Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

From Around the Web

Why does Michael Johnson want Benson Henderson next? 'He won't run away from me'

BOCA RATON, Fla. – After winning four straight fights, moving into the lightweight division’s top 10, and finally shutting up his doubters, Michael Johnson knows exactly what – and whom – he wants ne read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw to defend title against Renan Barao in main event of UFC on FOX 16

It didn't take long for the UFC to put the T.J. Dillashaw-Renan Barao rematch back together. Dillashaw was supposed to defend his bantamweight title against Barao at UFC 186 on April 25 in Montreal, read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What next for UFC on FOX 15's winning fighters?

With UFC on FOX 15 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the card’s winning fighters.Filed under: Featured read news >>

UFC on FOX 15 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 15 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.Filed und read news >>

UFC on FOX 15 winner Beneil Dariush leaves 'the entertainment stuff' to the UFC

Beneil Dariush ran his winning streak to four with his unanimous decision victory over Jim Miller at UFC on FOX 15. The win over Miller was arguably the biggest of the 25-year-old’s young career.File read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Benson Henderson vs. Michael Johnson? Count them in

How about a fight between former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and rising contender Michael Johnson?Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Justin Gaethje knows entertaining means more than winning, because boring winners 'aren’t making money'

PHOENIX -- Justin Gaethje isn't oblivious to the realities he sees around him. The World Series of Fighting lightweight champion is one of the most exciting, go-for-broke fighters in the division, an read news >>

Video: Felice Herrig expects first round knockout over Paige VanZant at UFC on FOX 15

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) strawweight contender Felice Herrig is looking forward to putting a beating on Reebok darling Paige VanZant at UFC on FOX 15 on Saturday, April 18, 2015 live from read news >>

By The Numbers: Brazil's Winning Eleven

At UFC 185, Rafael dos Anjos became the new UFC lightweight champion after scoring a one-sided unanimous decision over Anthony Pettis. The title is the 11th won by a Brazilian in UFC history. read news >>