steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

Fighting for Barnett leads to fulfilling life

To Josh Barnett, fighting is more than just about a physical contest or wins and losses. It's about leading a fulfilling life. Barnett headlines Fight Night Hamburg against Andrei Arlovski on Sept. 3 read news >>

John Phillips Ready to Defend at BAMMA 26: ‘The champ needs some dosh!’

BAMMA middleweight champ John Phillips has been on a tear, but he's ready to turn things up a notch. "The champ needs some dosh!" read news >>

SEPT. 10 — Ryan Curtis Says He’s Coming for the BAMMA Flyweight Belt

For his BAMMA debut on Sept. 10 in Dublin, Ireland, Ryan Curtis will take on fellow undefeated up and comer Aaron Robinson in a preliminary 125-pound bout. read news >>

Aaron Blackwell Has All the Confidence to Win BAMMA Bantamweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Aaron Blackwell returns to fighting in a 135-pound main card title challenge against incumbent champion Alan Philpott at BAMMA 26 on Saturday in Dublin. read news >>

John Kavanagh: Conor Will Decide on Next Move "Within Days" | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC Speaking at the BAMMA 26 press conference yesterday in Dublin, John Kavanagh said that Conor McGregor would make a decision on his next fight “within days”, as he set read news >>

Rhys McKee Looks to Finish Tommy McCafferty, Take a Crack at BAMMA Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Rhys McKee will seek his fourth straight win when he returns to BAMMA on Saturday in Dublin against veteran Tommy McCafferty in a preliminary 145-pound bout. read news >>

CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The UFC gave Mickey Gall a prime spot against CM Punk, which the 24-year-old ran with by submitting the former WWE champion via rear-naked choke in the first round at UFC 203 in Cleveland on Saturday read news >>

Backstage at BAMMA 26 | FIGHTLAND

The majority of the people on press row thought that Andy 'Taz' Young did enough to topple top rated European flyweight Rany Saadeh after their three round main event in Dublin at the weekend. Saadeh read news >>

Still undefeated, UFC Fight Night 95's Gregor Gillespie eyes spot on Albany card

BRASILIA, Brazil – Now 8-0 in his professional MMA career following a successful UFC debut, former NCAA Division I national wrestling champ Gregor Gillespie still sees a lot of room to grow: ‘I’m lea read news >>

UFC Fight Night 97 lineup set with Alvey vs. Nicholson in featured prelim spot

The lineup is set for the UFC’s second trip to the Philippines for UFC Fight Night 97 in October.Filed under: News read news >>