steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told ( “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

Still undefeated, UFC Fight Night 95's Gregor Gillespie eyes spot on Albany card

BRASILIA, Brazil – Now 8-0 in his professional MMA career following a successful UFC debut, former NCAA Division I national wrestling champ Gregor Gillespie still sees a lot of room to grow: ‘I’m lea read news >>

UFC Fight Night 97 lineup set with Alvey vs. Nicholson in featured prelim spot

The lineup is set for the UFC’s second trip to the Philippines for UFC Fight Night 97 in October.Filed under: News read news >>

Video: Watch John Dodson return to bantamweight with quick win over Manvel Gamburyan

While his only losses in the UFC’s flyweight division came to current champ Demetrious Johnson, John Dodson elected to return to 135 pounds. If his first performance was any indication, it was a wise read news >>

UFC 205 tickets on sale this week, and $1,506 gets you cageside for Conor McGregor's bid at history

Tickets are on sale this week for UFC 205, the promotion’s long-awaited debut at New York’s Madison Square Garden, and the lineup is stacked.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zach Freeman Gunning for RFA Title, Whatever Comes Next... Comes Next |

Following a lackluster number of fights the past couple years, Zach Freeman is focused on taking the RFA lightweight title. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96's John Dodson: Flyweight title-fight losses will hold me back at bantamweight

John Dodson says he has quite a bit of work to do before he’s taken seriously as a title-ready contender in the UFC bantamweight division. But he also feels that’s not entirely his fault.Filed under: read news >>

Tyson Fury "Fails Test For Cocaine," Could Lose Belts | FIGHTLAND

PA Images Tyson Fury has been notified that he has failed a test for cocaine, according to a report from ESPN. The U.S. outlet says that "multiple sources with knowledge of the test results" have con read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96's Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos already talking top-15 spot

PORTLAND, Ore. – On Saturday Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos outscored the experienced Keita Nakamura in what was only his second career win to come via decision. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, V read news >>

Thomas Almeida thinks about Garbrandt loss 'all the time,' wants spot at Nov. 19 hometown event

After a knockout loss to Cody Garbrandt snapped a 20-fight undefeated streak, a hungry Thomas Almeida has been relentlessly asking for a spot at UFC Fight Night 100, set to take place at his home cit read news >>

Bisping finally reaping rewards after years of sacrifice

Michael Bisping has had a roller coaster of a career. He's suffered devastating losses and made many sacrifices. But now he's the champ and gets to fight for his belt in front of his home crown in En read news >>