Bellator tournament veteran Alexis Vila will return to 125 pounds on Jan. 19, when “The Exorcist” takes on Joshua Sampo for the Championship Fighting Alliance flyweight title at CFA 9.

“I decided to move back down to flyweight because it is a more natural fit for me,” Vila said in the promotion’s official release. “I only moved to bantamweight to try to further my career and get into the UFC, but now that they have a flyweight division, staying at bantamweight doesn't make sense.”

Subtitled “Night of Champions,” CFA 9 takes place at the BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla. In addition to Vila’s flyweight title clash with Sampo, the event will also see Pride Fighting Championships veteran Luiz Firmino face Bellator alum Luis Palomino for the CFA lightweight strap in the evening’s headliner.

Vila, 41, won a freestyle wrestling bronze medal for his native Cuba at the 1996 Olympics but did not debut in MMA until 2007. The hard-hitting wrestler rattled off nine straight wins before making his Bellator Fighting Championships foray as a bantamweight in 2011, knocking out Joe Warren and edging Marcos Galvao before running into future champion Eduardo Dantas in the Season 5 tournament finals. Vila last competed in April, dropping a unanimous decision to Luis Alberto Nogueira in the opening round of the Season 6 draw.

“I feel I am unbeatable at flyweight. I've been training hard for almost a year waiting for this opportunity. I will walk away with that belt around my waist,” Vila continued. “I know I would run through the guys in the UFC. Many of them have been ducking out of fights with me for years. I want my chance to prove I am the best, and the only way to do that is for the UFC to sign me. Then they will be forced to fight me.”

Sampo, 28, makes his CFA debut on the heels of the biggest win of his career, as “The Gremlin” took a unanimous decision over former World Extreme Cagefighting staple Antonio Banuelos on Sept. 14 under the Texas-based Legacy Fighting Championship banner. Sampo posted a 3-1 record in 2012, with a May knockout defeat to former UFC talent Will Campuzano serving as the lone blemish on his record in his last six fights.

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>

Why Did Chael Sonnen Return to Fight for Bellator, Not the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

A day after Chael Sonnen inked a deal to return to MMA to fight for Bellator, not the UFC, the American Gangster hosted a throng of media to answer why. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

Return of the American Gangster: Chael Sonnen Opens Up About Move to Bellator

Chael Sonnen had every intention of returning to the UFC. Until he didn’t. Whatever the reason, one of the UFC’s most controversial, entertaining and bankable figures over the past seven years found read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Kongo vs. Johnson Card

On Friday night in the main event of Bellator 161, Cheick Kongo won a woeful heavyweight bout via majority decision over Tony Johnson. If you wanted to make someone hate mixed martial arts, you shoul read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Fight Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the Bellator 161 fight highlights, where Cheick Kongo got the better of Tony Johnson, and former champ Joe Warren got back on the winning track. read news >>

Top UFC Feeder Leagues Announce Merger | MMAWeekly.com

The two leading feeder organizations to UFC and Bellator are merging in 2017. read news >>