Bellator tournament veteran Alexis Vila will return to 125 pounds on Jan. 19, when “The Exorcist” takes on Joshua Sampo for the Championship Fighting Alliance flyweight title at CFA 9.

“I decided to move back down to flyweight because it is a more natural fit for me,” Vila said in the promotion’s official release. “I only moved to bantamweight to try to further my career and get into the UFC, but now that they have a flyweight division, staying at bantamweight doesn't make sense.”

Subtitled “Night of Champions,” CFA 9 takes place at the BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla. In addition to Vila’s flyweight title clash with Sampo, the event will also see Pride Fighting Championships veteran Luiz Firmino face Bellator alum Luis Palomino for the CFA lightweight strap in the evening’s headliner.

Vila, 41, won a freestyle wrestling bronze medal for his native Cuba at the 1996 Olympics but did not debut in MMA until 2007. The hard-hitting wrestler rattled off nine straight wins before making his Bellator Fighting Championships foray as a bantamweight in 2011, knocking out Joe Warren and edging Marcos Galvao before running into future champion Eduardo Dantas in the Season 5 tournament finals. Vila last competed in April, dropping a unanimous decision to Luis Alberto Nogueira in the opening round of the Season 6 draw.

“I feel I am unbeatable at flyweight. I've been training hard for almost a year waiting for this opportunity. I will walk away with that belt around my waist,” Vila continued. “I know I would run through the guys in the UFC. Many of them have been ducking out of fights with me for years. I want my chance to prove I am the best, and the only way to do that is for the UFC to sign me. Then they will be forced to fight me.”

Sampo, 28, makes his CFA debut on the heels of the biggest win of his career, as “The Gremlin” took a unanimous decision over former World Extreme Cagefighting staple Antonio Banuelos on Sept. 14 under the Texas-based Legacy Fighting Championship banner. Sampo posted a 3-1 record in 2012, with a May knockout defeat to former UFC talent Will Campuzano serving as the lone blemish on his record in his last six fights.

Cosmo Alexandre signs exclusive deal with WSOF

Kickboxing star and Bellator veteran Cosmo Alexandre has signed an exclusive multi-fight deal with WSOF, officials recently announced.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire meets Derek Anderson at Bellator 147 in San Jose

Next month’s Bellator 147 card in California has a lightweight rematch added to the main card. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Brian Rogers already raising hand to get on Shamrock-Gracie 3 card at Bellator 149

• 8 hours ago

Bellator veteran Brian Rogers is making his promotional debut as a light heavyweight on Dec. 4 at Bellator 147. The way he sees it, a bout with iron-jawed Virgil Zwicker is an audition for the big sh read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Ross Pearson meets Francisco Trinaldo at UFC Fight Night 81 in Boston

A new lightweight bout will be on tap when the UFC ships up to Boston once again in January. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>