Bigfoot Silva Claims Early Stoppage, Illegal Blows and Calls for Referee Reform Following UFC 160

• submit to reddit

Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Antonio Silva won’t waste any time getting back to work when his suspension wraps up – and he apparently will be doing it at home in a rematch against Andrei Arlovski.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva won’t get what he was hoping for. "Bigfoot" was campaigning for a heavyweight clash with Josh Barnett, but he will instead face another former UFC champion in Andrei Arlovski in the main event of the UFC Fight Night card in Brasilia, Brazil, on Sept. 13. MMAFighting.com confirmed the match-up with sources close to the situation following a report from Combate. Silva and Arlovski fought for the first time in 2010 under the Strikeforce banner, and "Bigfoot" came out victori more

Antonio Silva got the best of Andrei Arlovski under the Strikeforce banner in 2010. “Bigfoot” will apparently get the chance to do the same on his home soil this September. more

Thiago Santos says his fight with Uriah Hall will probably end in a knockout on Saturday at UFC 175.Filed under: News, UFC more

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva will undergo one more surgery in 2014. The UFC heavyweight, who had surgery earlier this year for a shoulder injury, will need to go under the knife to remove a pituitary gland tumor that has reemerged. Silva, who had the same surgery in the past, will have to battle the disease again. "I will have to do the surgery again after my next fight, and then I will be cleared to train again in four or six weeks," Silva said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. "I will have to do more

UFC heavyweight Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva revealed on The MMA Hour that he will undergo surgery to remove a pituitary gland tumour. After undergoing shoulder surgery earlier in the year, Antonio Silva will once again go under the knife, this time to remove a pituitary gland tumour. Acromegaly is a disease that Silva has battled with in the past, and this is not the first time he has had this sort of surgery. "I will have to do the surgery again after my next fight, and then I will be cleared to tr more

The trash talk won’t stop, and Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva wants to end this rivalry inside the Octagon. The Brazilian heavyweight continues to campaign for a match with former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett when he returns from suspension, and the fact that Barnett isn’t interested in fighting him makes Silva wonder why. "Everything he said is nothing but excuses. He’s simply afraid to fight me," "Bigfoot" said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. "If a fighter comes to the media and says he more

Silva says he doesn't expect his MMA career to be cut short without the now-banned treatment. Antonio Silva was suspended for nine months after his epic, five-round brawl against Mark Hunt -- which resulted in a rare draw -- at UFC Fight Night 33 last December. The reason? Elevated testosterone levels as a result of bad doctor's advice, according to "Bigfoot," who was approved for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) due to his battle with acromegaly. Despite his recent setbacks, Silva eyes a more

Their heavyweight rematch is expected to serve as event headliner. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is giving former heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski a chance at redemption against heavyweight slugger Antonio Silva, as the pair will reportedly hook 'em up for a second time inside the cage at UFC Fight Night 51, which takes place on Sept. 13, 2014 inside Nilson Nelson Gymnasium in Brasilia. Globo reported the news (via MMA Fighting) on Thursday night. Arlovski (22-10) lost to the Brazilia more