Bellator, M-1 in Tug of War Over Vasilevsky


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
A tug of war over the services of former M-1 Global light heavyweight champion Vyacheslav Vasilevsky has broken out between M-1 and Bellator Fighting Championships.

Chicago-based organization Bellator announced the signing of the 23-year-old Combat Sambo World Champion on November 15 of last year. “Slava” was slated to make his promotional debut March 16 in the opening round Bellator’s Season 6 middleweight tournament against “The Ultimate Fighter” veteran Victor O’Donnell. There is now a question surrounding whether the Russian all-rounder was free to sign with Bellator in the first place, as his former promoter claims to have a valid contract with Vasilevsky.

“The contract was from the beginning of 2010 for two years,” M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan told Sherdog.com this week. “It had a champion clause, which was activated when he won the Selection [tournament] and later the Challenge titles. Currently it expires at the beginning of 2013. He owes us in the region of five fights.”

To enforce the contract, M-1 has taken legal action against Vasilevsky in an Amsterdam court. The trial against their former champion started Jan. 16, with a second hearing on Feb. 6.

“We’ve been saying this all along. Vasilevsky is under contract with M-1. The court decision from the Feb. 6 [hearing] is out this week and after that we will be taking legal action in the US to protect M-1’s rights to our fighter,” Kogan continued. “We will be doing everything we can -- with a judgment from Holland on hand -- to make sure that Vasilevsky doesn’t participate in events held by another organization in the US.”

Bellator representatives declined to give an official comment on the matter when asked by Sherdog.com.

Vasilevsky left his native Russia in fall of 2011 to join K-Dojo in the United States. The Fairfield, N.J., gym has already brokered deals which saw Adlan Amagov join Strikeforce and Khabib Nurmagomedov sign with the UFC late last year.

Follow Tim Leidecker on Twitter at @TimLeidecker or contact him at Facebook.com/Rossonero1.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 16 days ago
  • 35 views

Phil Baroni discusses his Bellator debut against Karo Parisyan on July 25. more

  • 18 days ago
  • 36 views

Bellator tried to sign Jungle Fight bantamweight champion Jonas Bilharinho, but the undefeated prospect wasn’t interested in the offer. Sources close to the situation told MMAFighting.com that "Speed", who became the 135-pound champion in March with a split decision victory over previously unbeaten Mario Israel (9-1), decided to decline the offer and wait for an opportunity in the UFC. "That’s right," Bilharinho confirmed to MMAFighting.com. "I declined (the offer) for two reasons. I have a figh more

  • 21 days ago
  • 24 views

World Series of Fighting president and founder, Ray Sefo discusses how the organization was born, deal with NBC, co-promotion and future. Tonight, NBC will be host to its very first primetime television MMA card. The World Series of Fighting has come a long way in just a little over two years, and are realizing their vision for a bright future with their 11th card. The Independence Day weekend has historically been a big one in general for MMA, and this one promises to keep in that tradition. If more

  • 23 days ago
  • 33 views

Back in the win column, The Huntington Beach Bad Boy wants more. Tito Ortiz submitted Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko in a light heavyweight bout in May, and he’s targeting a return to the cage in November, according to his muay thai coach Rafael Cordeiro. "He did an excellent fight against Shlemenko," Cordeiro told MMAFighting.com. "He will fight again in November. We don’t know the opponent yet, but he’s already training." The former UFC light heavyweight champion snapped a more

  • 23 days ago
  • 35 views

A press conference announcing the full card is expected later this month. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender Thiago Silva has finally found an opponent for his return to mixed martial arts (MMA), taking on Mike Hayes at the Fight Time 20 event on Aug. 29, 2014, inside War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. MMA Fighting brought word of the pending battle earlier today. Silva (16-3, 2 NC) hasn't seen action since huffing and puffing his way past M more

  • 24 days ago
  • 44 views

Ten fights finalized for the upcoming mixed martial arts (MMA) event on July 11 in Taiwan. ONE FC: "War of Dragons" will be the promotion's first foray into Chinese territory ahead of the series of shows on the mainland which is set to get underway this September and the 10-fight card is now complete with the addition of a heavyweight rematch between Chi Lewis Parry and Alain Ngalani. Parry (5-0-1) and Ngalani (1-1-0-1) first fought at ONE FC: "Honor & Glory" but the fight lasted less than a min more

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

The fight card is set for next month’s “ONE FC 18: War of Dragons” event, which marks the promotion’s debut in Taiwan.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News more

  • 25 days ago
  • 35 views

The fight card is set for next month’s “ONE FC 18: War of Dragons” event, which marks the promotion’s debut in Taiwan.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News more

  • 28 days ago
  • 30 views

Former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker revealed some of Bellator’s upcoming plans in an open letter to fans. Bellator MMA's new President Scott Coker wrote an open letter to fans of the promotion addressing some topics of recent discussion, including his early plans and what can also be expected in the future. Coker made it clear that his "first order of business" is to make some adjustments to the current roster, and emphasized the company's intent to focus on excitement. This was made evidently cl more