As he awaits the call for his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut, former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva has gone about the business of shoring up his weaknesses under the Team Nogueira banner.

Silva (16-3) has not fought since being knocked out by the unbeaten Daniel Cormier in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix semifinals in September. The defeat halted a three-fight winning streak for the 32-year-old Brazilian, which included wins over Russian great Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.

“I’m doing very specific work in boxing and kickboxing to correct my mistakes,” Silva told Sherdog.com. “To make a mistake is human, but to remain in error is stupid. I fought two fighters from the American Kickboxing Academy, and they knocked me down. Against Mike Kyle, I was able to recover and win the fight, but against Cormier, I got knocked out for the first time in 20 fights.

“The people in my camp saw where the mistakes were, so now I’m going to train, train and train some more to fix it,” he added. “I’m also training jiu-jitsu in the gi, doing strength work and following a good diet in order to lose weight and improve my speed.”

Silva, who underwent shoulder surgery in November following his loss to Cormier, does not yet have a date or an opponent for his first UFC bout, though he expects to hear from matchmakers soon. Rumors of a potential matchup with onetime UFC heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez have cooled.

“Several things have been said, but nothing is 100 percent yet,” Silva said. “As I always say, ‘Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.’ Two weeks after my surgery, I started training to get ready for when the opportunity appears. I’m eager to fight again, and when they put me inside that Octagon, I’ll always try to have good fights.”

Though he no longer flies the Strikeforce flag, Silva will watch with personal interest when Cormier meets Josh Barnett in the heavyweight grand prix final, likely in the first or second quarter of 2012.

“I’ll root for Cormier, who’s a great guy, but I think it’s going to be kind of hard for him to win,” Silva said. “Barnett is a more complete fighter, with good boxing, wrestling and ground skills. The only chance for Cormier is to land a big punch, like he did on me, but I think it will be Barnett who wins.”

Silva admits a part of him was saddened when Zuffa LLC officials elected to dissolve the Strikeforce heavyweight division and fold it into the UFC.

“I’m sorry for that,” he said. “They could have left it as a gateway for the weight class, but it would have sort of been a second division to the premier league -- the UFC.”

Allan Oliveira contributed to this report.

Watch today's WSOF 30 weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 8:30 p.m. ET

Ahead of Saturday’s WSOF 30 event, you can watch a live video stream of today’s official fighter weigh-ins here on MMAjunkie at 8:30 p.m. ET (5:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on 3-Year UFC Anniversary Ahead of Nate Diaz Rematch

Wednesday marked the three-year anniversary of Conor McGregor's induction into the ranks of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and The Notorious made sure to remind his peers of the date prior to hi read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on 3-Year UFC Anniversary Ahead of Nate Diaz Rematch

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

Video: UFC champ Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman explain why they just can't get along

LOS ANGELES – Ahead of their rematch next month at UFC 199, middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman met with the media and discussed why their rivalry has gotten so personal in recent w read news >>

Miesha Tate Video: Dishing on Amanda Nunes Fight Ahead of Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm

Miesha Tate talks about facing Amanda Nunes, potential rematches with Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey, and what's on the horizon with Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Ahead of UFC Fight Night 86, Junior Dos Santos knows in his heart he'll be champ again

ZAGREB, Croatia – Junior Dos Santos has fallen on rough times in recent years. Following a 10-fight winning streak, the Brazilian lost his heavyweight title to Cain Velasquez at UFC 155 in December 2 read news >>

Why champ Miesha Tate is fighting Amanda Nunes, and not Holly Holm, at UFC 200

Many UFC fans expected women’s bantamweight champ Miesha Tate to face rival and former champion Ronda Rousey at July’s banner UFC 200. The UFC certainly teased the prospect.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>

Dos Santos dominates Rothwell for victory

Junior Dos Santos focused on the body to slow down and defeat Ben Rothwell by unanimous decision in the main event for UFC Fight Night Zagreb. read news >>