Bounced from perhaps the most important fight of his career by a failed California State Athletic Commission drug test, former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett faced the music.

The CSAC this week denied the 31-year-old a license for his scheduled bout against Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The positive test for a banned performance enhancer left the show without its main event and left many to question’s Barnett’s place in the sport. He issued a statement on his MySpace page on Thursday.

“My representatives and I are working to gather as much info as possible and handle this situation as best as we can,” Barnett said. “I am embarrassed and want nothing more than to resolve this issue and receive a license from the state of California, as I have done many times already and for other states, as well. I am very thankful for all the great family, friends and fans that still support me.”

Barnett’s test was positive for 2a-methyl-5a-androstan-3a-ol-17-one, according to the CSAC, which learned of the results Tuesday and informed promoters Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global that the heavyweight’s showdown with Emelianenko would not be approved.

The CSAC said Barnett’s test was “observed in the presence of a CSAC representative and the sample was sent to the World Anti-doping Agency test facility” at UCLA.

“When applying for my license, the CSAC asked for me to submit a urine sample for testing prior to granting my license, as they do with everyone, I believe,” Barnett said. “It was not a random test. I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my sample at the earliest possible opportunity on June 25. I never once thought there would be a problem.”

Barnett was suspended for six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in 2002 due to a post-fight urinalysis that revealed the presence of three anabolic agents (Boldenone metabolite, Fluoxymesterone metabolite and Nandrolone metabolite) in his body when he defeated Randy Couture to win the title. Barnett denied using the anabolic steroids and challenged the NSAC’s testing protocol.

From Around the Web

All drug tests from UFC 184 come back clean

For the first time in history, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) administered an entire card post fight with blood and urine tests at UFC 184. And all the fighters have come back clean. read news >>

Former Bellator Champ Alexander Shlemenko Fighting Drug Test Failure

Former middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko intends to fight California State Athletic Commission charges that he failed his Bellator 133 post-fight drug test. read news >>

California's Andy Foster lays out commission's plans for better drug testing

IRVINE, Calif. -- Prior to Bellator 136, California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) executive officer Andy Foster invited a small group of writers to take part in its first media day. With the goal read news >>

Nevada Athletic Commission discusses overhaul of drug testing policies, punishments

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) held a day-long meeting in Las Vegas on Friday to discuss a potential overhaul of its drug testing program in an effort to combat what one expert called "the PED read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 drug test results released

Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) today released the drug test results for UFC Fight Night 62 on FOX Sports 1, which took place inside Maracanazinho Gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on S read news >>

Anderson Silva gets more time to answer NSAC's complaint, hearing likely in May

The Nevada State Athletic Commission granted a request from Anderson Silva for more time to file an answer to the commission’s complaint against him. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Judge not, lest ye be judged: My night with the California State Athletic Commission

IRVINE, Calif. -- Photographers jockeyed for position to my left. The referee passed in front of me. Thousands of fans screamed. From my chair alongside judge Mike Beltran, the only two things I was read news >>

NSAC would make Anderson Silva's test results available, no comment on 2016 Olympics

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has no say in whether or not Anderson Silva competes in the 2016 Olympics, but it would make the ex-champ's testing results available to the International Olympic read news >>

Anderson Silva Planning on Fighting 5 More Years

Failed drug test or not, Anderson Silva isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The former UFC middleweight champ’s training is now focused on extending his professional fighting career for another five y read news >>