Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is known for her judo background, but apparently her striking skills are coming along as well.

“What she has is amazing, but people don’t understand: Ronda’s boxing is so good right now,” her striking coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “If I could, I’d turn that girl into a boxing professional world champion. She was sparring with girls in our gym that are like 16-1 and WBA world champions, Lucia Rijker … and Ronda gets the best out of it.”

In her recent win over Sarah Kaufman, Rousey came out throwing a jab that helped her close the distance and move the fight to the ground, where she won via armbar. Kaufman looked somewhat surprised that an Olympic bronze medalist in judo was so aggressive with her hands.

“That was exactly the game plan,” Tarverdyan said. “Ronda has a great jab. She does like six in a row when we’re doing pad work and mitt work. In the gym she’s also working that jab. It comes natural to her. She always had her left foot forward when she was doing judo tournaments, so she’s real comfortable with sticking that jab and grabbing them and taking them down.”

Tarverdyan, who works with Rousey at the Glendale Fighting Club in California, wasn’t interested in training her initially. After watching some of her judo highlights, though, and also seeing her in MMA, he changed his mind.

“I was like, ‘OK, this girl is going to be something special,’” Tarverdyan said. “I started working with her. For like six months we didn’t do any striking. Just footwork, distance, understanding. I didn’t give her hard sparring, nothing like that. Just she moved around with me. I have control of my punches and I’m not trying to swing your head off and I’m technical and I could teach her. More like drilling-sparring, like amateur style, than actual just banging like the professional style. I taught her a lot of amateur boxing. Once I got that done, I know she has a good jab. She has a good straight punch, a right straight. She knows how to move her head. She knows how to defend herself, block punches, move in and out, use her legs, and then I started just gradually raising her sparring. For the last camp we had great sparring partners. That’s how you learn.”

In addition to Rousey, Gegard Mousasi and Manny Gamburyan, Tarverdyan also works with amateur and professional boxers. Rousey has impressed them too.

“Ronda’s jab is looking really, really good,” Tarverdyan said. “All the Olympians I have in my gym, and world medalists, they just sit down and go, ‘Wow, dude. She has a great jab.’”

She’s getting more comfortable with her other punches as well, which could come in handy if she ever meets Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos.

“Now everybody knows she can strike,” Tarverdyan said. “I don’t care if people know or don’t know, to be honest with you. I know she can strike. She’s a great striker. She’s not going to have a problem with any of these fights we have in front of us.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 58:10).

Fightweets: Luke Rockhold and the revenge of Strikeforce

LOS ANGELES -- Fabrico Werdum, Daniel Cormier, Robbie Lawler, Ronda Rousey. All Strikeforce alumni. All wearing UFC gold. As if that isn't an impressive enough UFC resume for a promotion that was som read news >>

UFC champ Ronda Rousey cast in lead role of 'Road House' remake

I thought you'd be bigger male. Hollywood is moving forward with a remake of the 1989 cult classic "Road House," which starred the late Patrick Swayze as "Dalton," an even-tempered bouncer who elects read news >>

The MMA Hour - 297 - Holly Holm

Holly Holm will talk about fighting Ronda Rousey at UFC 193. read news >>

Ronda Rousey to star in remake of 1980s cult classic 'Road House'

The achievements just keep rolling in for Ronda Rousey. The UFC women's bantamweight champion will star in a reprisal of 1980s cult classic Road House, her agent Brand Slater of William Morris Endeav read news >>

Holly Holm Approves of Conor McGregor, Dishes on Ronda Rousey Title Fight

Since being announced as the top contender for the UFC women's bantamweight title, Holly Holm has been quite busy. That's not surprising, of course, as the already rigorous training regimen has new m read news >>

How does Floyd Mayweather view Ronda Rousey? 'He doesn't'

If Ronda Rousey vs. Floyd Mayweather is still a topic of public discussion, it's not due to any work or interest on Floyd's part says Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe. When it comes down to read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm: The Preacher's Daughter Comments on UFC 193 Fight

Holly Holm has the unenviable task of being the next woman to step into the Octagon to face Ronda Rousey, and the MMA star known as the Preacher’s Daughter has insisted that while the bout at UFC 193 read news >>

Holly Holm: I'm not being rushed into title fight with UFC champ Ronda Rousey

Holly Holm said she doesn’t think she’s being rushed into title fight with UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber: TUF 22 coach Conor McGregor 'a lot cooler' than not-dangerous Dominick Cruz

Team Alpha Male general Urijah Faber forged a relationship with former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz -- who is once again riding the pine due to injury -- b read news >>

Holly Holm: Cris Cyborg is serious about cutting to 135 pounds for UFC title fight

Cris Cyborg is Ronda Rousey's most anticipated potential opponent. Holly Holm is Rousey's next foe. The two women filmed the movie "Fight Valley" together last week, and Holm said the encounter wasn' read news >>