Chris BealIf anything, undefeated bantamweight prospect Chris “Real Deal” Beal’s recent fight at BAMMA USA: Badbeat 7 proved that he can adjust to unexpected situations and make the best of things.

Originally scheduled in a feature bout with veteran Shad Smith, Beal found out that they’d be stepping into the show’s main event after both headlining fighters went down with injury.

“It doesn’t matter whether I fight first or last,” said Beal. “This is the second time I’ve become the main event for him, so they know they can call on me and I’ll perform.”

It’s in his performance that Beal was able to overcome the second issue, illness, and take the fight via unanimous decision to raise his record to 7-0.

“I think I performed as best I could with the situation I was in,” said Beal. “I was a little under the weather, a little sick, and that week I didn’t really train that hard because I had congestion in my chest and stuff.

“My striking was pretty good and I stayed away from anything he had to offer pretty much and took the fight where I wanted it to go. I landed a good amount of punches and elbows and in the end did pretty good. I still put a lot of damage on him.”

Beal feels with his performance in the fight that he’s proven he can make the most of a situation and defeat a veteran fighter with more experience than he has.

Should he continue on his current progression, bigger opportunities may not be that far off.

“I’m feeling good and just like I need to keep taking those baby steps,” he said. “I know at 100-percent or even like at 90-percent, I’ll be way better than that performance, so I’m pretty confident about taking that next step.

“I’m just going to relax the rest of this year and maybe fight in January. This was my fourth fight this year, so I want to rest my body a little bit, get strong and ready for 2013.”

(Photo courtesy of BAMMA USA)

Chael Sonnen Weighs In on BJ Penn’s IV Ban Suspension

Chael Sonnen weighs in on UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn's recent suspension for violating the IV ban portion of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy. read news >>

Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marin Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Lightweight Sage "Super" Northcutt (8-1) rebounded from his recent loss to Bryan Barberena by eking out a decision win over Enrique "Wasabi" Marin (8-4) at UFC 200 on Saturday. The three-round, 15-mi read news >>

Velasquez drops Browne in 1st Round

After dealing with injuries that limited him to just five fights since 2012, the old Cain Velasquez showed up at UFC 200, as the former two-time heavyweight champion blasted through Travis Browne in read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko’s Win Over Fabio Maldonado Overturned, but Russians Refuse Decision

Fedor Emelianenko's recent victory over UFC veteran Fabio Maldonado has been changed to a unanimous draw. read news >>

Bad Blood Boils Over Between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen

Chael Sonnen's recent comments on Jon Jones being yanked from UFC 200 has stirred a hornet's nest, and now there's some choice words between the two camps. read news >>

Holly Holm on Jon Jones Doping Violation: ‘We stick together as a team’ (Video)

As distracting as Jon Jones' recent anti-doping violation might be, teammate Holly Holm said, while Jackson-Wink MMA sticks together, she has remained focused. read news >>

Trevin Giles Looking to Remain Unbeaten Against Josh Clark at RFA 41

Trevin Giles was slated to face recent UFC signee Tom Gigliotti at RFA 41 on July 29, but will now face Josh Clark in the evening’s middleweight main event. read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

• a day ago

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>