‘Bigfoot’ Silva on UFC 160 Rematch with Cain Velasquez: ‘Nobody Is Invincible’



When Antonio Silva enters the Octagon next Saturday for his rematch with Cain Velasquez at UFC 160, he will do so as a heavy underdog.

“Bigfoot’s” first encounter with the reigning heavyweight champion was not a pretty one, as Velasquez planted the massive Brazilian on his back and battered him with a barrage of punches and elbows one year ago at UFC 146. In spite of that result, and his current status as a 4-1 long shot, Silva nevertheless believes that he will walk away from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas with championship gold around his waist.

“I like when people underestimate me. It’s nice, because I get to go out there and [prove] them wrong,” Silva recently said during a media conference call. “There are no superheroes in this sport. Nobody is invincible. I’ve been putting in a lot of hard work in the last nine weeks. I’ve been preparing myself, and I’m very confident that I’m going to have my arm raised on May 25.”

As Silva mentioned, this would not be the first time he has been counted out against a favored opponent. Following the heavyweight’s one-sided loss to Velasquez, bookmakers listed him as an underdog against both Travis Browne and Alistair Overeem. “Bigfoot” won both fights by knockout.

With those convincing victories nestled securely in his back pocket, Silva now appears to be a far more confident fighter than when he previously faced Velasquez.

“In our first fight, I was nervous and anxious, but I have replaced those emotions. Now, I am calm and driven. I really want this,” said Silva. “Comparing my style of fighting to Cain -- I would have to be born again to become faster than Cain Velasquez. I’ve got 30 pounds on him. He’s going to be faster than me. I need to work with what I have, and what I have is very, very heavy hands. I’m going to keep my hands healthy and heavy, and I’m sure that the first punch I really land, he’s going to go down.”

Though Silva admitted that much of his preparation and strategy will carry over from his first meeting with the champion, the 33-year-old plans to effect one key change in the rematch.

“A lot of my preparation has been the same as it was for the first fight. Obviously, in the first fight, I made a big mistake, but there were a lot of things that I did right going into that fight that, unfortunately, you guys didn’t get to see,” said Silva. “Much of that has been maintained, but overall, the main strategy is just to not let his elbows get near my forehead. That would be a change.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 22 views

Your weekly rundown of what big-show veterans are up to on the regional circuit. A sleepy weekend for big-name MMA, featuring two of MMA's busier journeymen. First up, in the headliner for Sao Paolo, read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 2 views

Antonio Silva is confident that the TRT ban will have no impact on his fighting ability since he asked to do the treatment just one time and had big wins without it. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva isn't wor read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 8 views

The Octagon touches down for the first time in the state of Maine on Saturday for UFC Fight Night 47 at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. In the night’s main event, surging light heavyweight Ovin read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 5 views

According to the current official UFC rankings, the top-five pound-for-pound fighters in the UFC are Jon Jones, Jose Aldo, Cain Velasquez, Demetrious Johnson and Chris Weidman, in that order. Jones a read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 74 views

Ben Saunders hadn’t set foot inside the Octagon since 2010, but on Saturday at UFC Fight Night “Henderson vs. Dos Anjos” the Bellator MMA veteran returned in historic fashion, finis read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 42 views

It’s hard to believe a fighter like Junior dos Santos, a former UFC champion with a record of 16-3, may be a man with no place to go, but that’s the situation before him now. Granted, the UFC will no read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 4 views

On Saturday morning, Cung Le returned to the Octagon following a nearly two-year absence to face off against middleweight contender Michael Bisping. Le had been on a two-fight win streak, both back i read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 7 views

At the UFC 180 press conference, UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum will discuss their upcoming clash Tuesday afternoon. The two fighters will square off on Nov. 15 in Mexico read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 15 views

Sorry, no shoves or table-toppling brawls, that's over here. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez, as well as division number one contender Fabricio Werdum, wer read news >>