Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit Reportedly Set for UFC 193 in Melbourne

Robbie Lawler will reportedly defend his UFC welterweight title against Carlos Condit at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia. According to Dave Doyle of MMAFighting.com, his colleague, Ariel Helwani, ann read news >>

Robbie Lawler defends title against Carlos Condit at UFC 193 in Australia

Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit will meet up Down Under. Lawler will defend his UFC welterweight title against the former UFC interim and WEC welterweight champ at UFC 193 on Nov. 14, MMAFighting.com read news >>

UFC 190 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for UFC 190’s winning fighters?

With UFC 190 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 190’s winning fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Ronda Rousey KOs Bethe Correia in 34 Seconds

Ronda Rousey took only 34 seconds to defend her women’s bantamweight title, knocking out Bethe Correia in the main event at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Claudia Gadelha Snaps Jessica Aguilar’s Winning Streak

Top ranked women's strawweight contender Claudia Gadelha snapped Jessica Aguilar's ten-fight winning streak at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. read news >>

Ben Saunders Talks Veteran Grit and His Blood-Soaked Victory at UFC on Fox 16

"You're down two rounds. You have to finish him." Those were the words that came blasting from Ben Saunders' corner as he floated in the moments just before the final frame of his bout against Kenny read news >>

After winning with torn ACL, Sheymon Moraes confident he can claim WSOF belt

Sheymon Moraes has the confidence he can win the WSOF bantamweight title tonight, and he said he’s got the motivation to assure he doesn’t stray from the goal.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Vide read news >>

Leandro Issa is No Bonus Hunter, Winning is First and Foremost at UFC 190

Leandro Issa has won bonuses in two out of his three UFC bouts, but he's no bonus hunter. He's all about the victory. read news >>

UFC 190 predictions

The UFC returns to Brazil, this time with arguably the crown jewel of stars. Ronda Rousey checks in to defend her bantamweight title against an outmatched Bethe Correia, but the Brazilian seems undet read news >>