Michael Chandler does not come off as arrogant man.

But after submitting the favored Eddie Alvarez to win Bellator’s lightweight title in a “Fight of the Year” nominee last winter, Chandler isn’t exactly blushing, either.

“I feel like I can't be stopped right now,” Chandler recently told Sherdog.com. “After the way I beat Alvarez -- who was one of the top lightweights in the world -- in my last fight, I honestly almost feel indestructible right now. I am extremely confident.”

Chandler will put that confidence to the test when he squares off with Japanese veteran Akihiro Gono in the Bellator 67 main event tonight on MTV2. Though regarded as a heavy favorite to walk away from Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario, with a victory, Chandler has kept his nose to the grindstone in preparation for his upcoming contest.

“I have trained harder than I ever have before for this fight with Gono, and I am in better shape than I have ever been in my MMA career,” said Chandler. “I am younger, and I am hungrier than Gono. I know he has a lot of experience, but that is going to be his only advantage over me.”

Gono, 37, holds 56 career bouts to his credit ahead of his meeting with Bellator’s lightweight ace. A veteran of both the defunct Pride Fighting Championships and the UFC, Gono began his career in 1994. Though previously an active competitor, Gono will do battle for just the second time in the last 20 months when he faces Chandler. The Tokyo native holds 32 career wins under his belt and has been finished eight times out of 17 professional defeats.

If Chandler has his way, however, Gono will experience his ninth loss by knockout or submission in short order.

“I know I should be able to finish Gono. I am going to wear him down, and I will definitely finish him at some point. Over the course of 15 minutes, I am going break him down and make him give up,” said Chandler. “In my last fight with Alvarez, I was able to land a lot of punches. [I dropped] him twice, and I almost finished him on the feet, so I definitely feel comfortable that I can put a lot of leather on Gono's face.”

Aside from the physical advantages Chandler believes he will hold over his opponent, the champion says he will compete on Friday night with some newfound motivation due to his recent charity work for Friends of Kids with Cancer.

“I met a [nine year-old] kid named Robbie Chandler, [who had battled] bone cancer since he was two. I showed him my belt, gave him a poster, and we watched the Alvarez fight on an iPad. Being able to put a smile on his face was very fulfilling for me,” said Chandler. “A couple of weeks later, I heard that he had passed away, and that had a really big impact on me. It made me decide that I want to make a difference with my position in life.

“[Robbie had] only two years of his life that he wasn't in pain. [Meeting him] just made me realize how blessed I am to be able to do what I love,” Chandler continued. “I feel like if I am not giving back for what God has given to me, then I am not serving my purpose here on this earth.”

Josh Thomson Injury Forces Cancellation of Bellator 154 Bout with Michael Chandler

The highly anticipated co-main event of “Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo” between Josh Thomson and Michael Chandler has been cancelled. read news >>

Michael Chandler Will Battle Patricky Pitbull for Vacant Bellator Lightweight Title

Following the release of former lightweight champion Will Brooks, Bellator officials quickly followed up with an announcement to fill the vacancy. read news >>

Bellator Lightweight Champ Will Brooks Released, Fight for Vacant Title Booked

The Bellator lightweight championship will not be vacant for very long, with the announcement that two familiar names will face off for the strap in June. During Saturday night's broadcast, the promo read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Bellator to Institute Jordan Parsons Memorial Scholarship Fund

With the newly-announced Jordan Parsons Scholarship Fund, Bellator will annually send a young wrestler to "The J Robinson Intensive Wrestling Camp." read news >>

Bellator 154 Results: Phil Davis Top King Mo to Earn Light Heavyweight Title Shot

Phil Davis got the nod over King Mo Lawal at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, earning a shot at light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary. read news >>

Is New Free Agent Will Brooks a Good Addition to Stacked UFC Lightweight Roster?

Will Brooks has been released by Bellator. But this isn't just any release. Brooks was Bellator's reigning lightweight champion. The 29-year-old hasn't lost in more than three years. Bleacher Report read news >>

Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo Video Highlights

Check out all the action from Bellator 154 including, top two Light Heavyweight fighters, Phil Davis and King Mo, face-off to be the no. 1 contender and get a shot at the title. read news >>

Bellator 154 Fighter Salaries: Phil Davis and King Mo Top List with $30,000 Each

Phil Davis won the fight at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, but it was a draw on the payroll. read news >>

Despite Loss of Title Bout, Marloes Coenen Eager to Fight at Bellator 155

Despite seeing her featherweight title shot fall to the wayside, Marloes Coenen is eager to get in the cage at fight at Bellator 155 on Friday. read news >>