waachiim-spiritwolf-1.jpgHere’s how you know you have the makings for a potential barnburner: Since Waachiim Spiritwolf stood toe to toe with Marius Zaromskis and survived, he figures he can do the same tonight against Marcus Davis at Bellator 93.

Perhaps that’s the reason the two welterweights kick off tonight’s main card, which airs on Spike TV from Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine.

Like UFC vet Davis (21-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC), Spiritwolf (9-11 MMA, 1-2 BFC) has heavy hands. And against his opponent, a former pro boxer who’s won four of five fights since his UFC run ended in 2011, Spiritwolf hopes he gets a chance to show it.

After all, despite two recent losses to former DREAM champ Marius Zaromskis (one due to a cut and the other via split decision), as well as a no-contest with him during a 2010 Strikeforce event, Spiritwolf was clearly game.

“I stood up with Marius Zaromskis in three fights, who’s one of the best strikers in the world,” he said. “A lot of people would say I hands down won the second fight, and I have a lot of people say that I won the third fight as well. I also injured both of my hands during that fight. So if I can go to a split decision with Zaromskis after standing up with him for most of the fight, that makes me confident I can stand up with Marcus Davis too.”

The 37-year-old also is confident in his ground skills. Davis, after all, has added some solid grappling credentials to his resume in recent years. But he’s confident Davis, who fights in his home state for the first time in his career, will look to please fans. And that means plenty of striking.

“Marcus is a really tough fighter, but I feel like I have the strategy, the foot speed and the hand speed to really take advantage of my gameplan,” Spiritwolf said. “So I’m going to look to go in there and hit him hard, and we’ll see who’s standing at the end.

“I feel like I can match or beat him in everything in he does, so I’m very confident in this match up.”

Despite a sub.-500 record and a single split-decision victory in the past three years, Spiritwolf knows why he gets fights with big organizations. He knows why fans like seeing him on cards, and he knows why promoters sign his checks to have him on their cards.

He’s here to entertain, he said.

“I see this fight as ‘Hand Grenades’ vs. ‘Tomahawks,’” the Native American fighter said. “It’s going to be exciting for the fans. He likes throwing bombs, and I like throwing bombs, and we’re just going to see who’s got the biggest heart.

“I love putting on a great show. Every time I fight, people come to me after the show and tell me I really made their night or deserved the fight of the night or whatever. The people with the promotion are all very nice to me, and Bjorn (Rebney) is such a gentleman, so I really look forward to putting on another great show for Bjorn.”

So, if months or years from now people are still talking about tonight’s fight, Spiritwolf knows he did his job.

“This is a great way to start the show,” he said. “I’m batting leadoff again, and it’s going to be a great fight. People are going to say, ‘Man, I remember that Spiritwolf and Davis fight.’ My goal is to go in there and win.”

For more on Bellator 93, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Would Scott Coker welcome Dada 5000 back to Bellator? - MMA Plus

Bellator MMA President Scott Coker spoke about the potential return of Dada 5000, whilst squashing rumours of his drastic fight week weight-cut. read news >>

Bellator 153: Koreshkov vs. Henderson Video Preview

Take a look at three pivotal fights from Friday's Bellator 153, which includes welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov putting his belt up against Benson Henderson. read news >>

Undefeated Brent Primus Taking Aim at the Top of Bellator Lightweight Division

Undefeated Brent Primus is ready to get busy rising up the ranks, taking aim at the top of the Bellator lightweight division. read news >>

Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez set to meet at Bellator 158 in London

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 158.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>