Benson Henderson at the UFC 150 weigh-ins“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”

UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson is a big fan of winning, and he doesn’t really care much how he has to get there to claim a victory.

The former WEC champion who now reigns atop the UFC’s 155-pound division, like many fighters, has had his share of exciting finishes, back and forth battles, and razor close decisions.

The way Henderson claimed the title by beating Frankie Edgar was such a close call that the UFC granted the former champion an automatic rematch. The second fight was even closer than the first, but still Henderson came away with the belt.

Whether flashy and exciting or a close call down to the wire, Henderson doesn’t really care how he gets there, as long as when the fight is over Bruce Buffer is announcing him as the winner.

“I think the first two Frankie fights, the first one was close and everyone was hoping that the second one wouldn’t be as close, be more decisive, but sadly the second one was even closer than the first one. It is what it is,” Henderson said recently when speaking to MMAWeekly.com.

So for his second title defense Henderson now draws former Ultimate Fighter winner and perennial bad boy Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, but his philosophy and approach in the fight is exactly the same.

Win by any means necessary.

“I’m just trying to get a W,” said Henderson. “I’m trying to get my hand raised however I can get it. He slips on a banana peel, I’ll take it. If it’s a decisive victory, I’ll take it.

“If it’s a closer razor thin decision, even closer than the second Frankie fight, I’ll take that too. Getting a W is not easy to come by in the UFC going against the best guy literally on the planet. I’ll take it any way I can get it.”

Henderson may take some criticism for his attitude to get the win even if it’s a close controversial decision, but in reality it’s a philosophy more fighters are likely to take if it means getting their hands on a UFC title.

The fact is Henderson competes in one of the toughest, most closely contested divisions in all of MMA, and he’s not too worried about getting the big knockout or crazy submission. If it happens, he’ll be all the more excited, but he won’t force something that puts him in a position for a greater risk to lose.

He’s also not going to disrespect his upcoming opponent by predicting that he’ll finish him inside the 25-minute time limit. Henderson knows just how good Diaz really is, and this could be another insanely close fight.

“I always fight, we all fight to end fights and to be as decisive as possible. But sometimes when you’re fighting the best guys on the planet you just can’t make it as easy as that. It’d be kind of offensive I think if I just said ‘oh yeah, I’m going there, I’m going to knockout Nate Diaz, no problem,’” said Henderson.

“No, I’m not going to say that. Nate Diaz is tough. He’s darn tough. And I’m going to go out there and do my best and try to get my hand raised any way possible.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your UFC on Fox 5 news and fight coverage.

Neil Magny vs. Demian Maia set for UFC 190 in Brazil

Neil Magny will look to extend his impressive seven-fight octagon winning streak when he meets Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia at UFC 190.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zorobabel Moreira determined to get back to winning ways at ONE: 'Dynasty of Champions'

Zorobabel Moreira was one of the most popular fighters to emerge during ONE Championship's early years (when it was known as ONE FC). He was featured on four of the first six cards and it was a major read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

Interview: UFC Fight Night 68's Matt Mitrione out for bonus-winning victory over Ben Rothwell tonight ... and beers

Former football player Matt Mitrione is rocketing up UFC's Heavyweight ladder. Find out what "Meathead" had to say prior to his heavyweight showdown with one-time IFL competitor "Big" Ben Rothwell at read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Gegard Mousasi calls out Vitor Belfort again

Gegard Mousasi called out Vitor Belfort. After winning against Costas Philippou at UFC: Manila, Gegard Mousasi campaigned for a bout at the promotion's event in Japan later this year. After a hilario read news >>

Timothy Johnson vs. Jared Rosholt added to UFC Fight Night 74

Timothy Johnson will look to run his winning streak to nine when he takes on Jared Rosholt August 8 in Nashville, Tenn.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rashad Evans wants to face Ryan Bader in UFC return

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans wants to return in September and already has an opponent in mind. It's been 19 months since we have seen Rashad Evans compete in the Octagon, with read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Jon Fitch on UFC lawsuit move: We'll fight the devil in his hometown

Jon Fitch responds to the UFC winning its motion to transfer the case to their hometown of Nevada. The UFC recently had a small victory on the on-going antitrust lawsuit filed against them, with a fe read news >>

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos already planning welterweight 'super fights'

Hey, remember when Benson Henderson was Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion and started chirping about welterweight "super fights" -- and we were all like, whoa, slow down there read news >>

Urijah Faber: 'Dead time' is what gave Frankie Edgar the win in Manila main event

All the judges had Frankie Edgar winning every round, but Urijah Faber surely didn't feel like he was blown out in the UFC Manila main event. Faber told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA H read news >>