Julian Erosa-CageSportFollowing the first loss of his career in December, Washington 145-pound prospect Julian Erosa was looking to rebound recently at CageSport 24. Not so much because of the loss, but to not lose to a fighter he had beaten previously.

“After losing to Drew (Brokenshire), it didn’t deter me or break me down too much,” said Erosa. “There were things I could have done and should have done in that fight to win it, but I wasn’t able to do it, and Drew just had a good game plan against me.

“So it was important to come back and get a win, but it really has nothing to do with the Drew fight. It has more to do with having beaten Jason Gybels once before and it would have been more of a heartbreak if he would have beaten me after I had won the first one.”

Luckily for Erosa, he managed to submit Gybels in the second round and raise his record to 10-1 and get back on track.

“I fought Jason once before and got the knockout the first time around, so I knew my hands were probably going to be better than his and I thought for sure he was going to go for the takedown, which he did in the first fight. So I wasn’t really surprised by his effort to take me down,” said Erosa.

“I’m (good at scrambling) on the ground and hard to sub, so I wasn’t worried about that. I was worried about him winning the rounds just on positioning and bullying me around.”

Following a slow start, Erosa managed to step things up in the second and catch Gybels with a triangle choke.

With the win, Erosa told MMAWeekly.com that next he’s looking to avenge his loss from last year.

“I’m pretty sure we’re going to rematch in July, so I’m really stoked about that,” he said. “I know all the stuff I need to do to beat him and work on in camp and perform on that day.

“If I’d lost again, who knows what would have happened? Maybe I’d have to fight a couple more dudes before I’d fight (Brokenshire) again, but (beating Gybels) definitely puts me in line to fight him again and hopefully get the win over him.”

Rematch aside, Erosa’s goal for the remainder of the year is to expand both his game and his exposure in the featherweight division.

“The whole goal for this year is getting out there, training with other camps and just seeing where I fall with higher level guys,” he said. “I come from Yakama, which maybe isn’t the biggest town – and we have a great team here – but it’s always nice to see where you fall with other top pros.

“I really want to try to explore my options and see where I fall in line with UFC guys and see how I do against them and see if I can keep up in the UFC at 145 pounds. I’m just really looking forward to pushing myself this year and maintaining my record and getting into any shows that is going to further my career.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Pat Curran Intent to Unleash His Inner Anger at Bellator 139

  • 12 days ago
  • 0 views

Pat Curran knows what he needs to do to get back on track at Bellator 139, and that's to unleash his inner anger. read news >>

Scott Coker: Bellator originally wanted an eight-man tourney at Bellator 141

  • 14 days ago
  • 1 views

ST. LOUIS – When Bellator MMA recently announced a one-night four-man tournament, it surprised almost everyone in the MMA world. But the initial vision was a bit more ambitious.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Dana White: 'Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor on track for over 1 million PPV buys'

  • 16 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC president Dana White believes the UFC 189 spectacle featuring Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor will secure over 1 million pay-per-view buys. It's the featherweight bout everyone's been talking about. read news >>

Visa issues forces changes at UFC Fight Night 70, UFC 190

  • 17 days ago
  • 25 views

The United States visa system has faced technical issues recently, and that affected the UFC’s next card in the country. The UFC Fight Night 70 card, scheduled for June 27, was moved from Sao Paulo t read news >>

Video: Oscar De La Hoya responds to Floyd Mayweather's call out

  • 18 days ago
  • 421 views

Oscar De La Hoya has responded to Floyd Mayweather's recent call out. After Oscar De La Hoya recently spoke about thinking of a comeback, Floyd Mayweather decided to call out the now 42-year-old for read news >>

UFC 188 injuries and medical suspensions: Fabricio Werdum, Eddie Alvarez facing six-month sits

  • 19 days ago
  • 305 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently tied a ribbon around its UFC 188: "Velasquez vs. Werdum" pay-per-view (PPV) mixed martial arts (MMA) event, which took place last Saturday night (June 13 read news >>

Video: What is the key to staying healthy in training and still being fight ready?

  • 20 days ago
  • 64 views

With UFC officials recently announcing partnerships with both EXOS and Fusionetics designed around keeping the promotion’s fighters healthy, we decided to ask fighters what their opinion is on the be read news >>

Gastelum Back On Track, Stops Marquardt

  • 22 days ago
  • 3 views

Kelvin Gastelum pounded on Nate Marquardt for two rounds before the former Strikeforce champ couldn't come out of his corner for the third to capture the win on the UFC 188 main card. read news >>

Arianny Celeste Behind the Scenes Playboy Shoot Video

  • 24 days ago
  • 427 views

UFC ring card girl Arianny Celeste recently did her second photoshoot for Playboy magazine. Check out the UFC "professional hot chic" looking hot. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez discusses why he was recently forced to put fighting aside

  • 25 days ago
  • 11 views

MEXICO CITY -- Eddie Alvarez discusses his upcoming UFC 188 bout against Gilbert Melendez, the fight being five years in the making, his feelings towards Melendez, life away from his family, his rece read news >>