Michael Chandler and Eddie AlvarezWhile not many people could have predicted how 2011 went for current Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler, don’t count him among them.

“I knew my 2011 was going to be three fights in the tournament and then a title shot, so my plan was to win all four fights, obviously, and it went according to plan,” he said.

“It showed people that I could win a three-round fight, and that we were able to overcome adversity in a four-round fight with Eddie Alvarez. It really kind of proved to people that I’m here to stay, I’m working my butt off, and that I always try to put on a good show for the fans.”

A former Division-1 All American wrestler, Chandler has always strived for perfection in competition, thus while he’s pleased with his accomplishments, he feels he’s far from finished.

“I’ve got a lot of improvement to make and a lot of hours to get into the gym and get better,” he said. “I think I improved from my first fight in the tournament to the title fight. It showed how hard I’d been working and how hard I’d been trying to improve my all-around game.

“Am I satisfied with how well I did? Yes. But I’m not complacent. I’m ready to get better every fight, put on better shows and exceed people’s expectations even more.”

When asked how things have changed since defeating Alvarez for the Bellator lightweight title in November, Chandler responded, “More than anything for me, my life has changed because now I know with all that’s come to pass the potential that I have.

“I knew I had phenomenal potential coming into the sport, but at the level I’m at it just makes me want to work harder and continue to get better as quick as possible.”

Currently Chandler hopes to return to the cage in late April or May, and when he does, his goal is to continue to defy any critics he has left and be as entertaining as possible for his fans.

“I want to solidify my role as somebody who people want to watch fight,” he said. “(Someone who) is never going to try to hold on for a win, but to try to finish fights and win in dramatic fashion. Whether I have two or three fights this year, I plan not only on winning, but winning in exciting fashion and show my improvements.”

As for a rematch with Alvarez, Chandler told MMAWeekly.com it’s a possibility.

“Yeah, I would be interested in it,” he said. “I know fans want to see it. There are a lot of people out there that say I kind of got lucky or whatnot, but I’m open to whatever. I just want to fight. Whoever it is, whatever Bellator tells me, that’s who I’d like to fight.”

Outside the cage, Chandler urges fans to keep up with him on Twitter and also check out his new company that is more about providing hope than pounding someone into submission.

“I just started a charitable clothing line called Blessed Threads,” he said. “For every t-shirt we sell, 10-percent is going to a St. Louis-based organization called Friends of Kids with Cancer. That’s kind of my project I’m dedicated to aside from fighting.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Michael Chandler negotiating new Bellator deal, wants Benson Henderson or Josh Thomson

Former Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler thinks he’s got a pretty powerful piece of leverage in negotiating a new deal with his promoter.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Rad read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Was Shocked by Split Decision in Anthony Pettis Fight

Former Bellator MMA lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez defeated former UFC 155-pound UFC titleholder Anthony Pettis over the weekend in the UFC Fight Night 81 co-main event. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2124 with Michael Chandler, Rob Font

Stream or download Tuesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Chandler and Rob Font.Filed under: Bellator, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Ilima-Lei MacFarlane on life after KOing the soccer mom

Bellator women’s flyweight Ilima-Lei MacFarlane knew she would be answering questions about her first professional MMA bout for a while.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Teammate: Josh Koscheck will fight again despite Bellator debut injury withdrawal

Josh Koscheck’s withdrawal from his Bellator debut due to injury could have been a significant setback for the veteran fighter. Fortunately, though, it won’t spell the end of the road for the 38-year read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez: UFC Fight Night 81 Winner, Scorecard, Reaction

Sunday's lightweight showdown between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez wasn't a title fight, but it felt like one. Alvarez captured the victory by split decision in a back-and-forth affair at UFC Fig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Video Highlights: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Watch the video highlights of the UFC Fight Night 81 co-main event between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81: Eddie Alvarez vs. Anthony Pettis video highlights

The decision may have been controversial, but Eddie Alvarez will happily take his UFC Fight Night 81 win over Anthony Pettis.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Eddie Alvarez after Anthony Pettis win: 'I'd love, love, love a shot at the title'

BOSTON – Eddie Alvarez said he’s often “my biggest critic,” and though he said he usually takes a pessimistic view of his performances, he believes he clearly won Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 co-headl read news >>