Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

UFC on FOX 16 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following UFC on FOX 16, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 189's Conor McGregor receives shoutout from Irish Grammy award-winning rock band U2

"Notorious" garners a little more support from his Irish brethren ahead of his UFC 189 interim featherweight title clash with Chad Mendes TONIGHT (Sat. July 11, 2015). If you thought having legions o read news >>

Brandon Thatch admits loss to Benson Henderson still stings

LAS VEGAS -- Brandon Thatch talks about fighting Gunnar Nelson at UFC 189, getting over his loss to Benson Henderson, why it still stings and more. read news >>

Antonio Braga Neto out, Dominique Steele in against Zak Cummings at UFC on FOX 16

Strikeforce and Bellator veteran Dominique Steele will have an opportunity to compete on the big stage of the UFC after Antonio Braga Neto was forced out of his UFC on FOX 16 bout with Zak Cummings.F read news >>

Robbie Lawler: Ready to Defend

No one trash talks Robbie Lawler. Strange, but it’s hard to recall anyone trying to play pre-fight mind games with the UFC welterweight champion, a pretty impressive fact that Lawler is in his 15th y read news >>

Invicta FC 13's Irene Aldana on love of Mexico: Winning the belt 'is a way to show it'

LAS VEGAS – Irene Aldana has a humble demeanor ahead of what’s easily the most significant fight of her young career, one that could mean a lot for her home countryFiled under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

Benson Henderson: New Division, Same Championship Aspirations

Benson Henderson is ready to face the best the world has to offer, but he'll be doing it in a different weight class for the foreseeable future. After successfully rolling the dice in a higher weight read news >>

Jose Aldo's UFC 189 pre-fight urine tests come back negative

Even though the UFC featherweight champion will not defend his title at UFC 189 anymore, his out-of-competition urine test results still came back negative for all banned substances. Jose Aldo won't read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson delayed due to Cormier injury

Daniel Cormier will still defend his UFC light heavyweight title for the first time against Alexander Gustafsson, but it won't take place at UFC 191 as expected. It looks like we'll have to wait a li read news >>

UFC on FOX 16: Dillashaw vs. Barao 2 fight card

A look at the July 25th UFC on FOX event in Chicago, IL, where T.J. Dillashaw seeks to go 2-for-2 against Renan Barao in bantamweight title fights. We've not talked much about this UFC on FOX card th read news >>