Bellator Adds Rage in the Cage Champion to 205-Pound Tourney


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Five participants are now confirmed for Bellator Fighting Championships’ rapidly approaching light heavyweight tournament, as the promotion announced Wednesday the addition of Arizona-based prospect Richard "Rare Breed" Hale to the eight-man bracket.

Hale joins Tim Carpenter, Chris Davis, Nik Fekete and D.J. Linderman on the roster of official competitors for the tourney, which will crown Bellator’s inaugural 205-pound champion. Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Daniel Gracie and Raphael Davis are also rumored to join the field. While not officially announced by the promotion, the 205-pound tournament quarterfinals are expected to take place March 26 at Bellator 38.

The 25-year-old Hale, 15-3-1 in his MMA campaign, has spent the bulk of his career competing for Arizona’s long-running Rage in the Cage promotion, where he has gone 13-1 and held titles at light heavyweight, heavyweight and super heavyweight. However, the 6-foot-4 Ohio native says the weight at which he will compete for Bellator suits him best.

“I absolutely feel like I’m more powerful and explosive at 205 pounds,” Hale stated in a release. “My strength and my stamina is better, and just everything all around. With the weight cut and everything, it pushes me to be a better athlete.”

Hale has lost just once in his last 13 outings -- a September 2009 majority decision defeat to Strikeforce fighter Antwain Britt -- and has finished 13 of his 15 career wins.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 11 days ago
  • 35 views

UFC and Bellator veteran Roger Huerta will be looking to bounce back from the brutal soccer kick knockout, when he returns to the cage after a two-year absence at ONE FC: Reign of Champions. more

  • 24 days ago
  • 22 views

"A lot of people underestimate me like that, but my performances (over the last couple years) speak for themselves," says King of the Cage welterweight champ Joshua Aveles. more

  • 21 days ago
  • 31 views

From Yahoo Sports: Penn has done just about everything in his career, but at 35 he is taking on a serious challenge in Frankie Edgar. more

  • 17 days ago
  • 36 views

Bellator tried to sign Jungle Fight bantamweight champion Jonas Bilharinho, but the undefeated prospect wasn’t interested in the offer. Sources close to the situation told MMAFighting.com that "Speed", who became the 135-pound champion in March with a split decision victory over previously unbeaten Mario Israel (9-1), decided to decline the offer and wait for an opportunity in the UFC. "That’s right," Bilharinho confirmed to MMAFighting.com. "I declined (the offer) for two reasons. I have a figh more

  • 9 days ago
  • 26 views

In addition to a previously announced title fight, September’s Bellator 123 event has added some notable names to the fight card.Filed under: Bellator, News more

  • 25 days ago
  • 139 views

Former UFC champion, Georges St. Pierre publicly supports Canadian drug kingpin Jimmy Cournoyer with letter of support. Georges St. Pierre may be retired, but he's still making the media rounds pretty regularly and in ways that might not always be so positive. In today's GSP news, he is publicly backing "King of Pot" Jimmy Cournoyer, who happens to be awaiting sentencing here in the good ole US of A. Cournoyer pled guilty to trafficking in huge amounts of marijuana. St. Pierre sent a letter of s more

  • 27 days ago
  • 57 views

In a week where Vale Tudo Japan made headlines with a newly signed UFC partnership, the Japanese promotion also brought its show to Osaka for the semifinals of its ongoing 125-pound tournament. more

  • 28 days ago
  • 30 views

Former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker revealed some of Bellator’s upcoming plans in an open letter to fans. Bellator MMA's new President Scott Coker wrote an open letter to fans of the promotion addressing some topics of recent discussion, including his early plans and what can also be expected in the future. Coker made it clear that his "first order of business" is to make some adjustments to the current roster, and emphasized the company's intent to focus on excitement. This was made evidently cl more

  • 28 days ago
  • 50 views

With the tournament format -- and former head honcho Bjorn Rebney -- scrapped, Scott Coker is eager to bring Bellator to "new heights." While no one can deny that Bellator was already an established mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, its "seasonal" tournament-style events weren't always "must-see" television. That's all about to change, now that Scott Coker is seated at the head of the table. Coker -- the recently-appointed president of Bellator MMA -- says his main goal as the new man in charg more