As he awaits the call for his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut, former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva has gone about the business of shoring up his weaknesses under the Team Nogueira banner.

Silva (16-3) has not fought since being knocked out by the unbeaten Daniel Cormier in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix semifinals in September. The defeat halted a three-fight winning streak for the 32-year-old Brazilian, which included wins over Russian great Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.

“I’m doing very specific work in boxing and kickboxing to correct my mistakes,” Silva told “To make a mistake is human, but to remain in error is stupid. I fought two fighters from the American Kickboxing Academy, and they knocked me down. Against Mike Kyle, I was able to recover and win the fight, but against Cormier, I got knocked out for the first time in 20 fights.

“The people in my camp saw where the mistakes were, so now I’m going to train, train and train some more to fix it,” he added. “I’m also training jiu-jitsu in the gi, doing strength work and following a good diet in order to lose weight and improve my speed.”

Silva, who underwent shoulder surgery in November following his loss to Cormier, does not yet have a date or an opponent for his first UFC bout, though he expects to hear from matchmakers soon. Rumors of a potential matchup with onetime UFC heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez have cooled.

“Several things have been said, but nothing is 100 percent yet,” Silva said. “As I always say, ‘Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.’ Two weeks after my surgery, I started training to get ready for when the opportunity appears. I’m eager to fight again, and when they put me inside that Octagon, I’ll always try to have good fights.”

Though he no longer flies the Strikeforce flag, Silva will watch with personal interest when Cormier meets Josh Barnett in the heavyweight grand prix final, likely in the first or second quarter of 2012.

“I’ll root for Cormier, who’s a great guy, but I think it’s going to be kind of hard for him to win,” Silva said. “Barnett is a more complete fighter, with good boxing, wrestling and ground skills. The only chance for Cormier is to land a big punch, like he did on me, but I think it will be Barnett who wins.”

Silva admits a part of him was saddened when Zuffa LLC officials elected to dissolve the Strikeforce heavyweight division and fold it into the UFC.

“I’m sorry for that,” he said. “They could have left it as a gateway for the weight class, but it would have sort of been a second division to the premier league -- the UFC.”

Allan Oliveira contributed to this report.

Jake Matthews gets Andrew Holbrook for hometown bout at UFC Fight Night 101 in Melbourne

Australia’s Jake Matthews was expected to be a part of the UFC’s return to his home city of Melbourne in November. Now he has his opponent.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Comments on Conor McGregor Ahead of UFC 205 Title Fight

UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez has said he’ll do whatever he wants to Conor McGregor when the two men meet at UFC 205. The pair will battle it out in New York on November 12 in one of the yea read news >>

Weigh-In: John Dodson vs. John Lineker - UFC Fight Night

Watch John 'Hands of Stone' Lineker and John 'The Magician' Dodson weigh-in ahead of their UFC Fight Night match-up in Portland, Oregon. read news >>

Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos not worried about travel adjustments ahead of UFC Fight Night 96

Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos is a finisher. With 14 finishes in 15 career victories, he’s planning to score another knockout when he faces Keita Nakamura at UFC Fight Night 96.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Undefeated WSOF Champ Justin Gaethje Focused on Quicker Finishes |

Having racked up a spotless 16-0 record, WSOF champ Justin Gaethje is now focused on getting out of the cage quicker. read news >>

Coker Undeterred by Potential of Public Backlash Ahead of Bellator's Israel Debut | FIGHTLAND

Photo via Scott Coker/Twitter Last month, Bellator announced its first event in Israel, which is scheduled to take place on November 10 at Tel Aviv’s 11000-seat Menora Mivtachim Arena. The card boast read news >>

Ahead of UFC 204, Manchester City throws their support behind challenger Dan Henderson

MANCHESTER, England – In the footballing world (or soccer, if you're American), the English city of Manchester is divided by a pair of powerhouse franchises. With Manchester United previously support read news >>

Video: Michael Bisping, 'old man' Dan Henderson verbally clash ahead of UFC 204

MANCHESTER, England – The rivalry between UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping and future UFC Hall of Famer Dan Henderson remains a contentious affair, at least if today’s media day face-offs ar read news >>

Bellator 164 fighters get out-of-competition drug testing ahead of Israel event

Tests for performance-enhancers and drugs of abuse have come back negative for three headlining fighters at Bellator 164, MMAjunkie has confirmed.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Brad Pickett free of retirement pressure ahead of UFC 204 bout with Iuri Alcantara

MANCHESTER, England – One fight ago Brad Pickett was seemingly being pushed out of the sport due to a string of ugly losses. Now he feels a couple key victories could elevate him to contender status read news >>