Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC Fight Night 66 results: Neil Magny survives early scare, earns stoppage victory over Hyun Gyu Lim

Neil Magny's quest to earn his seventh -- albeit quiet -- win inside the Octagon against Hyun Gyu Lim got off to a scary start after the American was rocked by right hand in the opening frame at UFC read news >>

Al Bernstein talks Mayweather-Pacquiao, calls UFC's Jon Jones decision 'intriguing'

Al Bernstein has covered boxing for more than 30 years and has called some of the biggest fights in the sport’s recent history. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

Early betting odds list Daniel Cormier as favorite over Anthony Johnson

Opening odds for UFC 187's new championship tilt between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson sway in favor of the former Olympian. UFC 187's blockbuster main event featuring Jon Jones and Anthony John read news >>

Opening odds for UFC 187's new Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson headliner

The early odds favor a recent title challenger in next month’s UFC 187 main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 187's Khabib Nurmagomedov back to 100 percent, thinks dos Anjos is 'fake champion'

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov says he’s back at the point where he was when his knee gave out and his career stalled.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Calls mounting for UFC to strip Jon Jones of his title

Kenny Florian and Kevin Iole are calling for the Light Heavyweight champ to be stripped of his title, pulled from his UFC 187 bout with Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and enter rehab. While the UFC waits t read news >>

Dana White Thinks Rampage Jackson Still Has Legal Issues Ahead of Him (Video)

UFC president Dana White thinks Quinton "Rampage" Jackson still faces legal issues in his contractual dispute with Bellator MMA. read news >>

ESPN's Keith Olbermann calls for Mayweather-Pacquiao boycott, while 'Money' still dodges and denies domestic violence ch

A minor setback for a major comeback! Floyd Mayweather put his hands on the mother of his three children and served 60 days in Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, back in 2012. In add read news >>

Highlights! Watch Michael Bisping survive early knockdown to defeat CB Dollaway last night

Michael Bisping was out to prove his mixed martial arts (MMA) career was far from over, and after surviving an early scare, "The Count" did just that. Bisping put in a clinical performance inside the read news >>