Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

Benson Henderson not thinking of historic implications of winning Bellator title

Benson Henderson is just over a week away from his chance to become the first fighter in MMA history to win Bellator and UFC championship belts in a career.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Cub Swanson needed to feel the nerves to pick up UFC on FOX 19 victory

After an impressive six-fight winning streak in the UFC brought him to the edge of title contention, Cub Swanson hit a two-fight losing skid and, he said, began to contemplate retirement.Filed under: read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 post-fight facts: Insane winning streak for Nurmagomedov stays alive

Saturday’s UFC on FOX 19 card was ravaged by injuries and fight changes. However, the FOX-televised card in Tampa, Fla., produced some eventful outcomes. Check out all the post-fight facts.Filed unde read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 197

UFC on Fox 19 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Craig Amos, PBP Man in Chief): UFC on Fox 19 Main Card Glover Teixeira def. Rashad Evans, knockout (Round 1, 1:48) Rose Namajunas def. T read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Glover Teixeira and UFC on FOX 19's other winners?

With UFC on FOX 19 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

The UFC returned to Tampa, Florida, for UFC on Fox 19 on Saturday with a night full of fun and excitement. In the main event, Glover Teixeira made quick work of former light heavyweight champion Rash read news >>

The 3 stars of 'UFC on FOX 19: Teixeira vs. Evans' in Tampa

The UFC plans to stage more than 40 events in 2016, and during that time, hundreds of fighters will enter and exit the octagon. While pre-fight hype is an enjoyable aspect of the sport, it’s ultimate read news >>

5 Takeaways from UFC on FOX 19: 155 Belongs to Khabib Nurmagomedov

UFC on FOX 19 showed us a few things and we listed them out for you here. read news >>

8 memorable moments from UFC on FOX 19, from a lonely place to a few bold requests

The MMA world will soon shift its attention to this week’s big UFC 197 event, with two title fights on the op of the card. But first, let’s take some time to reflect back on what took place at UFC on read news >>