Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney now knows what he is up against regarding the UFC’s courtship of Hector Lombard.

The Chicago-based promotion’s founder told Sherdog.com on Wednesday that he recently received a copy of the UFC’s proposed contract to Lombard and will soon make a determination on whether to re-sign the heavy-handed southpaw.

“We’ve received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector’s attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we’re going to match the agreement,” Rebney told Sherdog.com on Wednesday morning. “We’ve got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector’s counsel. We’ve been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at.”

Bellator’s reigning 185-pound champion, Lombard has looked unstoppable during his three years with Rebney’s organization, winning the company’s inaugural middleweight tournament and posting a perfect 8-0 promotional record since his 2009 debut. Lombard’s contract expired earlier this year and the fighter is currently in a period where he may openly negotiate with rival promotions. However, Lombard is not an unrestricted free agent, as Bellator still has the right to match any competing offer.

“The reality is that Hector is going to do extremely well whether he is fighting in the Octagon or the Bellator circle, and I think everybody knew that. He’s one of the best middleweights on the face of the earth,” Rebney said. “He hasn’t fought in a long time, and he had to wait through these periods contractually to get to a point where he could go out and seek an offer from a competing organization.”

While Bellator still has a period to match the UFC’s offer, Rebney has no desire to drag out the negotiations. Instead, he says that the promotion will make a determination soon to avoid stringing the fighter along.

“Out of respect for Hector, I think we will turn [the UFC contract] around very quickly,” said Rebney. “Obviously, we have a huge event coming up Friday [Bellator 66]. As soon as that is over, we will sit down with our partners and go through the UFC contract line-for-line and make a strategic decision whether we’re going to match it or pass. [If we pass, we will] wish him the best and let him go knock out everybody in the UFC.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

  • 11 days ago
  • 166 views

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

  • 11 days ago
  • 39 views

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 51 views

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>

Why Did Chael Sonnen Return to Fight for Bellator, Not the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 64 views

A day after Chael Sonnen inked a deal to return to MMA to fight for Bellator, not the UFC, the American Gangster hosted a throng of media to answer why. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 25 views

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

Return of the American Gangster: Chael Sonnen Opens Up About Move to Bellator

  • 10 days ago
  • 29 views

Chael Sonnen had every intention of returning to the UFC. Until he didn’t. Whatever the reason, one of the UFC’s most controversial, entertaining and bankable figures over the past seven years found read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 95 views

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Kongo vs. Johnson Card

  • 10 days ago
  • 83 views

On Friday night in the main event of Bellator 161, Cheick Kongo won a woeful heavyweight bout via majority decision over Tony Johnson. If you wanted to make someone hate mixed martial arts, you shoul read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Fight Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

  • 8 days ago
  • 71 views

Check out the Bellator 161 fight highlights, where Cheick Kongo got the better of Tony Johnson, and former champ Joe Warren got back on the winning track. read news >>

Al Iaquinta Contract Dispute Nixes UFC New York Bout | MMAWeekly.com

  • 7 days ago
  • 21 views

Al Iaquinta had verbally agreed to fight at UFC New York, a fight he has wanted badly. Following a contract dispute, however, he is off the card. read news >>