bruno-carvalho-1.jpgHe almost made it to 145 pounds. But alas, 149 was where he wound up.

Bruno Carvalho still managed to earn a split-decision win in his most recent fight, which came this past September against Maicon Bastos in Brazil, but he’s headed back to lightweight as he makes his Bellator debut this week.

“I feel great at this weight,” Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I’m excited for the fight and plan to put on a show.”

Carvalho (8-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC), who on Thursday meets Edson Berto (16-10-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) at Bellator 94, this past summer told MMAjunkie.com about his plan to fight at featherweight and lightweight to make himself more attractive to the UFC.

Missing weight, though, is never attractive to big promotions, and Carvalho recognizes the need to make a good impression out of the gate.

“I’m on a two-year contract,” he said. “This fight now is highly important. Depending on the result, I might gain a spot on the next lightweight tournament. It’s an opportunity that I don’t want to let pass.

“I’ve trained as much as I could so I can move up the Bellator rankings. I don’t wish to merely participate. My goal is to be the lightweight champion.”

Bellator 94 takes place at USF Sun Dome. The event’s main card airs live on Spike TV following prelims on Spike.com, which carries Carvalho vs. Berto.

Carvalho left his first chosen sport of muay Thai to pursue a career in MMA, and he’s 8-2 as a professional. He joins dozens of top lightweights who hope to compete in Bellator’s next tournament, which could take place this summer.

Carvalho already has brushed shoulders with the world’s biggest fight promotion. He said he passed tryouts for the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but the show’s producers decided last minute to recruit talent from the welterweight division.

Now comes another opportunity to gain the kind of exposure he needs to take his career to the next level.

“I see this as the greatest opportunity in my career,” he said. “I going there to dominate. I’ve talked the talk. Now I’m going to walk the walk. I want to be the champ. I want to show the world that I’m No. 1 in my weight class.

“I’ve matured a lot as a fighter since last year. I’m better prepared for greater challenges. I’m more serious now. I don’t party. I just train and go home.”

For more on Bellator 94, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Undefeated Brent Primus Taking Aim at the Top of Bellator Lightweight Division

Undefeated Brent Primus is ready to get busy rising up the ranks, taking aim at the top of the Bellator lightweight division. read news >>

Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez set to meet at Bellator 158 in London

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 158.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Bellator 153 highlights: Benson Henderson falters, and Michael Page taunts after toehold

Benson Henderson’s heavily promoted Bellator debut didn’t go as planned – not for him, anyway. Check out the video highlights of that headliner and other Bellator 153 bouts.Filed under: Bellator, Fea read news >>

Next for Andrey Koreshkov? Bellator champ discusses Askren, 'Venom,' Lima and 'Cyborg'

UNCASVILLE, Conn. – With a victory over former UFC and WEC titleholder Benson Henderson in Friday’s Bellator 153 headliner, welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov solidified his spot as one of the wo read news >>