Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight championship for the third time on Saturday night, when “Smooth” takes on former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the UFC on Fox 7 main event from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Though many regard Melendez as an especially significant opponent due to the bout’s champion-versus-champion dynamic, Henderson remains unconcerned with such recognition. Instead, the 29-year-old is solely motivated by the prospect of earning another victory.

“You guys know me. I don’t care at all about belts and all that. I will take the belt and everything, but going into any fight -- I don’t care if it’s your first fight for the UFC, your first fight on the main card or your first fight in a main event -- it doesn’t matter. You just have to win,” Henderson recently said during a media conference call. “I can’t emphasize that enough. It doesn’t matter whether belts are on the line or it’s a ‘win or go home; loser leaves the UFC’ [situation]. All of that is just extra stuff to sell fights. I don’t care. I’m going to go out there and win every single fight.”

To that end, Henderson avoids the pressure inherent in trying to prove oneself worthy of holding the UFC title. For “Smooth,” every fight is weighted equally, and losing is simply not an acceptable outcome.

“I’m not too worried about proving this or that. I just want to go out there and win every fight. It doesn’t matter,” said Henderson. “There are always going to be new and different stipulations or new and different reasons to win. I don’t really need any ulterior motives. I’m a highly self-motivated person. I go out there to win every single fight. I don’t care who the guy is or what the extra stuff on top of it is. I just want to go win, period.”

Regardless of any championship hype, Henderson must still contend with Melendez’s considerable abilities. While some have pined for a potential clash with featherweight champion Jose Aldo if and when “Scarface” decides to move up in weight, Henderson said he is in no way distracted from the task at hand.

“I’m definitely not looking past Gilbert,” said Henderson. “I know how tough Gilbert is, and I know he is the Strikeforce champ and has been in the top two or three for a long time for a reason. I’m not looking past him at all. Not even close.”

Despite potential for more money, UFC on FOX 18's Rafael Natal won't talk trash

Rafael Natal is riding a three-fight winning streak and has a 6-2 mark since 2013. That puts him in a solid position in the UFC’s middleweight division, but he said he’s not willing to resort to Cono read news >>

UFC on FOX 18's Ryan Bader not about to apologize for winning fights with wrestling

NEWARK, N.J. – OK, all you haters and naysayers of non-finishes. Ryan Bader has heard you loud and clear. But don’t expect him to apologize for itFiled under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 18 event in Newark, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the eve read news >>

Tarec Saffiedine explains move to Tristar Gym ahead of UFC on FOX 18 win

Tarec Saffiedine had a five-fight winning streak snapped when he lost to Rory MacDonald at UFC Fight Night 54. Something needed to change for the 29-year-old.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Anthony Johnson, UFC on FOX 18's winning fighters?

With UFC on FOX 18 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC on FOX 18’s winning fighters.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Ross Pearson wants consistency, a winning streak and a UFC return to Newcastle

BOSTON – For about three years now, Ross Pearson’s UFC life has been a yo-yo. He’s up, then he’s down. He’s up, then back down. Up … down. He’s currently back up – and this time, he’s hoping to stay read news >>

Invicta FC Champ Invicta Renata Souza Plans to Defend, but Wants UFC Title Shot

Livia Renata Souza must first defend her title at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday, but sees a UFC title shot in her near future. read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 headliner Anthony Johnson plans on retiring within three years

Veteran UFC fighter Anthony Johnson is on the cusp of another title shot in the light heavyweight division, but he’s already got plans to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cruz's title-winning victory over Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 81

Dominick Cruz took back what was formerly his when he regained the UFC bantamweight title with a split decision win over T.J. Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 81. Check out the top Twitter reactions to C read news >>

HOT TWEETS: Dominick Cruz Regains UFC Belt; What a Comeback!

Following Dominick Cruz winning back the UFC bantamweight title on Sunday, fighter took to Twitter with their reactions. read news >>