steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

UFC Fight Night 100: Claudia Gadelha vs. Cortney Casey video highlights

One fight removed from a failed title bid, Claudia Gadelha showed she is still one of the top fighters in the strawweight division with a dominant decision win over Cortney Casey.Filed under: News, U read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100’s Cezar Ferreira says driving for Uber taught him about money

SAO PAULO – After a failed experiment as a UFC welterweight, Cezar Ferreira went to the promotion in summer 2015 and said he needed some time off. While he nursed injuries, he turned to Uber.Filed un read news >>

Megan Anderson vs. Charmaine Tweet gets headline spot for Invicta FC 21 on Jan. 14

Invicta FC 21 is ready to kick off its 2016 season with a showdown in the featherweight division.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101 Athlete Outfitting pay: Fighters with highest payouts all suffer losses

MELBOURNE, Australia – Fighters from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 101 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $110,000.Filed under read news >>

Matt Schnell gets late-replacement spot on Saturday's TUF 24 Finale fight card

Matt Schnell didn’t win “The Ultimate Fighter 24,” but he’s got a spot on the undercard of the show’s live finale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 24 Finale's Sara McMann hopes she gets another shot at Ronda Rousey – title or not

Sara McMann really, really dislikes losses. And she really, really likes avenging them.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 166's former champ Marcos Galvao using losses to Dantas to come back stronger

• a day ago

For nearly four years, Marcos Galvao has gotten past everyone Bellator has put in front of him … except Eduardo Dantas. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tony Ferguson Sets UFC Record, but His Prize Is a Spot on a Waiting List

On Saturday night in Mexico City, Tony Ferguson broke a UFC record. He defeated Rafael dos Anjos—outdueled him, really—and in doing so, became the first UFC lightweight ever to win nine straight figh read news >>

For Miesha Tate at UFC 205, the Student Better Not Become the Teacher

When Miesha Tate begins her bid to reclaim the UFC women’s bantamweight title, she’ll do it against a familiar charge. Raquel Pennington is on a three-fight win streak and is currently eighth on the read news >>

UFC's George Sullivan accepts 1-year USADA suspension despite no failed test

George Sullivan has accepted a one-year suspensions from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>