Benson Henderson at the UFC 150 weigh-ins“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”

UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson is a big fan of winning, and he doesn’t really care much how he has to get there to claim a victory.

The former WEC champion who now reigns atop the UFC’s 155-pound division, like many fighters, has had his share of exciting finishes, back and forth battles, and razor close decisions.

The way Henderson claimed the title by beating Frankie Edgar was such a close call that the UFC granted the former champion an automatic rematch. The second fight was even closer than the first, but still Henderson came away with the belt.

Whether flashy and exciting or a close call down to the wire, Henderson doesn’t really care how he gets there, as long as when the fight is over Bruce Buffer is announcing him as the winner.

“I think the first two Frankie fights, the first one was close and everyone was hoping that the second one wouldn’t be as close, be more decisive, but sadly the second one was even closer than the first one. It is what it is,” Henderson said recently when speaking to MMAWeekly.com.

So for his second title defense Henderson now draws former Ultimate Fighter winner and perennial bad boy Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, but his philosophy and approach in the fight is exactly the same.

Win by any means necessary.

“I’m just trying to get a W,” said Henderson. “I’m trying to get my hand raised however I can get it. He slips on a banana peel, I’ll take it. If it’s a decisive victory, I’ll take it.

“If it’s a closer razor thin decision, even closer than the second Frankie fight, I’ll take that too. Getting a W is not easy to come by in the UFC going against the best guy literally on the planet. I’ll take it any way I can get it.”

Henderson may take some criticism for his attitude to get the win even if it’s a close controversial decision, but in reality it’s a philosophy more fighters are likely to take if it means getting their hands on a UFC title.

The fact is Henderson competes in one of the toughest, most closely contested divisions in all of MMA, and he’s not too worried about getting the big knockout or crazy submission. If it happens, he’ll be all the more excited, but he won’t force something that puts him in a position for a greater risk to lose.

He’s also not going to disrespect his upcoming opponent by predicting that he’ll finish him inside the 25-minute time limit. Henderson knows just how good Diaz really is, and this could be another insanely close fight.

“I always fight, we all fight to end fights and to be as decisive as possible. But sometimes when you’re fighting the best guys on the planet you just can’t make it as easy as that. It’d be kind of offensive I think if I just said ‘oh yeah, I’m going there, I’m going to knockout Nate Diaz, no problem,’” said Henderson.

“No, I’m not going to say that. Nate Diaz is tough. He’s darn tough. And I’m going to go out there and do my best and try to get my hand raised any way possible.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your UFC on Fox 5 news and fight coverage.

Training With Miesha Tate and Winning ONE Championship Title, Angela Lee is Loving Life | MMAWeekly.com

Training with Miesha Tate and winning a title for ONE Championship, 2016 has been an amazing year for Angela Lee. read news >>

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey Gets New Promo Clip, 'Vengeance On My Mind' (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC and international recording artist G-EAZY unleashed a new UFC 207 promotional clip, “Vengeance on My Mind,” on Tuesday. read news >>

Unapologetic Rousey cares only about winning back title

Ronda Rousey is uninterested in anything not related to winning back the women's bantamweight title at UFC 207 Friday night against Amanda Nunes. Rousey plans to say everything inside the Octagon on read news >>

Ronda Rousey Doesn't Care About Anything but Winning at UFC 207 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey says she's laser-focused on crushing Amanda Nunes on Friday at UFC 207 and doesn't care about anything else, the money, the media, or her image. read news >>

UFC 207 results: Dong Hyun Kim takes close split decision from Tarec Saffiedine

LAS VEGAS – Dong Hyun Kim’s relentless pressure of Tarec Saffiedine paid off when their fight went to the scorecards.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cody Garbrandt's title-winning victory over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207

Cody Garbrandt promised that his punching power would catch Dominick Cruz. He was right, and he left the UFC 207 co-headliner at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the UFC bantamweight championship.Fil read news >>

Mom: 'Average person' just can't understand how much winning means to Ronda Rousey

Every athlete deserves – and probably needs – a mom like Dr. AnnMaria De Mars.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Matchmaker: What's next for Amanda Nunes, Cody Garbrandt and UFC 207's other winning fighters?

And with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 207’s winning fighters.F read news >>

UFC 207 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Friday’s UFC 207 event in Las Vegas several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>