Bigfoot Silva Claims Early Stoppage, Illegal Blows and Calls for Referee Reform Following UFC 160

Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

And when you constantly fight the best in the world, picking up a win is easier said than done. After dropping four consecutive fights, many believed Frank Mir's time inside the Octagon was near an e read news >>

• 14 hours ago

BARUERI, Brazil – With another first-round stoppage to add to his resume, Erick Silva again proved one of the most exciting fighters on the UFC roster. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

It didn't look good early and then BAM! Feel that left hand. The heavyweights were mixing it up on the main card of tonight's (Sat., Nov. 22, 2014) UFC Fight Night 57: "Edgar vs. Swanson" event at Fr read news >>

Frankie Edgar made a solid case for a rematch against featherweight champion Jose Aldo by dominating No. 2-ranked Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 57 on Saturday. read news >>

With a dominant win over Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 57, Frankie Edgar is back in the running for a shot at featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Although Edgar has only made three appearances since l read news >>

The upcoming Thanksgiving holiday has not slowed down UFC matchmakers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby, as four bouts have been added to the upcoming schedule. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva on Friday claimed that the UFC threatened to sue him if he made a $10,000 appearance at Bellator 131. read news >>

Frank Mir has lost four in a row in the UFC, and he has a tough challenge ahead of him. The two-time heavyweight champion will meet Antonio Silva at UFC 184 on Feb. 28, which is a tall order to snap read news >>

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion, Frank Mir, is scheduled to return to mixed martial arts (MMA) action after a one-year hiatus when he collides with Antonio Silva at U read news >>