BAMMA USA's reinvented Steve Magdaleno gunning for big-show spot

• submit to reddit

steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

Two up-and-coming lightweights battle for a spot in the 155-pound pecking order. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) booked an interesting lightweight showdown between Ramsey Nijem and Carlos Diego Ferreira for the upcoming UFC 177 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sat., Aug. 30, 2014, inside the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, California. UFC announced the pairing on Sunday. Nijem (9-4) went 0-2 during an awful 2013 fight campaign, but was able to battle back and win his next two fights. After taki more

Fighters like Chris Weidman, Daniel Cormier, and Khabib Nurmagomedov have managed spotless professional records. Currently at 10-0, Michinori Tanaka is looking to follow in their footsteps. more

Steve Austin, one of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, not so secretly doubles as an MMA aficionado, and gives his thoughts on every UFC champion, as well as what he sees as the realities of the pro sports world in 2014 as it relates to Chael Sonnen. Within the UFC, when the question comes up regarding what celebrity outside the sport itself is the most knowledgeable, a name that comes up high on most lists is retired pro wrestler turned reality show personality and podcast host Steve more

Less than three months before the most significant fight of Jon Jones' career, an unlikely character in the realm of sport emerged to offer his opinion on Bones' rematch with Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 178. During a candid interview on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, former professional wrestling star "Stone Cold" Steve Austin offered Ariel Helwani his opinions on each of the UFC's nine champions. Although Austin made many colorful remarks along the way, he spent the most time explaining to H more

And it's all thanks to the "cheapskates" who don't but the events, according to "The California Kid." If you thought Urijah Faber was upset that he was relegated to the prelims and denied a spot on the main card of this weekend's (Sat., July 5, 2014) UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) event, you're sadly mistaken. In fact, "The California Kid" asked to headline the preliminary card -- which airs on FOX Sports 1 -- opposite Alex Caceres. Why? Because more people will tune in to watch his free fight as op more

I can think of a worse way to spend 90 minutes, and even if you aren't a professional wrestling fan, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin has some interesting insight into mixed martial arts (MMA) and its biggest promotion, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). That includes his comments on UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones (read 'em here), which ruffled a few feathers on Monday following the conclusion of the MMA Hour. Watch Austin dish on "Bones" and a bunch of other hot-button topics in the video more

Pro wrestling legend "Stone Cold" Steve Austin joins us in studio to discuss his new show on CMT, entitled "Broken Skull Challenge," and other topics. more

Jon Jones talented, but two-faced? "Stone Cold" criticism -- and praise -- from perhaps the greatest WWE superstar of all time. World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) legend "Stone Cold" Steve Austin -- an avid mixed martial arts (MMA) fan -- was a recent in-studio guest on "The MMA Hour" to chat about the latest happenings in the sport, sharing perspective from his entertainment side of the fence. One of the many topics he touched on was the level of star-power on the current Ultimate Fighting Cha more

Stone Cold Steve Austin, one of the legends of professional wrestling, appeared on the MMA Hour Monday afternoon and spoke on a multitude of topics, including his love of mixed martial arts and UFC 175. more