Pat CurranAfter an extremely successful year in 2012 that saw him claim the Bellator featherweight championship, Pat Curran may be even having a better year this year.

So far in 2013, Curran has defended his title twice against two very tough opponents in Patricio “Pitbull” Freire and Shahbulat Shamhalaev. From those fights Curran feels he’s learned a lot and is all the better for them.

“I’m really listening to my body more,” he said. “I’m not pushing through training and keep grinding through injuries. I’m taking better care of my body and taking care of the injuries I have so they won’t cause bigger problems down the road.

“That’s actually made for a much better training camp and my body feels great. I’m not over training right now.”

For Curran’s third title defense, he’ll take on Daniel Straus at Bellator 106 on Friday, Nov. 2. The event was supposed to be Bellator’s first pay-per-view event, but after the Rampage Jackson vs. Tito Ortiz main event blew apart following Ortiz’s injury, the event was moved to free television on Spike TV.

On a card stacked with multiple top tier fighters and other title defenses, it would be understandable if Curran chose to want to push himself to stand out amongst the pack, but that’s not something he’s going to press himself to do.

“I’m not putting too much pressure on myself,” he said. “I just want to go out there and perform the best that I can.

“I try to put on exciting fights for the fans every time I step in the cage. It doesn’t matter if I’m on PPV or not, I’m going to fight my heart out either way.”

When it comes to Straus (21-4), even though Curran (19-4) has defeated him once before, he is looking at Nov. 2 as a whole new fight.

“We fought back in the day really early in our careers and I was able to catch him with a right hand and knock him out,” said Curran. “I’m not looking past that. I know we’ve changed and are completely different fighters. Anything can happen now.

“He’s got really good striking, is very long, uses combinations with his wrestling and grappling. He is coming off a long layoff and an injury, so I’m not sure what to expect, but I am ready to go all five rounds with him if I have to.”

With the success he’s found in Bellator, Curran told MMAWeekly.com that he’s eager to continue on and strike while the iron is hot.

“I don’t like looking past my fights, but obviously in my mind I see myself winning and am very confident in that,” he said. “If there are no injuries and I’m ready to go again, I’d like to get right back in there and keep knocking these fights out.

“I’m still young. I’m 26, and I’m trying to fight as much as possible at an early age and make it better for myself in the long run.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Monday Morning Analyst: UFC 184, Bellator 134, Invicta 11 and more

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

This past weekend allowed us to witness a huge range of combat sports events, but we have a limited amount of time. So, we're focusing our energies on UFC 184, Bellator 134 and Invicta 11. But as I m read news >>

Bellator Sues to Block Rampage Jackson's UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA has filed a lawsuit to try and block Quinton “Rampage” Jackson from making his UFC return. read news >>

Bellator goes to court to keep 'Rampage' Jackson from fighting in UFC

  • 29 days ago
  • 2 views

If you're looking forward to a slugfest between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Fabio Maldonado on April 25th in Montreal at UFC 186, Bellator MMA has other ideas. It was a newsworthy weekend for Quint read news >>

Bellator Files Lawsuit Against Rampage, Puts UFC Return in Jeopardy

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator isn’t letting Quinton “Rampage” Jackson go without a fight. A statement was released to Bleacher Report on Monday detailing a lawsuit that has been filed against the MMA legend for signing w read news >>

UFC 186: Bellator lawsuit may force Rampage Jackson off card

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

Bellator MMA has filed a court injunction in New Jersey to prevent Quinton Jackson from returning to the UFC this April. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is scheduled to fight Fa read news >>

'Rampage' Jackson calls 'King Mo' Lawal a coward following Bellator 134 victory over Cheick Kongo

  • 29 days ago
  • 81 views

It's no secret that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal aren't pals -- having sparred both verbally and physically in the past -- but Jackson couldn't resist getting in an extra di read news >>

Bellator files lawsuit against 'Rampage' Jackson ahead of scheduled UFC return

  • 29 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator MMA today filed a lawsuit to block onetime tournament winner Quinton Jackson from fighting in the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator files court injunction to remove Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson from UFC 186 competition

  • 29 days ago
  • 2 views

The future of former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is anything but clear. Despite leaving Bellator in December of 2014 after three fights with the organization and being booked oppos read news >>

Video: Does Kimbo Slice have a Bellator future beyond the Ken Shamrock fight?

  • 29 days ago
  • 16 views

After Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson returns from a five-year layoff to fight MMA trailblazer Ken Shamrock at Bellator 138, what’s next? Does the former underground bareknuckle brawler have plans beyon read news >>