Bellator Championship Rematch Clause Starts in 2013, Not Retroactive for Past Fights


Bellator Fighting Championships instituted a new “championship rematch clause” this week stating that if a title fight warrants a rematch, champion or challenger can get one without having to go back through an eight-man tournament.

It’s good news for 2013, but bad news if your name is Eddie Alvarez or Jay Hieron.

As Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney explains, this new policy goes into effect starting with the promotion’s fights in 2013, and will not be retroactively applied to past title fights that ended closely or went down in exciting fashion.

“It’s going to start in 2013. A lot of people have asked me will this retroactively apply to Ed (Alvarez), he demolished (Shinya) Aoki, and Aoki was No. 5 in the world, and then the incredible knockout over (Patricky) Pitbull in front of the packed house up in Canada. At this point, I talk to Ed on a regular basis, but there’s no negotiation going on, there’s no discussion,” Rebney told MMAWeekly Radio earlier this week.

“So a consideration of retroactive applicability to this hasn’t been one we’ve really given any consideration to.”

Any future title fight will fall in line with Bellator’s new policy, however, and Rebney can point at a couple examples right away of the kind of bouts that could produce the close or explosive action required for a rematch.

“At this point, I’m looking at (Rick) Hawn/(Michael) Chandler and thinking that might be an incredible fight coming up for us at lightweight and that could be one very well that would produce the fireworks that warrants a rematch. Or (Patricio) Pitbull and Pat Curran, which is two of the top 145 pounders on Earth going at it, that could be a rematch type of fight,” said Rebney.

“I’m looking forward on all of those.”

Bellator will close out final season on MTV2 with two more shows this year before debuting on Spike TV in early 2013.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Bellator news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 30 views

Nate Diaz's manager Mike Kogan had some harsh words for Bellator's former CEO Bjorn Rebney. It has been over a month since Bjorn Rebney resigned from his position as Bellator CEO and there is at leas read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 1 views

A complete list of significant new fights reported in the past week. read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 3 views

A new day has dawned for Bellator. Bjorn Rebney, its founder and CEO, is out. Scott Coker, former Strikeforce head honcho, is in. With Coker comes a complete overhaul of Bellator's schedule and show read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 4 views

In the two months since Scott Coker displaced Bjorn Rebney as the President of Bellator MMA, the former Strikeforce boss hasn't exactly been shy about reuniting with some acquaintances from his earli read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 3 views

A complete list of significant new fights reported in the past week. read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 28 views

"Killa B" reveals he was on the brink of retiring from mixed martial arts (MMA) because the former head cheese over at Bellator MMA insisted on playing "weird games" with its talent. Ben Saunders mad read news >>

  • 11 hours ago
  • 0 views

A complete list of significant new fights reported in the past week. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 16 views

Beltran earned his spot by submitting Vladimir Matyushenko last April. Joey Beltran will get a light heavyweight title shot before Quinton Jackson does, despite the fact that "Rampage" -- 3-0 under t read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

Mark Bocek has won three of his past four fights, but the Canadian made a somewhat surprising announcement via Twitter on Tuesday that he has retired from MMA competition. I'm retiring from pro mma.I read news >>