Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dana White thinks Ronda Rousey will fight before the end of 2016

Dana White believes Ronda Rousey is ready for a comeback sooner rather than later. read news >>

McGregor gets what he wants at UFC 205, and it's a good thing, too

Despite earlier claims from the UFC brass that Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez wasn’t possible for UFC 205, now it’s a reality. That’s a good thing, even if it reminds us who’s really calling the sh read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Calls Conor McGregor 'Ginger Crackhead' After UFC 205 Presser

UFC featherweight contender Jeremy Stephens has taken a shot at champion Conor McGregor ahead of UFC 205 on November 12, saying he'll fight the Notorious any day and labeling him a “ginger crackhead. read news >>

Kevin Lee still pushing a bout with Sage Northcutt, thinks the UFC wants to get rid of him

Now 6-2 in the UFC, the always outspoken Kevin Lee is pushing again for a fight with “Super” Sage Northcutt.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor disses Jeremy Stephens then calls out Floyd Mayweather - 'TMZ Sports'

Conor McGregor says he may have to drag Floyd Mayweather out of retirement again. read news >>

Wonderboy thinks Cyborg would beat Ronda Rousey - 'TMZ Sports'

Could Ronda Rousey beat Cris Cyborg? Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson doesn't think so. read news >>

Skip Bayless thinks McGregor could go the distance against Mayweather | UNDISPUTED

Conor McGregor recently brought up a fight with Floyd Mayweather again, but if it happens, could Conor hang with Floyd? read news >>

Roy Nelson In Hot Water with Dana White and Brazilian Commission for Kicking Referee |

Roy Nelson will likely face disciplinary action from the UFC and the Brazilian athletic commission for kicking referee John McCarthy at UFC Brasilia. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96's John Dodson claims UFC bantamweights are ducking him

PORTLAND, Ore. – After knocking out Manny Gamburyan in 37 seconds, UFC bantamweight John Dodson thought he’d be back in business pretty quick. It didn’t work that way, but now that he’s back in actio read news >>

John Lineker, Two Other UFC Portland Fighters Miss the Mark at Official Early Weigh-in |

Two fighters missed the mark, one by 5.5 pounds, at the official UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs. Dodson early weigh-in on Friday in Portland, Ore. read news >>