Bec RawlingsBec Rawlings has had to make some tough choices in her pursuit of making it in mixed martial arts. She’s uprooted from her home in Australia, leaving behind her family and friends to chase her dream of becoming a UFC champion.

She also carries the weight of an entire continent on her shoulders when she enters The Ultimate Fighter 20: Team Pettis vs. Team Melendez fighter house. Australians have appeared on two seasons of the reality show and haven’t been able to produce successful results. They were completely shut out of the finals during the recent series TUF Nations, which pitted Australians against Canadians.

“I think it motivates me,” Rawlings told MMAWeekly.com about Australian’s poor performances on the reality series. “A lot of people are saying that Australian fighters are rubbish and they’re never going to get anywhere. I think we’ve just had rough trot, and it happens.”

SEE ALSO: Bec Rawlings Video Interview

The difference between top-level athletes and those just on the cusp of making it is largely the sacrifices they’re willing to make to achieve their goals. The 25-year-old Aussie believes aspiring Australian fighters need to be willing to relocate to the U.S. once they’ve reached a certain level of success.

“That’s what I’ve done. I’ve taken my camp to the U.S. and really given it my all and put myself in the best opportunity possible to win this thing,” said Rawlings. “I just switched camps to Alliance MMA in San Diego, so we’ve been working on a lot of stuff, just trying to fix some stuff in my game. It’s taken my skillset to a whole new level.

“I think a lot of the Australian fighters need to succumb to that they have to come over to the U.S. for better camps. They can’t just do it in Australia anymore. It’s just not big enough,” she added.

Rawlings was not criticizing Australian MMA camps. She’s simply a realist who recognized that there comes a point that a fighter has to choose to seek out better training opportunities.

“I’ve got this far by training and fighting in Australia, so it’s not that bad. But there comes a time when you have to come over here because this is where all my opponents are training,” said the TUF 20 contestant. “They’re getting the best possible training, so I needed to that for myself as well.”

From Around the Web

Leonardo Santos: 'The sport should evolve so there's a safety plan for what happens after'

“The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 2? winner Leonardo Santos feels secure, or as secure as he can, about the trajectory of his career. What happens after that worries him.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Gastelum vs. Marquardt Set for Mexico City Card

Currently serving as a coach on season two of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America, Kelvin Gastelum will get back to his day job on June 13, when he faces Nate Marquardt in UFC 188 action in Mexico Cit read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 - Episode One Preview

Read on for a preview of episode one of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4...available exclusively on UFC FIGHT PASS read news >>

Minotauro Comes Back against Struve at UFC 190

Fresh from a stint coaching The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4, heavyweight legend "Minotauro" Nogueira will get back to his day job in his home country of Brazil on August 1, as he faces off with 15th-ra read news >>

Chris Leben was 'a bit of a d**k head' to Jason Thacker on The Ultimate Fighter

Former UFC slugger Chris Leben was featured as a guest on Sunday's edition of Submission Radio. 'The Crippler' recounted of his stint on the historic debuting season of The Ultimate Fighter which saw read news >>

Pic: The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 21 mansion is massive

Just....wow! Aside from the talent that comes out of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), many fight fans are eager to see just what kind of accommodations the up-and-coming contenders will be privy to during read news >>

Watch Anderson Silva finding out about his UFC 183 test failure

UFC legend Anderson Silva was set to coach on The Ultimate Fighter Brazil, but he got pulled after failing a UFC 183 drug test. Check out video of the moment that he was informed of the failure. Ande read news >>

Anderson Silva’s reaction to drug test results: ‘I did not take anything’

Anderson Silva was kicked out of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4 after failing a pre-UFC 183 drug test, and his departure will air on next Monday’s episode on Fight Pass. Check a teaser of that episod read news >>

Diego Brandao wants Conor McGregor rematch after Aldo "kicks his ass"

The Ultimate Fighter Season 14 champion Diego Brandao says he wants to fight Conor McGregor once again but now with a full camp. He also doesn't believe 'The Notorious' can find a way to defeat curre read news >>