Three years ago, Marcus Davis’ plan was to close out his career at 155 pounds and “entertain some people along the way before my old ass retires,” as he put it to (

Well, that didn’t take. Davis has fought six times since then, going 4-2 mostly in larger regional promotions. He plans to fight five times this year with three bouts under the Bellator banner.

On Thursday, Davis (21-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC) fights in front of a sold-out, hometown crowd when he meets Waachiim Spiritwolf (9-11 MMA, 1-2 BFC) at Bellator 93, which takes place at Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine. He was born three hours away in Houlton. The fight serves on the Spike TV portion of the event’s main-card, which follows prelims on

Davis’ remaining fights will be for two other promoters that, as of yet, are being kept under wraps.

Don’t think for a second that Davis isn’t aware of what an extended career in combat sports could mean for his health. He’s seen more than a few doctors during a career that’s spanned 20 years and fights in boxing, kickboxing and MMA. He knows the dangers.

“If you think all those fights haven’t shortened my life span … I’m a realist,” Davis told Radio ( “But it’s no different than somebody’s choice to pick up a cigarette and smoke, or pick up a beer and drink and kill some brain cells.

“My choice was that I am on this earth to fight. I chose MMA to be the business that I was involved in. That’s how I cared for my family. I accept the fact that this is what I’ve done, and I don’t want to change a damn thing about it.”

Davis plans to soldier on in his longtime weight class at 170 pounds, but said he would drop back to lightweight if he decided to compete in a Bellator tournament. He once cut a staggering 22 pounds in 12 hours to make the 155-pound limit, but now says dietary changes have eliminated the need for a hard weight cut.

For now, his plan doesn’t include committing to the three-month competition known as “the toughest tournament in sports.”

When he’s not fighting, Davis runs a successful gym in Bangor, Maine, where he trains private clients, and also has an interest in a supplement company. His wife is a nurse and also runs a dessert company out of their home. Then there are his four kids.

There’s plenty of activity in his life, but Davis can’t extinguish the passion he has for the sport.

“I don’t believe I’m a guy that’s something different or special,” he said. “I just believe that the doors have been laid in front of me, whether you believe in God or not, and I’ve walked through the doors and made some good decisions on doing some things, and I enjoy doing them.”

For more on Bellator 93, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site. Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to

'Bellator 145: Uncut' video: Behind the scenes of two title fights in St. Louis

In the latest edition of the behind-the-scenes “Bellator: Uncut” series, go inside the promotion’s recent card in St. Louis, which featured a pair of title fights.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator Plans Aggressive Global Expansion in 2016

Bellator MMA is set to take its cage outside North America for the first time with an aggressive global expansion plan for 2016. read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 146's 16 fights, with violent potential in main event

MMA fans who look at fight cards with 12 or 13 fights and think, “That’s nice, but I need more,” will be overjoyed when they see the lineup for Friday’s Bellator 146 event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Brandon Girtz Expects Fights That Lead to Bellator Gold

Having defeated Melvin Guillard, Brandon Girtz wants fights that lead him down a path to Bellator gold. read news >>

Bubba Jenkins on Bellator 146 opponent Jordan Parsons: 'I plan to beat his face in, badly'

If Jordan Parsons’ plan was to get Bubba Jenkins’ attention, he accomplished that goal ahead of their featherweight showdown tonight at Bellator 146. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 video: Melvin Manhoef scores 28th knockout in 30th career win

One thing is nearly certain when Melvin Manhoef fights: You’re going to see a knockout – whether he’s on the giving or receiving end.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>