Pat Barry's submission defense is improving. | Photo: Sherdog.com

Pat Barry saw his finish of Christian Morecraft coming before he landed the crushing blow that spelled disaster for his opponent.

According to the heavyweight, he noticed an opening in Morecraft’s defense midway through round one, though the application of that knowledge would not come to fruition until the opening presented itself once more.

“Maybe 10 or 12 seconds before I threw the left hook, I saw the opening, and I went for it,” Barry told Fox Sports following his victory at UFC on FX 1 at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. “Suddenly, Herb Dean was pulling me off of him. It was everything we hoped for in camp.”

A gifted striker, Barry’s ground game has predictably been his weak link since transitioning to mixed martial arts, his submission defense costing him in three of his four career losses. Initially, it appeared that Barry would once again show his relative inexperience on Saturday night, but “HD” showed improved skills on the floor, escaping Morecraft’s top control and submissions.

“In the heat of battle, it’s hard to tell [if a submission is close], but the armbar was in,” Barry said of Morecraft’s tightest submission attempt, which he managed to escape after a struggle.

Barry nearly attempted a submission of his own, grabbing a guillotine choke with his back against the cage. However, Barry admitted later that he strayed from the game plan by considering the submission finish in the bout’s opening minutes.

“I’m very prone to going for submissions and squeezing with everything I have. When it doesn’t work, my arms and legs go numb,” said Barry. “[My coach and I] agreed before the fight that I could only go for a submission if there were 10 seconds or less before the end of a round. I had [the guillotine], and I almost started celebrating. Then I looked over [to my corner] and [my coach] was shaking his head.”

Barry credits his preparation at Team Death Clutch, with competitors like former UFC champion Brock Lesnar and current Bellator king Cole Konrad, for his growing poise on the mat.

“I think that was the first time I was the smallest guy in the room, when I was rolling around with the big guys at Death Clutch. Wrestling is the most tiring thing in the world,” said Barry. “I never knew I was claustrophobic until I had these guys lying on top of me. Now it’s becoming a little more second nature, being on the ground and [reacting] to being in trouble instead of just panicking.”

While Barry has faced a considerable list of talent since joining the UFC in 2008, the 32-year-old is most concerned about what lies ahead as he continues to round out his skills as a mixed martial artist.

“It’s the evolution of the sport. I’m not as bad as people think. I just haven’t done it a lot. This is like third or fourth time I’ve done live groundwork [in a fight],” Barry said. “I’m going to throw heat at anybody, no matter who it is. I fought [Mirko] ‘Cro Cop’ [Filipovic], [Cheick] Kongo and Stefan Struve. Morecraft was a bigger fight to me than all of those, because every fight is the next big fight.”

UFC 207 pre-fight facts: Garbrandt looking for number two slot on bantamweight knockout list

The UFC’s year-end fight card is always one of its biggest. That trend continues as the promotion closes out 2016.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey Watch List, Who to Watch Out For (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Senior Vice President of Talent Relations Sean Shelby sits down with Jon Anik to discuss who to look out for at UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 play-by-play and live results (7 p.m. ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event, and you can join us for live play-by-play and official results beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC 207 discussion thread

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, which kicks off at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT). You can discuss the event here.Filed under: read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 207's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 takes place Friday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-event news conference here on MMAjunkie at approximately 1:30 a.m. ET (1 read news >>

UFC 207 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Thursday’s early and official UFC 207 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT local time).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Thursday's UFC 207 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place Friday, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT local time).Filed under: News, U read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I'm Going to Make a Statement (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes is ready to make another statement next week. "The Lioness" defends her title for the first time against former champ Ronda Rousey at UFC 207. read news >>

With Velasquez fight off UFC 207, Fabricio Werdum wants to fast-forward to rematch with champ Miocic

With his rematch against a fellow former heavyweight champion off the table for UFC 207 on Friday, Fabricio Werdum has one pretty big idea of what his next fight could be, instead. Filed under: News, read news >>