Pat CurranAfter an extremely successful year in 2012 that saw him claim the Bellator featherweight championship, Pat Curran may be even having a better year this year.

So far in 2013, Curran has defended his title twice against two very tough opponents in Patricio “Pitbull” Freire and Shahbulat Shamhalaev. From those fights Curran feels he’s learned a lot and is all the better for them.

“I’m really listening to my body more,” he said. “I’m not pushing through training and keep grinding through injuries. I’m taking better care of my body and taking care of the injuries I have so they won’t cause bigger problems down the road.

“That’s actually made for a much better training camp and my body feels great. I’m not over training right now.”

For Curran’s third title defense, he’ll take on Daniel Straus at Bellator 106 on Friday, Nov. 2. The event was supposed to be Bellator’s first pay-per-view event, but after the Rampage Jackson vs. Tito Ortiz main event blew apart following Ortiz’s injury, the event was moved to free television on Spike TV.

On a card stacked with multiple top tier fighters and other title defenses, it would be understandable if Curran chose to want to push himself to stand out amongst the pack, but that’s not something he’s going to press himself to do.

“I’m not putting too much pressure on myself,” he said. “I just want to go out there and perform the best that I can.

“I try to put on exciting fights for the fans every time I step in the cage. It doesn’t matter if I’m on PPV or not, I’m going to fight my heart out either way.”

When it comes to Straus (21-4), even though Curran (19-4) has defeated him once before, he is looking at Nov. 2 as a whole new fight.

“We fought back in the day really early in our careers and I was able to catch him with a right hand and knock him out,” said Curran. “I’m not looking past that. I know we’ve changed and are completely different fighters. Anything can happen now.

“He’s got really good striking, is very long, uses combinations with his wrestling and grappling. He is coming off a long layoff and an injury, so I’m not sure what to expect, but I am ready to go all five rounds with him if I have to.”

With the success he’s found in Bellator, Curran told MMAWeekly.com that he’s eager to continue on and strike while the iron is hot.

“I don’t like looking past my fights, but obviously in my mind I see myself winning and am very confident in that,” he said. “If there are no injuries and I’m ready to go again, I’d like to get right back in there and keep knocking these fights out.

“I’m still young. I’m 26, and I’m trying to fight as much as possible at an early age and make it better for myself in the long run.”

Chris Honeycutt Sees a Paul Bradley Finish Putting Him on Fast Track to a Bellator Belt

Chris Honeycutt believes that if he can finish Paul Bradley on Friday night, it could put him on the fast track to a Bellator belt. read news >>

Bellator 148's Honeycutt on Bradley rematch: 'I never start something without finishing'

Chris Honeycutt said he’s ready to put the Paul Bradley portion of his career in the past when they meet at Bellator 148, even if he had to wait seven months to do it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 148 live video stream and official results (7:40 p.m. ET)

Bellator 148 takes place today, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 7:40 p.m. ET (4:40 p.m. PT).Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Raphael Butler Predicts Victory Over Tony Johnson at Bellator 148

Heavyweight Raphael Butler faces Tony Johnson on the Bellator 148 main card and predicts that he'll 'get the W.' read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2131 with Scott Coker and K.J. Noons

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Scott Coker and K.J. Noons.Filed under: Bellator, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Patricky Freire looking for quick knockout of Ryan Couture at Bellator 148

Patricky Freire was mentally wrecked after dropping his rematch with Derek Anderson in his most recent trip to the Bellator cage. He looks to bounce back tonight at Bellator 148 but has a tall order read news >>

Andy Uhrich Has ‘Nothing to Lose and Everything to Gain’ in Bellator 148 Main Event

Andy Uhrich knows he's not expected to beat Paul Daley at Bellator 148 on Friday, but he also knows that means he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. read news >>

Bellator 148 Results: Paul Daley Picks Up Quick Finish, Fires Shots at Josh Koscheck

Paul Daley showed off his punching power when he blasted Andy Uhrich with a first-round knockout in the main event at Bellator 148 on Friday evening. read news >>

Bellator 148 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Daley vs. Uhrich

Paul "Semtex" Daley made quick work of Andy Uhrich in the main event at Bellator 148 in Fresno, California, on Friday night. The powerful British welterweight stalked his overmatched opponent and ult read news >>

Bellator 148 video: 4 KOs, including walkoffs from Paul Daley and Patricky 'Pitbull'

Friday’s Bellator 148 main card was a stoppage-heavy affair with four knockouts in four fights, including some “Knockout of the Year” candidates a month into 2016.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Fea read news >>