Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Ronda Rousey Doesn't Care About Anything but Winning at UFC 207 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey says she's laser-focused on crushing Amanda Nunes on Friday at UFC 207 and doesn't care about anything else, the money, the media, or her image. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cody Garbrandt's title-winning victory over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207

Cody Garbrandt promised that his punching power would catch Dominick Cruz. He was right, and he left the UFC 207 co-headliner at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the UFC bantamweight championship.Fil read news >>

UFC Matchmaker: What's next for Amanda Nunes, Cody Garbrandt and UFC 207's other winning fighters?

And with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 207’s winning fighters.F read news >>

Bobby Nash replaces Yancy Medeiros, meets Li Jingliang at UFC on FOX 23

UFC newcomer Bobby Nash has replaced Yancy Medeiros and is slated to meet fellow welterweight Li Jingliang at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Henrique da Silva vs. Johnson, Caceres vs. Knight added to UFC on FOX 23

UFC on FOX 23’s fight card is quickly filling with the addition of two new bouts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 loses Hector Lombard vs. Brad Tavares, adds Alessio Di Chirico vs. Eric Spicely

A fight between UFC welterweights Hector Lombard and Brad Tavares has been scratched from UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 103 event in Phoenix, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to th read news >>

Video: Watch UFC on FOX 23 headliner Valentina Shevchenko's full 2015 bout with Sarah Kaufman

Valentina Shevchenko could be fighting for a title shot later this month at UFC on FOX 23. Ahead of that bout, check out her first UFC fight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>