waachiim-spiritwolf-1.jpgHere’s how you know you have the makings for a potential barnburner: Since Waachiim Spiritwolf stood toe to toe with Marius Zaromskis and survived, he figures he can do the same tonight against Marcus Davis at Bellator 93.

Perhaps that’s the reason the two welterweights kick off tonight’s main card, which airs on Spike TV from Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine.

Like UFC vet Davis (21-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC), Spiritwolf (9-11 MMA, 1-2 BFC) has heavy hands. And against his opponent, a former pro boxer who’s won four of five fights since his UFC run ended in 2011, Spiritwolf hopes he gets a chance to show it.

After all, despite two recent losses to former DREAM champ Marius Zaromskis (one due to a cut and the other via split decision), as well as a no-contest with him during a 2010 Strikeforce event, Spiritwolf was clearly game.

“I stood up with Marius Zaromskis in three fights, who’s one of the best strikers in the world,” he said. “A lot of people would say I hands down won the second fight, and I have a lot of people say that I won the third fight as well. I also injured both of my hands during that fight. So if I can go to a split decision with Zaromskis after standing up with him for most of the fight, that makes me confident I can stand up with Marcus Davis too.”

The 37-year-old also is confident in his ground skills. Davis, after all, has added some solid grappling credentials to his resume in recent years. But he’s confident Davis, who fights in his home state for the first time in his career, will look to please fans. And that means plenty of striking.

“Marcus is a really tough fighter, but I feel like I have the strategy, the foot speed and the hand speed to really take advantage of my gameplan,” Spiritwolf said. “So I’m going to look to go in there and hit him hard, and we’ll see who’s standing at the end.

“I feel like I can match or beat him in everything in he does, so I’m very confident in this match up.”

Despite a sub.-500 record and a single split-decision victory in the past three years, Spiritwolf knows why he gets fights with big organizations. He knows why fans like seeing him on cards, and he knows why promoters sign his checks to have him on their cards.

He’s here to entertain, he said.

“I see this fight as ‘Hand Grenades’ vs. ‘Tomahawks,’” the Native American fighter said. “It’s going to be exciting for the fans. He likes throwing bombs, and I like throwing bombs, and we’re just going to see who’s got the biggest heart.

“I love putting on a great show. Every time I fight, people come to me after the show and tell me I really made their night or deserved the fight of the night or whatever. The people with the promotion are all very nice to me, and Bjorn (Rebney) is such a gentleman, so I really look forward to putting on another great show for Bjorn.”

So, if months or years from now people are still talking about tonight’s fight, Spiritwolf knows he did his job.

“This is a great way to start the show,” he said. “I’m batting leadoff again, and it’s going to be a great fight. People are going to say, ‘Man, I remember that Spiritwolf and Davis fight.’ My goal is to go in there and win.”

For more on Bellator 93, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Matt Mitrione Gets Medical Clearance for Bellator 158: London

Matt Mitrione has cleared medical testing and will now face “Britain’s Strongest Man” winner Oli Thompson during the main card of Bellator 158: London. read news >>

UFC Statement on Daniel Omielanczuk

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency informed Daniel Omielanczuk of a potential Anti-Doping Policy Violation involving Meldonium, a prohibited substance on the Wor read news >>

Ricardo Abreu Latest Fighter Flagged for UFC Anti-Doping Violation

UFC middleweight Ricardo Abreu on Sunday became the latest fighter flagged for a potential UFC Anti-Doping Policy violation. read news >>

Injury to Linton Vassell Causes Bellator 158 Main Card Shift

An injury to Linton Vassell has derailed his summer plans of competing in front of his fellow Englishmen against Francis Carmont at Bellator 158: London. read news >>

Jon Jones Removed from UFC 200 vs. Daniel Cormier for Potential Doping Violation

Jon Jones will reportedly not be allowed to fight against Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 on Saturday after he was flagged for a potential anti-doping violation, according to Fox Sports UFC on Twitter. MMA read news >>

HOT TWEETS: Twitter Melts Down Over Jon Jones Being Pulled from UFC 200

Jon Jones was pulled from UFC 200 for a potential anti-doping violation and the MMA community is collectively sad, angry, upset, sad, confused, sad, but also mostly sad. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Reacts to Jon Jones' UFC 200 Removal, Potential Doping Violation

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier admitted to being "very sad" and "very disappointed" by the news that Jon Jones has been pulled from their title fight at UFC 200 because of a potential read news >>

Jon Jones Upset, but Unbroken, by Potential UFC 200 Anti-Doping Violation

Though a potential anti-doping policy violation has forced him off the UFC 200 fight card, Jon Jones is upset, but not unbroken, as he moves forward. read news >>

Mark Hunt Comments on Potential Brock Lesnar Rematch, UFC Sale and More with TMZ

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt would like a rematch with Brock Lesnar after his unanimous-decision loss at UFC 200 and said he wasn't happy with the drug-testing exemptions the WWE star received ahead of read news >>

James Gallagher Predicts a Finish of Mike Cutting at Bellator 158

James Gallagher predicts that he'll finish Mike Cutting in their Bellator MMA 158 featherweight bout on July 16 at O2 Arena in London. read news >>