joe-warren-4.jpgBefore an MRI abnormality prompted his scratch from Bellator 98, ex-champ Joe Warren applied for and received a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone-replacement therapy, according to the head of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation.

Warren, who made a triumphant return to the cage at this past Friday’s Bellator 101 event, denied submitting an application. But he said he was open to the idea of undergoing TRT.

“It’s something I haven’t even experimented with yet,” he told after his win over Nick Kirk in the opening round/semifinals of Bellator’s Season 9 bantamweight tournament. “It’s all doctors talking with me and my family physicians. So it’s something I’m open minded to, but I’m just not knowledgeable about it enough yet to even talk about it.

“But yeah, we were thinking about getting a little more in depth into it, but my fight was so close that I didn’t want to mess with my body.”

Warren (9-3 MMA, 7-2 BMMA) contends he wasn’t sure if he was going to fight at Bellator 98, which took place Sept. 7 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., and didn’t ask permission to use prescribed testosterone.

“We sent all our medicals in, and they were sending it back, so there was so much drama that I was just trying to stay focused on training and doing exactly what they asked me to,” he said. “I don’t run from anything. I want to be legal, I want to be cleared, and I want everything to be on the page.”

But according to the Mohegan tribe’s athletic director, Mike Mazzulli, Warren was cleared.

“That’s completely incorrect,” he said when asked about Warren’s denial. “I received a TUE from him. I accepted a TUE. It was all filled out by his doctors.”

On the advice of a neurologist contracted by the athletic commission, Mazzulli declined to clear Warren for Bellator 98 and placed him on indefinite medical suspension pending medical clearance. Ten days prior to Bellator 101, he cleared Warren to compete after receiving additional medical documentation that proved the fighter was healthy.

Asked whether he would use prescribed testosterone for his next fight, which is expected to come later this year against fellow Season 9 finalist Travis Marx (21-4 MMA, 3-1 BMMA), Warren was unsure.

“It’s a health issue,” he said. “I’m 37. I feel young. I’ve never had surgeries. I’ve never been hurt. But it’s just not something from an Olympic standard that you think about. It’s legal, but it’s something I’m not knowledgeable about enough yet to talk about.

“It’s something I’m looking into. I have seen doctors, have them done everything with me. But I’m not to the point yet where I’ve stepped into it.”

If he decides to go ahead with the treatment, Warren would become a high-profile addition to the list of known TRT users in MMA. Bellator heavyweight Lavar Johnson, who is set to make his debut for the Viacom-owned promotion at Friday’s Bellator 102, told that he decided to stop TRT after being suspended for failing to disclose his use.

For more on Bellator’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Bellator's Marcos Galvao confident he'll get trilogy rematch with Joe Warren – eventually

Marcos Galvao is looking for a fight. He had one, and he lost it. He thought he had a new one – and it would’ve been a doozy. But he lost that, too.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>

Bellator 145's Michael Chandler: 'I just know I'm better than Will Brooks'

Bellator executives haven’t come right out and told Michael Chandler what he’s fighting for at Bellator 145 next week, other than a paycheck and a possible win on his resume.Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>