steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

UFC 189 post-fight facts: Chad Mendes joins small group with third failed title bid

UFC 189 may have got off to a slow start, but the action quickly ramped into high gear, and the final six fights ended via stoppage. Check out 55 post-fight facts about the show.Filed under: News read news >>

Rashad Evans vs. Ryan Bader at UFC 192? Both fighters want it

Rashad Evans has long said that a bout with Ryan Bader would make sense for his return after a long injury layoff. It appears Bader sees the sense in this fight, too. And it seems both can agree on a read news >>

Hindsight - UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Romero in retrospect

Your knockout will be a tale to frighten children, to make lovers cling closer in their rapture. Come with me, and be immortal. Yoel Romero is crafting himself quite the storybook of violence, his la read news >>

Conor McGregor says Jose Aldo should be stripped of belt, wants spot on Dublin card

Sure, he’s got one heck of a challenge ahead of him first, but if all goes to plan, Irishman Conor McGregor could be fighting in his home country later this year.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Chris Weidman thinks Luke Rockhold could fight Ronaldo Souza for number one spot

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman isn't sure if his title fight with Luke Rockhold will go ahead. According to Chris Weidman, there's a chance he won't be defending his middleweight strap again read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Chad Mendes

Chad Mendes talks about preparing to fight Conor McGregor next month, if Aldo can't make it. read news >>

Jose Aldo Expected to Train Tuesday, Make a Decision on Conor McGregor Fight

Judgment day could come on Tuesday for Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor. Aldo is expected to train and make a final decision on whether he’ll defend his UFC featherweight title against McGregor over a we read news >>

UFC Fight Night 70 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

At UFC Fight Night 70, Yoel Romero continued on his war path toward the top of the middleweight division. Following two closely contested rounds, Romero exploded on Lyoto Machida in the third stanza. read news >>

Holbrook in for Injured Koch vs. Nijem

Unbeaten as a professional, Indiana's Andrew Holbrook will make his UFC debut close to home, as he faces Ramsey Nijem in a lightweight bout at UFC Fight Night in Chicago on July 25. read news >>

Undefeated Andrew Holbrook Steps in for Injured Erik Koch at UFC on Fox 16

Unbeaten lightweight Andrew Holbrook will make his UFC debut at UFC on Fox 16, filling in for the injured Erik Koch. read news >>