It didn’t take long for Bobby Lashley to show exactly what he wanted to do on Saturday night.
Lashley shot for a takedown 12 seconds into his main event fight against Matthew Larson at “Global Warrior Challenge: British Invasion.” He worked at it and finally secured it 35 seconds in.
But though Larson popped back up quickly, he soon was back down, and with authority. Lashley slammed Larson to the canvas, then went to work with ground-and-pound, fended off a Larson kimura attempt, took his opponent’s back and secured a fairly easy rear-naked choke to end the fight in 98 seconds.
Lashley (9-2), a former WWE and TNA pro wrestler who turned to MMA in 2008, won his second straight fight by submission – both coming this month just 22 days apart. The wins came after more than a year off from the sport. Larson (2-3) lost his second straight.
The first Global Warrior Challenge event took place at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. The promotion aims to pit country vs. country in a series of events, with the first being American fighters against fighters from the U.K. The card aired on pay-per-view.
Other notable fighters on the card included former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez (51-20), who dropped a unanimous decision to Marcin Lazarz (6-1) in the co-main event; “Ultimate Fighter” runner-up Andre Winner (15-7) beat former UFC fighter Drew Fickett (42-20) by unanimous decision; “TUF 3? winner Kendall Grove (18-13) beat Danny Mitchell (12-4) with a first-round TKO; and former WEC fighter L.C. Davis (20-5) swept James Saville (11-6) on the scorecards.
Complete GWC 1 results include:
- Bobby Lashley def. Matt Larson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:38
- Marcin Lazarz def. Ricco Rodriguez via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Andre Winner def. Drew Fickett via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Kendall Grove def. Danny Mitchell via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:53
- Oli Thompson def. Kevin Asplund via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:21
- L.C. Davis def. James Saville via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dayman Lake def. Jake Heun via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 4:34
- Jack Marshman def. Wayne Cole via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:26
- Max Nunes def. Justin Davis via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:39
- Michael Johnson def. Jerome Martinez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jake Murphy def. Tony Hervey via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
(Pictured: Bobby Lashley)