Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

Conor McGregor Pretends to Apologize After Winning 2nd Title at UFC 205

Conor McGregor faced the toughest opponent of his career at UFC 205 and posted what may have been his most dominant win to date. Opposite now-former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez, McGregor lande read news >>

UFC 205 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 205 in New York City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Conor McGregor and UFC 205's other winning fighters?

UFC 205 was a historic event for the company, and for good reason. It was arguably its most stacked fight card to date.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 165 headliners Michael Chandler and Benson Henderson open to welterweight conquests

Bellator lightweight champ Michael Chandler and title challenger Benson Henderson aren’t looking to be the Viacom-owned promotion’s Conor McGregor, but the idea of chasing another belt isn’t out of t read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2328 with Henderson, McCall, Pulver, more

Stream or download Wednesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with Benson Henderson, Ian McCall, Jens Pulver, Brian Butler, Keri Anne Taylor-Melendez and Adam Piccolotti.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radi read news >>

With military service planned, 2017 could be Bellator 165 headliner Benson Henderson's final year

Bellator lightweight title challenger Benson Henderson turned 33 just two days shy of the 10-year anniversary of his first professional MMA fight. This birthday is a little more significant than othe read news >>

Fighting octagon newcomer, UFC Fight Night 99's Magnus Cedenblad says 'names are overrated'

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Despite a four-fight winning streak in the UFC middleweight division, Magnus Cedenblad said he isn’t particularly concerned with the fact he’s fighting a promotional newco read news >>

Bellator champ Michael Chandler on Benson Henderson: 'He looks afraid to pull the trigger'

Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler was two months into his professional career when Benson Henderson won his first title. Still, he figured their paths would cross eventually anyway.Filed read news >>

Gegard Mousasi on Uriah Hall Rematch: ‘It’s Time for Payback’ | MMAWeekly.com

Fifth-ranked Gegard Mousasi is riding a three-fight winning streak. His one loss in his last six fights came to Uriah Hall, but he has the chance at payback. read news >>

Bellator 165 is Benson Henderson's Career-Defining Moment (video) | MMAWeekly.com

On a quest for his third MMA promotional belt, follow Benson Henderson before he meets Michael Chandler for the Bellator lightweight belt. read news >>