Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Leslie Smith ‘Pissed as Hell’ About the Stoppage in Cris Cyborg Fight at UFC 198

Leslie Smith is 'pissed as hell' about the referee stoppage in her UFC 198 catchweight bout against Cris Cyorg. read news >>

Dana White Calls Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor Fight 'Impossible'

UFC President Dana White thinks a Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight is impractical. White said on ESPN Radio's Russillo & Kanell that the reason he doesn't see the 49-0 Mayweather taking on t read news >>

UFC 198 Results: Jacare Souza Dominates Vitor Belfort, Calls for Title Shot

Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza dominated Vitor Belfort in the UFC 198 co-main event on Saturday and called for a title shot following the one-sided TKO win. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Trolls Ronda Rousey on Facebook, Calls for UFC 205 Superfight in MSG

Cris Cyborg made her UFC debut Saturday against Leslie Smith at UFC 198, but she disappointed many fans by staying quiet about archrival Ronda Rousey. But Sunday morning, she rekindled the superfight read news >>

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 Early Main Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 198 was, for the most part, a showcase of aging Brazilian talent. UFC 199, though? That's the stage for the best in the world today. The full card is as follows: Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman D read news >>

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Weidman 2 Early Main Card Preview and Predictions

Fabricio Werdum: ‘I Was a Little Bit Reckless,’ Calls for Rematch with Stipe Miocic

The UFC heavyweight title has been something no one holds onto for very long. No previous champion has consecutively defended the belt more than twice. read news >>

Michael Bisping Talks Luke Rockhold, Anderson Silva Ahead of UFC 199 Title Fight

Michael Bisping thinks “destiny” has handed him the chance to become the UFC middleweight champion as he gears up to face Luke Rockhold on June 4 at UFC 199. An injury to Chris Weidman left the main read news >>

Rousimar Palhares, Mayhem Miller Both Lose by Stoppage at Minor MMA Event

Rousimar Palhares, the notorious submission grappler banned by both the UFC and World Series of Fighting, lost by first-round knockout Saturday at Venator FC 3, a small MMA promotion based in Italy. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 a Sneaky-Good Card, but with a Really Weird Setup

If Elton John thinks Saturday night’s alright for fighting, then wait until he gets a load of Sunday’s action. UFC Fight Night 88 heads to the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Sunday for an read news >>