steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

Rafael dos Anjos says 'luck' didn't make him champion, wants superfights at 170

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos is anxious to prove his doubters wrong about his legitimacy, also looks to fight at welterweight after defending his title. Rafael dos Anjos would like to se read news >>

Demetrious Johnson's unusual suggestion: Make my next title defense a co-main event

Has UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson conceded that he's not a top draw? Johnson is widely regarded among the top three pound-for-pound in the world. He's the only flyweight champion in UFC h read news >>

UFC Fight Night 67 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

More than 14 months since he last appeared, Carlos Condit made a solid return on May 30 at UFC Fight Night 67, where he stopped Thiago Alves at the end of the second round. Following a close opening read news >>

UFC confirms UFC 191 for Las Vegas, Demetrious Johnson wants spot on the card

The UFC has confirmed that the UFC 191 pay-per-view event will take place on September 5 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bethe Correia wants to give Ronda Rousey 'worst beating of her life' and 'make her cry'

Bethe Correia talks about how she thinks her fight with Ronda Rousey will pan, dreams of a head kick knockout and then doing a victory dance. Bethe Correia might have apologized for her suicide comme read news >>

Ben Smith Ready to Put His Stamp on RFA Belt, Step into the UFC

RFA welterweight champion Ben Smith feels ready to put his stamp on the belt, and make the UFC take notice. read news >>

Pic: Ronda Rousey selling her car on Ebay ... cheap!

So, hurry up and get your bid in before it's too late! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has come a long way since her judo days. Making over $3 million read news >>

Bethe Correia: I will make ‘farce’ Ronda Rousey ‘cry in pain’ at UFC 190

Bethe Correia continues to fire shots at UFC champion Ronda Rousey. The Brazilian bantamweight, who takes on "Rowdy" on Aug. 1 at Rio de Janeiro’s UFC 190, told Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of T read news >>

Brazilian commission considering following Nevada’s new penalties for failed drug tests

The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) might follow Nevada’s stricter protocol for failed drug tests. Nevada Athletic Commission has approved on May 15 the creation of a severe standardized p read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Alves post-fight analysis - Fights to make for main card winners

UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Alves is in the books and so is the UFC's May schedule. So what's next for the main card winners? Bloody Elbow's Mookie Alexander plays fantasy matchmaker in another editi read news >>