steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

Michael Bisping looking to make 'terrified' C.B. Dollaway pay the price

Ahead of his encounter with C.B. Dollaway at UFC 186, Michael Bisping forecasts a clear-cut victory over his "terrified' opponent on Saturday evening. UFC middleweight contender Michael Bisping had a read news >>

Invicta FC's Livia Renata Souza hid title fight from family

Livia Renata Souza will make her Invicta FC debut on Friday night, and it’s going to be the biggest night of her life. The Brazilian prospect, who signed a contract with the promotion after going 6-0 read news >>

Video: Watch Rampage Jackson's UFC 186 pre-fight media scrum

Quinton Jackson will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon this weekend (Sat. April 25, 2015) when he takes on Brazilian brawler, Fabio Maldonado, in the co-main event of UFC 186 in Montreal, Q read news >>

Joe Lauzon vs. Takanori Gomi set for UFC on FOX 16

"The Fireball Kid" is set to make his Octagon return against the always entertaining Joe Lauzon at UFC on FOX 16 in Chicago. A lightweight bout with high potential for fireworks (not literally, that read news >>

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Tom Brady, Jamie Foxx, and other celebs make their predictions

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao? The biggest names in sports and entertainment make their selections for the fight of the century. We are less than two weeks away from Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny read news >>

UFC 186: Rampage clears last hurdle to fight Maldonado in Montreal

According to Ariel Helwani, Bellator failed to secure an emergency injunction preventing Rampage Jackson from fighting at UFC 186. Ariel Helwani tweeted that Bellator/Viacom failed to secure an emerg read news >>

Could a Win over Alexis Davis Make Sarah Kaufman a Title Challenger?

UFC 186 has a very important women's bantamweight bout as a prelim — Sarah Kaufman vs. Alexis Davis. If you were just to go by rankings No. 3-ranked Davis and No. 5-ranked Kaufman quite possibly coul read news >>

Tim Kennedy wants 'loser leaves UFC' match against Lyoto Machida

The two-time war veteran wants to make a return to the UFC and has an interesting stipulation in mind. According to a report on last night's UFC Tonight episode, UFC, Strikeforce and military veteran read news >>

Ben Askren plans to make Luis Santos ‘look stupid' at ONE Championship 26

When Ben Askren puts his welterweight strap on the line against Luis Santos at ONE Championship 26, it won't be Askren's first run-in with the veteran Brazilian. Four years ago, Santos promised to st read news >>