As he awaits the call for his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut, former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva has gone about the business of shoring up his weaknesses under the Team Nogueira banner.

Silva (16-3) has not fought since being knocked out by the unbeaten Daniel Cormier in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix semifinals in September. The defeat halted a three-fight winning streak for the 32-year-old Brazilian, which included wins over Russian great Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.

“I’m doing very specific work in boxing and kickboxing to correct my mistakes,” Silva told Sherdog.com. “To make a mistake is human, but to remain in error is stupid. I fought two fighters from the American Kickboxing Academy, and they knocked me down. Against Mike Kyle, I was able to recover and win the fight, but against Cormier, I got knocked out for the first time in 20 fights.

“The people in my camp saw where the mistakes were, so now I’m going to train, train and train some more to fix it,” he added. “I’m also training jiu-jitsu in the gi, doing strength work and following a good diet in order to lose weight and improve my speed.”

Silva, who underwent shoulder surgery in November following his loss to Cormier, does not yet have a date or an opponent for his first UFC bout, though he expects to hear from matchmakers soon. Rumors of a potential matchup with onetime UFC heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez have cooled.

“Several things have been said, but nothing is 100 percent yet,” Silva said. “As I always say, ‘Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.’ Two weeks after my surgery, I started training to get ready for when the opportunity appears. I’m eager to fight again, and when they put me inside that Octagon, I’ll always try to have good fights.”

Though he no longer flies the Strikeforce flag, Silva will watch with personal interest when Cormier meets Josh Barnett in the heavyweight grand prix final, likely in the first or second quarter of 2012.

“I’ll root for Cormier, who’s a great guy, but I think it’s going to be kind of hard for him to win,” Silva said. “Barnett is a more complete fighter, with good boxing, wrestling and ground skills. The only chance for Cormier is to land a big punch, like he did on me, but I think it will be Barnett who wins.”

Silva admits a part of him was saddened when Zuffa LLC officials elected to dissolve the Strikeforce heavyweight division and fold it into the UFC.

“I’m sorry for that,” he said. “They could have left it as a gateway for the weight class, but it would have sort of been a second division to the premier league -- the UFC.”

Allan Oliveira contributed to this report.

Kowalkiewicz focused on Rose, though rematch with Jedrzejczyk looms

Karolina Kowalkiewicz is focused on her fight against Rose Namajunas on Saturday in the co-main event at UFC 201. Though Kowalkiewicz knows a win on Saturday could lead to a fight with fellow Polish read news >>

Lawler vs. Woodley: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 201

Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley hit the scales on Friday ahead of their mouth-watering title bout at UFC 201, and both fighters came in dead on the 170-pound limit, per Fox Sports: UFC: The main even read news >>

UFC 201 Fantasy Rewind: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC: 201 - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Laser-focused Rodriguez ready for the bright lights

Yair Rodriguez's unorthodox fighting style has earned the attention from the MMA community. On Saturday, he'll put it on display in the main event at Fight Night Salt Lake City. read news >>

Rodriguez vs Caceres: The Cult of Spinning Shit | FIGHTLAND

Yair Rodriguez and Alex Caceres fought a battle of wheel kicks and jumping attacks as expected, but about half way through fans realized that all those fancy attacks did not amount to much. We discus read news >>

Where Are They Now? Episode 1: Tait Fletcher

UFC is airing mini-documentaries appropriately titled, Where Are They Now?, focused around fighters that appeared on The Ultimate Fighter but didn't make it in the UFC. read news >>

'No Love' focused on Mizugaki, but eyes Cruz

Cody Garbrandt has Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 202, but there's no doubt he's got his eyes set on bantamweight champion and Team Alpha Male rival Dominick Cruz in the near future. read news >>

Nate Diaz Says Conor McGregor is Silly, Trying to Hype Himself Up Ahead of UFC 202 (Video)

Heading into UFC 202, Nate Diaz said that Conor McGregor is silly for having pictures up in his garage of him punching Diaz in the face. Diaz feels McGregor is just fooling himself, trying to hype hi read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Cowboy Cerrone and Bob Saget

Donald Cerrone calls in live from Lake Mead ahead of his fight against Rick Story at UFC 202 and talks skydiving, Diaz vs. McGregor 2, and more. Then, comic and actor Bob Saget talks to Jim and Matt read news >>