a boxing professional world champion. She was sparring with girls in our gym that are like 16-1 and WBA world champions, Lucia Rijker … and Ronda gets the best out of it.”

In her recent win over Sarah Kaufman, Rousey came out throwing a jab that helped her close the distance and move the fight to the ground, where she won via armbar. Kaufman looked somewhat surprised that an Olympic bronze medalist in judo was so aggressive with her hands.

“That was exactly the game plan,” Tarverdyan said. “Ronda has a great jab. She does like six in a row when we’re doing pad work and mitt work. In the gym she’s also working that jab. It comes natural to her. She always had her left foot forward when she was doing judo tournaments, so she’s real comfortable with sticking that jab and grabbing them and taking them down.”

Tarverdyan, who works with Rousey at the Glendale Fighting Club in California, wasn’t interested in training her initially. After watching some of her judo highlights, though, and also seeing her in MMA, he changed his mind.

“I was like, ‘OK, this girl is going to be something special,’” Tarverdyan said. “I started working with her. For like six months we didn’t do any striking. Just footwork, distance, understanding. I didn’t give her hard sparring, nothing like that. Just she moved around with me. I have control of my punches and I’m not trying to swing your head off and I’m technical and I could teach her. More like drilling-sparring, like amateur style, than actual just banging like the professional style. I taught her a lot of amateur boxing. Once I got that done, I know she has a good jab. She has a good straight punch, a right straight. She knows how to move her head. She knows how to defend herself, block punches, move in and out, use her legs, and then I started just gradually raising her sparring. For the last camp we had great sparring partners. That’s how you learn.”

In addition to Rousey, Gegard Mousasi and Manny Gamburyan, Tarverdyan also works with amateur and professional boxers. Rousey has impressed them too.

“Ronda’s jab is looking really, really good,” Tarverdyan said. “All the Olympians I have in my gym, and world medalists, they just sit down and go, ‘Wow, dude. She has a great jab.’”

She’s getting more comfortable with her other punches as well, which could come in handy if she ever meets Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos.

“Now everybody knows she can strike,” Tarverdyan said. “I don’t care if people know or don’t know, to be honest with you. I know she can strike. She’s a great striker. She’s not going to have a problem with any of these fights we have in front of us.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 58:10).

Holly Holm%26#x2019;s striking coach wonders if Ronda Rousey has the %26#x2018;guts%26#x2019; for a rematch (Yahoo Sport

From Yahoo Sports: Mike Winkeljohn knows how big a rematch will be, he just isn’t sure if Rousey will want one. read news >>

Holly Holm's Head Coach Hopes Ronda Rousey Has the Guts for Rematch at UFC 200

The possible Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey rematch at UFC 200 is still very much in play. And the champ's coach, Mike Winkeljohn, hopes Rousey has the guts to step up for the rematch. In an interview w read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, Comments on UFC Star's Return, More

UFC star Ronda Rousey is unlikely to return to action in time for UFC 200 in July, according to her long-term coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Holly Holm knocked out the former bantamweight champion in empha read news >>

Ronda Rousey’s Mom Blasts Coach Again, Calling Him an ‘Idiot and a Fraud’

Ronda Rousey's mother, Dr. AnnMaria De Mars, recently discussed her daughter's head coach, calling him an "idiot and a fraud." read news >>

CSAC suspends Ronda Rousey coach Edmond Tarverdyan for falsifying paperwork

The California State Athletic Commission today suspended Ronda Rousey coach Edmond Tarverdyan for three months, ruling unanimously that he falsified his application as licensed cornerman.Filed under: read news >>

CSAC Suspends Edmond Tarverdyan, Ronda Rousey’s Coach, for Falsifying Application

The California State Athletic Commission fined and suspended Edmond Tarverdyan, Ronda Rousey's head coach, for falsifying information about a prior arrest. read news >>

Bellator signs PRIDE, Strikeforce, veteran heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov to multi-fight deal

Two days after the announcement of one of its highest profile free-agent signings to date, Bellator continues to bolster its roster with the addition of a veteran heavyweight.Filed under: Bellator, N read news >>

Bellator Signs Former Pride Heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov

Pride and Strikeforce veteran Sergei Kharitonov is the latest free agent signed by Bellator MMA. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey Return, Sage Northcutt, More

Ronda Rousey will "probably" make a return to the Octagon in November, according to UFC president Dana White, who has also opened up on Sage Northcutt's first professional defeat. Reigning UFC women' read news >>