Josh Hill The ScoreCanadian bantamweight prospect Josh Hill, in 2011, took the right steps forward to reach the threshold of big career opportunities.

Three wins in three fights, including claiming his first Canadian MMA title and winning his first ever hometown match in Hamilton, Ontario, made for a year that Hill couldn’t have asked for anything better.

Accomplishing what Hill set out to do didn’t come without some difficulty, though, “Besides my last fight, I did very well.

“I thought my first two I fought really well, but going into my last fight, I was sick with the flu. Even though the first round went how I wanted it to, after that I really had nothing left. I had no gas in the tank, no strength or anything like that, so I just kind of grinded out the last two rounds to get the win. I’m not happy with it, so I hope to be a lot more explosive in this fight.”

Still early in his career, Hill knows that everything is part of the growing process, good or bad.

“I haven’t been in this game that long, only two years of fighting even, and I’m just learning,” he said. “Like in my training camp, (I’ve learned) when I should tone it down or pick it up. Also with dieting, that’s huge because I knew nothing about dieting before. I’m dieting properly before the weigh-in and doing a proper weight cut and stuff like that.

“It’s a lot of little things that I’ve accumulated to help my game out overall.”

Hill will look to put what he’s learned to good use on Friday as part of Score Fighting Series 4 in Edmonton, Ontario, against fellow up-and-comer Eric Wilson.

“I’ve seen him fight a couple times and he’s definitely no slouch,” said Hill of Wilson. “He’s only lost once, to John Fraser, who is another top Canadian bantamweight, so there’s no shame there. It’s going to be a tough one, but I’m looking forward to it.”

Hill told MMAWeekly.com that while Wilson prefers a particular part of the fight game, he should be able to control the rest. Even with his advantages, though, Hill is not taking Wilson lightly.

“Right when he hits the mat, he’s always looking for ankle locks, heel hooks, and knee bars; that’s his game. He loves doing that stuff,” said Hill. “I think I’ll be more athletic, and probably the bigger, stronger guy in this fight.

“I’ve got to be smart with it. I don’t want to rush into anything stupid and get caught and end up paying the price for it. I want to impose my will. I want him to feel my power, speed and strength right away. If he can withstand that and go later, then that’s good for me too because I know I can go all three rounds.”

Hill knows there are expectations that the winner of this fight could take the next step in their career, moving into one of the top promotions in the world, like the UFC or Strikeforce. It’s a move he’ll welcome when it comes, but not before then.

“I feel I can compete with anybody in the world at 135 pounds, I just have to go out there and actually do it,” he said. “I definitely think I’m close; whether it’s one fight, two fights, three fights away or whatever.

“There’s been a lot of talk about it, but I don’t want to get side tracked thinking about it – that’s when you pay the price. I’m just thinking about Wilson, and then we’ll start talking about other stuff after the fight.”

(Score Fighting Series 4 streams live on MMAWeekly.com on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)

Tony Ferguson Has No Plans to Watch Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson is one of the top lightweights in the division, but says he couldn't care less about champion Eddie Alvarez's fight with Conor McGregor. read news >>

Stephen Thompson Plans to 'Muhammad Ali' Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is prepared for his first UFC title fight and plans to 'Muhammad Ali' champion Tyron Woodley at UFC 205 on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 205's Karolina Kowalkiewicz plans to give champ Jedrzejczyk 'hardest fight of her life'

NEW YORK – No one has been able to figure out the puzzle that is UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. However, UFC 205 challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz insists she’s going to be the one to ge read news >>

Georgi Karakhanyan Plans Move to Lightweight Following Featherweight Fight in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Following his Bellator 164 bout in Israel, Georgi Karakhanyan plans to leave featherweight behind and make the move to lightweight for some pivotal bouts. read news >>

Eduard Folayang Plans to Prove the World Wrong in Shinya Aoki Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang knows that he is considered a long shot to defeat Shinya Aoki at ONE: Defending Honor, but he plans to prove the doubters wrong. read news >>

Former champ Miesha Tate plans to take some down time after UFC 205

NEW YORK – After a busy year, former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate is planning to take some time away from the sport following her upcoming UFC 205 bout with Raquel Pennington.Filed u read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping wants next defense at UFC 208, plans to retire when he drops belt

NEW YORK – With a record-tying 27 UFC fights to his name, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has put a time limit on his career – and it’s set around the length of his title reign.Filed under: read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Carrington Banks Plans to 'Put Offense on Jake Roberts' at Bellator 165 | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten lightweight Carrington Banks takes on fellow undefeated fighter Jake Roberts at Bellator 165 at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

UFC rep: 3 events scheduled for Brazil in 2017

SAO PAULO – The UFC plans to promote three events in Brazil in 2017, the same number held this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>