steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told ( “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

Sam Stout: Retirement 'decision wasn't hard' since he 'can't take a punch' anymore

After three KO losses in a row, Sam Stout called it a career - just in time, as he now reveals. read news >>

Sarah Kaufman Misses Her Target, Draws Germaine de Randamie at UFC on FOX 17

Sarah Kaufman had been gunning for someone at the upper end of the UFC women's bantamweight rankings for her next fight, but she won't get her wish. read news >>

Nick Diaz's attorney could make motion for Nevada deputy attorney general to remove himself from case

Proceedings could get messy at Nick Diaz's disciplinary hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) on Monday. Diaz's attorney Lucas Middlebrook told MMA Fighting that he could make a motion fo read news >>

John Dodson: My mom and newborn daughter don't deserve this hatred from angry UFC fans

Top flyweight contender John Dodson failed to dethrone Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 125-pound kingpin Demetrious Johnson (again) at last weekend's (Sat., Sept. 5, 2015) UFC 191 pay-per-view ( read news >>

Mayweather's retirement bout: UFC champs, fighters & MMA personalities weigh in

UFC champions, fighters and MMA's top personalities weigh in on Floyd Mayweather's retirement fight. They make predictions and discuss where they feel "Money" sits in boxing's all-time P4P rankings. read news >>

UFC 191 salaries: Three fighters make more than Demetrious Johnson

Despite being one of the most dominant champions in the UFC, Demetrious Johnson wasn't the top-paid fighter on the UFC 191 card. There has been a lot of talk about Demetrious Johnson's lack of appeal read news >>

Dos Anjos wants to KO Cerrone quickly: 'I don't work overtime in the Octagon'

Rafael dos Anjos wants to make quick work of Donald Cerrone in their rematch for the UFC lightweight title. Though current UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos has won most of his fights by deci read news >>

UFC 191 payouts and salaries: Anthony Johnson rumbles his way to top spot with $230k

UFC 191 fighter payouts for those athletes competing at the "Johnson vs. Dodson 2" pay-per-view (PPV) event last weekend (Sat., Sept. 5, 2015) from inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, were re read news >>

Anthony Johnson ready for 28-day turnaround if injury bug strikes UFC 192

Anthony Johnson was unsuccessful in his bid to become UFC light heavyweight champion earlier this year. He still has aspirations to hold the title, even if it means a quick turnaround.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Raquel Pennington resorted to 'drastic measures' to make weight for UFC 191

Raquel Pennington made a huge statement at UFC 191, submitting favored Jessica Andrade with a second-round rear-naked choke. While the fight played out the way she wanted, the path to get to the figh read news >>