Bigfoot Silva Claims Early Stoppage, Illegal Blows and Calls for Referee Reform Following UFC 160

Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

I see the injury bug is finally back from his holiday break. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight slugger Glover Teixeira has been injured and forced to withdraw from his Rashad Eva read news >>

A knee injury has forced Glover Teixeira out of his February 22nd main event against former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans. The UFC has already found its new main event. We're only one w read news >>

A Glover Teixeira knee injury has resulted in some shuffling and a new UFC Fight Night 61 main event. On Wednesday, MMAFighting.com reported that Teixeira has been forced to withdraw from his schedul read news >>

The former UFC Heavyweight champion said that he is honored to fight in the birthplace of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and wants to use his ground skills to win. Frank Mir is aware of the urgency for a win in read news >>

Depends. Frank Mir has been asked to head south for the winter to headline the upcoming UFC Fight Night 61 mixed martial arts (MMA) event on Sun., Feb. 22, 2015 on FOX Sports 1, which takes place ins read news >>

• a day ago

STOCKHOLM – Call it an early stoppage if you will, but it may not have mattered, ultimately. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Erick Silva is back in the win column after choking out Mike Rhodes at the UFC Fight Night 58 mixed martial arts (MMA) event earlier this month in Br read news >>

At UFC Fight Night 58, Lyoto Machida rebounded from his loss to Chris Weidman and took his first step toward earning another shot at the middleweight championship. Facing C.B. Dollaway, Machida waste read news >>

Check out the facts and figures behind everything that went down at UFC 182 with 40 post-fight facts to come out of the pay-per-view event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>