Bigfoot Silva Claims Early Stoppage, Illegal Blows and Calls for Referee Reform Following UFC 160

Bigfoot Silva UFC 156UFC champion Cain Velasquez caught challenger Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva with a right hand while exchanging in the pocket early in the first round of the UFC 160 main event in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The punch knocked Silva to the canvas and Velasquez quickly swooped in on him.  Silva turtled up, trying to avoid the barrage of punches.  Silva claims, during the final seconds of the fight, before referee Mario Yamasaki stepped in to stop the action, that he received several illegal blows.

“I do agree that the fight was stopped too early,” said Silva during the UFC 160 post-fight press conference.

“I don’t want to say too much.  I’d rather you each watch the fight playback.  It’s clear watching it that took several illegal blows to the back of my neck,” said Silva.  “And the referee explained to me that the first illegal blow is a warning that should be issued.  The second should be penalized on points.  But in seeing the playback, you can see I took several illegal blows to the back of my neck.”

UFC president Dana White doesn’t think anyone who watched the fight will be “outraged” by the stoppage.

“I’ve seen worse stoppages,” he said.

Silva stands by his comments, however, and believes that referees should be held accountable for making mistakes, as in some other major sports.

“My way of thinking is that the same that applies to athletes that are penalized when they do something wrong or illegal should also apply to referees when they do something wrong.  They too should be penalized,” he said.

Despite thinking the fight was stopped early and he was the victim of illegal strikes, Silva didn’t want to take anything away from Velasquez.

“Cain Velasquez is a tremendous athlete and I don’t want my grievance on the illegal blows issue to take away from his tremendous athleticism,” said the 33-year-old Brazilian.

Switching gears from the past and looking to the future, Silva hopes to be back in action soon.

“I’m looking forward to my next big opportunity in the UFC, and I hope I can do a great fight for you guys in the near future.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

The UFC's first Brazil-based Fight Pass show now has a finalized lineup, with Antonio Silva and Andrei Arlovski competing in the night's main event on September 13th. Most of the UFC Fight Pass event read news >>

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva thinks his UFC 183 match-up against Nick Diaz has the makings of being one of the greatest UFC fights in the organization's history. read news >>

Sorry, no media day melee here. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is sending Antonio Silva and Andrei Arlovski on a local media tour to help drum up interest for their upcoming UFC Fight Night 51 read news >>

Finally finding a home at light heavyweight, Anthony Johnson will seek his eighth straight win against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the co-main event of this weekend's (Sat., July 26, 2014) UFC on FOX read news >>

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira talks about his UFC on FOX 12 bout against Anthony Johnson, his time away from the sport, his injuries, how close he is to a title shot, his brother's fig read news >>

Nick Diaz has decided to opt out of retirement, signing a three-fight contract extension with the UFC on Thursday, setting up a possible fight with Anderson Silva. read news >>

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz discusses his intention to fight Anderson Silva before challenging Johny Hendricks for the welterweight title. Considering many of the questions in read news >>

UFC star Nick Diaz signed a contract extension on July 24 at Zuffa headquarters. He then sat down with UFC.com to talk about his future. read news >>

Bloody Elbow presents its fight primer coverage for UFC on Fox 12: Brown vs. Lawler. Here, we look at the co-main event between Anthony Johnson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. In the co-main event of t read news >>