waachiim-spiritwolf-1.jpgHere’s how you know you have the makings for a potential barnburner: Since Waachiim Spiritwolf stood toe to toe with Marius Zaromskis and survived, he figures he can do the same tonight against Marcus Davis at Bellator 93.

Perhaps that’s the reason the two welterweights kick off tonight’s main card, which airs on Spike TV from Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine.

Like UFC vet Davis (21-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC), Spiritwolf (9-11 MMA, 1-2 BFC) has heavy hands. And against his opponent, a former pro boxer who’s won four of five fights since his UFC run ended in 2011, Spiritwolf hopes he gets a chance to show it.

After all, despite two recent losses to former DREAM champ Marius Zaromskis (one due to a cut and the other via split decision), as well as a no-contest with him during a 2010 Strikeforce event, Spiritwolf was clearly game.

“I stood up with Marius Zaromskis in three fights, who’s one of the best strikers in the world,” he said. “A lot of people would say I hands down won the second fight, and I have a lot of people say that I won the third fight as well. I also injured both of my hands during that fight. So if I can go to a split decision with Zaromskis after standing up with him for most of the fight, that makes me confident I can stand up with Marcus Davis too.”

The 37-year-old also is confident in his ground skills. Davis, after all, has added some solid grappling credentials to his resume in recent years. But he’s confident Davis, who fights in his home state for the first time in his career, will look to please fans. And that means plenty of striking.

“Marcus is a really tough fighter, but I feel like I have the strategy, the foot speed and the hand speed to really take advantage of my gameplan,” Spiritwolf said. “So I’m going to look to go in there and hit him hard, and we’ll see who’s standing at the end.

“I feel like I can match or beat him in everything in he does, so I’m very confident in this match up.”

Despite a sub.-500 record and a single split-decision victory in the past three years, Spiritwolf knows why he gets fights with big organizations. He knows why fans like seeing him on cards, and he knows why promoters sign his checks to have him on their cards.

He’s here to entertain, he said.

“I see this fight as ‘Hand Grenades’ vs. ‘Tomahawks,’” the Native American fighter said. “It’s going to be exciting for the fans. He likes throwing bombs, and I like throwing bombs, and we’re just going to see who’s got the biggest heart.

“I love putting on a great show. Every time I fight, people come to me after the show and tell me I really made their night or deserved the fight of the night or whatever. The people with the promotion are all very nice to me, and Bjorn (Rebney) is such a gentleman, so I really look forward to putting on another great show for Bjorn.”

So, if months or years from now people are still talking about tonight’s fight, Spiritwolf knows he did his job.

“This is a great way to start the show,” he said. “I’m batting leadoff again, and it’s going to be a great fight. People are going to say, ‘Man, I remember that Spiritwolf and Davis fight.’ My goal is to go in there and win.”

For more on Bellator 93, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Brennan Ward open to Bellator title fight after concluding perfect year with Rizin win

Brennan Ward’s perfect year of competition, in which he defeated and stopped all four opponents he faced, has him hungry for that success to spill over into 2016.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Michael Page Returns in Bellator 151 Co-Main Event

The "Bellator 151: Warren vs. Caldwell" co-main event features the return of undefeated Michael "Venom" Page. read news >>

Fernando Gonzalez vs. Michael Page gets Bellator 151 co-main event spot

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 151.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Derek Anderson injured, Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire meets Ryan Couture at Bellator 148

An injury to Derek Anderson has forced him off Bellator 148’s main card and Patricky Freire will step in to face Ryan Couture at the Jan. 29 event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Four preliminary-card bouts added to Bellator 148 in Fresno, Calif.

Bellator’s card in Fresno, Calif., later this month may have undergone a change at the top recently, but its prelims today continued to grow.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC contender Yoel Romero notified of potential USADA violation

UFC middleweight contender Yoel Romero is the latest fighter who’s possibly run afoul of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

USADA Informs Yoel Romero of Potential Out-of-Competition Anti-Doping Violation

Yoel Romero ended 2015 with a split decision win over Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza to set himself up for a possible middleweight title shot in 2016, but that may have just come to a screeching halt. On Tue read news >>

Reactions to Yoel Romero's potential testing failure (Kennedy, Bisping bring the fire)

UFC middleweight contender Yoel Romero was given notice of a potential USADA drug-testing failure today, and it’s news that apparently came as little surprise to many of his fellow fighters.Filed und read news >>

UFC Middleweight Contender Yoel Romero Notified of Potential Anti-Doping Violation

The United States Anti-Doping Agency on Tuesday informed the UFC of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation by middleweight contender Yoel Romero. read news >>

CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall: Latest News, Rumors on Potential Fight

UFC President Dana White revealed former WWE Superstar CM Punk will fight Mickey Gall in his first bout with the promotion provided Gall is victorious in his February debut. White announced the news  read news >>