Bas Rutten Undergoes Neck Surgery


Bas Rutten - neck surgeryFormer UFC heavyweight champion and King of Pancrase Bas Rutten on Monday was awake in the hospital and recovering from neck surgery.

Rutten underwent surgery in hopes of making space for some impinged nerves in his neck.

The condition had been causing weakness in Rutten’s right arm, so much so that he said he could not do one five-pound curl. In contrast, he said he could curl 50 pounds for at least 30 repetitions with the other arm.

Rutten said prior to the operation that the procedure would “fuse three discs together in my neck, which will make space for my nerves that are caught right now, and then hopefully I will get my strength back!”

The procedure took place early Monday morning and seems to have went well.

Rutten was awake and commenting on Facebook and Twitter Monday afternoon, writing, “OK, Im awake, will let you all know more when I know more. Thanks for all the ‘Best wishes’, much appreciated!”

Rutten is currently a co-host of Inside MMA on AXS TV, and also recently starred alongside Kevin James film “Here Goes the Boom.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC and MMA news and notes.

(Photo courtesy of Bas Rutten)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 74 views

There's something so cool about UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt (10-8-1)—entrancing even. He's a human paradox, a man whose very existence defies the carefully crafted rules that govern the world of combat read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 16 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight Antonio Silva was knocked out by Andrei Arlovski at the UFC Fight Night 51 mixed martial arts (MMA) event earlier this month in Brasilia, Brazil (more read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 16 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was fined $50,000 as a result of the brawl that took place between he and Daniel Cormier at an August 4, 2014 press event to promote UFC 178. Representatives read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was fined $50,000 by the Nevada Athletic Commission for his part in a brawl with Daniel Cormier on Aug. 4. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and 205-pound top contender Daniel Cormier appeared before the Nevada Athletic Commission to discuss their August brawl at a press event. Both fighters receiv read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and his next challenger, Daniel Cormier, on Tuesday were handed penalties by the Nevada Athletic Commission for a media day brawl. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier were punished today for their roles in an August brawl. Check out the Twitter reactions to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s decision. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 14 views

Good news for UFC heavyweight Antonio Silva: A long-planned surgery was apparently successful.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 34 views

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is gearing up for an early-2015 return to the octagon, and he already has an opponent in mind. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>