Bellator Open to Signing Former Strikeforce Fighters, but Don’t Expect a Massive List


Since its inception, Bellator Fighting Championships has been a promotion that prided itself on building talent from within the organization and not picking up the scraps leftover from the UFC.

Now that’s not to say that Bellator hasn’t signed fighters after being released from the UFC – Ben Saunders, Paul Daley, and Maiquel Falcao are just a few of the former fighters that competed in the Octagon and received their walking papers before Bellator snatched them up.

But with Strikeforce on life support and only days remaining until a list of fighters becomes available after the inevitable happens and they are released when the promotion is no more, will Bellator swoop in to sign a huge lot of them?

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney says that has never been his company’s business plan and he doesn’t think it will change just because Strikeforce is gone, but if talent is there and it’s worthwhile, he would be open to exploring the option.

“One of my focuses when I built up the business plan was to build from within, to create our own superstars and to not be like the EliteXCs and the IFL’ and the Bodogs and the Afflictions and all of these different groups who tried to grab the fighters that had been released by the UFC and ultimately try to re-ignite a fire that had once existed under those guys. I think that’s one of the things that set us apart,” Rebney told MMAWeekly Radio.

Rebney believes building up champions like they’ve done with fighters such as Michael Chandler, Pat Curran and Ben Askren is key to a promotion separating themselves from the competition.

Still, it can’t be ignored that if a truly talented fighter is available, Bellator would be remiss if they didn’t jump at the chance to sign somebody like they did after former Strikeforce champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal was released from the promotion earlier this year.

“That’s going to stay our focus, but look at King Mo Lawal, when a guy like that becomes available and we are able to get into a bidding war and ultimately win on a guy like King Mo, and do a deal like we did with Dixie Carter (from TNA wrestling), that’s a no brainer,” said Rebney.

He also pointed to former UFC and Strikeforce contender Renato “Babalu” Sobral as a sterling example of a fighter too good to pass up on just because he had already fought in those other promotions.

The possibility remains open for Bellator to sign some of the fighters left over after Strikeforce officially shutters its doors in about 48 hours, but don’t expect a mass exodus of fighters to compete there on Saturday and find a new home with Bellator on Sunday.

“The door is open to it, but there’s never like a lock in on it and say ‘hey, we’re going to do that for sure.’ You look at it on a case by case basis, you see where a guy fits in and if he’s got the right fit for the organization, and if so there aren’t any handcuffs on us doing something like that. You could see it,” Rebney stated.

“As Strikeforce disbands, as a lot of us have known and thought was going to happen for a long time, we’ll see what happens and we’ll see who’s available.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Bellator MMA news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 13 days ago
  • 111 views

Marloes Coenen talks to Bloody Elbow about signing with Bellator as well as other big WMMA rumors such as Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano. Top female featherweight Marloes Coenen was today announced as read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 2 views

LAS VEGAS — Michelle Waterson, the Invicta Fighting Championships 105-pound champion, is already reaping the benefits of Invicta's recent broadcast deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Begin read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 1 views

Miss any of Titan Fighting Championships over this MMA-stuffed weekend? Here's a quick look back at Friday night's card from Fayetteville, NC. Aside from the two UFC events that took up nearly all of read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 9 views

Marloes Coenen, a former Strikeforce champion, and Julia Budd, who also fought in Scott Coker's original promotion, were the first two fighters announced Thursday morning as part of Bellator's plans read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 3 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s policies and ambitious schedule has left the door open for its chief rival, writes Zach Arnold. read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 0 views

Bellator has released Phil Baroni after one bout with the promotion. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 880 views

And Forrest Griffin is willing to train him. Hollywood actor Orlando Bloom took a swing at music mogul Justin Bieber and I want to make sure you know about it, because this is important. Please watch read news >>

  • 17 hours ago
  • 5 views

A number of fighers and their managers are frustrated with what they claim are poor business practices by The World Series of Fighting. Many fighters and managers had high hopes for the World Series read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC and Strikeforce veteran Ryan Couture will make his Bellator MMA debut on Sept. 12 when he takes on John Schulz in a featured lightweight clash. read news >>