Bellator 93's Spiritwolf: If I can stand with Zaromskis, I can stand with Davis

• submit to reddit

waachiim-spiritwolf-1.jpgHere’s how you know you have the makings for a potential barnburner: Since Waachiim Spiritwolf stood toe to toe with Marius Zaromskis and survived, he figures he can do the same tonight against Marcus Davis at Bellator 93.

Perhaps that’s the reason the two welterweights kick off tonight’s main card, which airs on Spike TV from Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine.

Like UFC vet Davis (21-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC), Spiritwolf (9-11 MMA, 1-2 BFC) has heavy hands. And against his opponent, a former pro boxer who’s won four of five fights since his UFC run ended in 2011, Spiritwolf hopes he gets a chance to show it.

After all, despite two recent losses to former DREAM champ Marius Zaromskis (one due to a cut and the other via split decision), as well as a no-contest with him during a 2010 Strikeforce event, Spiritwolf was clearly game.

“I stood up with Marius Zaromskis in three fights, who’s one of the best strikers in the world,” he said. “A lot of people would say I hands down won the second fight, and I have a lot of people say that I won the third fight as well. I also injured both of my hands during that fight. So if I can go to a split decision with Zaromskis after standing up with him for most of the fight, that makes me confident I can stand up with Marcus Davis too.”

The 37-year-old also is confident in his ground skills. Davis, after all, has added some solid grappling credentials to his resume in recent years. But he’s confident Davis, who fights in his home state for the first time in his career, will look to please fans. And that means plenty of striking.

“Marcus is a really tough fighter, but I feel like I have the strategy, the foot speed and the hand speed to really take advantage of my gameplan,” Spiritwolf said. “So I’m going to look to go in there and hit him hard, and we’ll see who’s standing at the end.

“I feel like I can match or beat him in everything in he does, so I’m very confident in this match up.”

Despite a sub.-500 record and a single split-decision victory in the past three years, Spiritwolf knows why he gets fights with big organizations. He knows why fans like seeing him on cards, and he knows why promoters sign his checks to have him on their cards.

He’s here to entertain, he said.

“I see this fight as ‘Hand Grenades’ vs. ‘Tomahawks,’” the Native American fighter said. “It’s going to be exciting for the fans. He likes throwing bombs, and I like throwing bombs, and we’re just going to see who’s got the biggest heart.

“I love putting on a great show. Every time I fight, people come to me after the show and tell me I really made their night or deserved the fight of the night or whatever. The people with the promotion are all very nice to me, and Bjorn (Rebney) is such a gentleman, so I really look forward to putting on another great show for Bjorn.”

So, if months or years from now people are still talking about tonight’s fight, Spiritwolf knows he did his job.

“This is a great way to start the show,” he said. “I’m batting leadoff again, and it’s going to be a great fight. People are going to say, ‘Man, I remember that Spiritwolf and Davis fight.’ My goal is to go in there and win.”

For more on Bellator 93, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

• 6 hours ago

As a Russian fighter making his living in a foreign land, Andrey Koreshkov knows what to expect when he steps into the cage. And he’d like more of it, please.Filed under: Bellator, News more

Bellator MMA introduced Scott Coker, Strikeforce’s founder and former CEO, as its new president this past week. The fight promotion’s new head executive today issued a letter to fans.Filed under: Bellator, News more

It's been a little over a week since former Strikeforce founder Scott Coker replaced Bjorn Rebney as the president of operations for Bellator MMA. And while things remain quiet as Viacom plots out the future for what has already been referred to as "Bellator 2.0," Coker offered fight fans a sneak preview on Thursday, posting a letter on Bellator.com that can be seen in its entirety below. Dear Bellator Nation, I wanted to take a moment and tell you all how excited I am to be a part of the Bellat more

Since signing on with Bellator MMA, Scott Coker has remained relatively quiet. more

But cautions that her idea of a "break" is probably much different than Georges St. Pierre's. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey, has 12 fights in just under four years, dating back to her amateur mixed martial arts (MMA) debut in August 2010, and will have No. 13 in less than two weeks. It's time for a break. Even when "Rowdy" isn't fighting, she's keeping herself busy outside of combat sports. The Olympian has been tearing up the silver screen with more

Until then, you can relive all the action here. Newport Beach, Calif. (June 25, 2014) - Spike TV will telecast an encore presentation of one of MMA's most memorable events of 2014, "BELLATOR MMA: RAMPAGE vs KING MO" on Friday, July 18 at 9:00pm ET/PT. For the first time on free television, fans that missed Bellator's first-ever pay-per-view event can witness the highly-anticipated grudge match between Rampage Jackson and King Mo plus epic upset victories for Will Brooks and Tito Ortiz. Fans can more

The end of the line has come for Eric Prindle and several other fighters, who are no longer on Bellator's roster. Bellator's house cleaning has extended beyond just ousting Bjorn Rebney and Tim Danaher. Earlier this week, the promotion confirmed the release of 19 fighters from its roster, most notably former heavyweight tournament winner Eric Prindle. The 38-year-old went on a run of just 1 win in his last 7 fights, and was stopped by James Thompson earlier this month. Prindle is best known, and more

Fight fans who missed the initial airing of Bellator's debut pay-per-view now have a chance to catch it for free. An encore presentation of Bellator 120 will air on Friday, July 18 at 9:00pm ET/PT on Spike TV, promotion officials announced on Wednesday. The replay is scheduled to debut one week before Bellator returns with its latest Summer Series event, Bellator 122. Bellator 120 originally took place on May 17 at the Landers Center in Southaven, MS. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson squeaked out a con more

If you missed Bellator MMA’s recent pay-per-view debut, you can watch a replay next month on Spike TV.Filed under: Bellator, News more