steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 86

We want your predictions for Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 86 event in Croatia, the promotion’s debut in that country. Vote in our polls for who you think will win on the next card. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

For Yoel Romero, the tainted supplement excuse works – kind of

Yoel Romero claimed all along that his failed drug test was the result of a contaminated supplement. After analysis, USADA agreed, but without letting Romero off the hook completely. Where does this read news >>

Stipe Miocic 'not going home alone' after UFC 198 title fight with Fabricio Werdum

Stipe Miocic is happy to make the long journey to Brazil and challenge Fabricio Werdum for the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 198. He’s not doing it to leave empty-handed, though.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Question: Did UFC Make a Mistake Booking Jon Jones vs. Ovince Saint Preux?

It’s a story MMA fans have grown distressingly used to hearing—news of a hotly anticipated fight canceled at the 11th hour, followed immediately by the obligatory news of a short-notice replacement. read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman were together on Wednesday morning on ESPN SportsCenter as they make the media rounds for their UFC 199 rematch. Rockhold, now UFC middleweight champion, took the stra read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Khabib Nurmagomedov Gets New UFC on FOX 19 Opponent

Khabib Nurmagomedov's spot on UFC on FOX 19 was thrown into doubt over the past 48 hours, but he received a new opponent on Thursday. read news >>

Jacob Hebeisen Looking to Make Waves and Stay Busy in Legacy FC Debut

Jacob Hebeisen hasn't fought as often as he'd like in his 10-year career. All that changes on Friday night with Legacy FC 53. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

UFC Fight Night 86 in Zagreb, Croatia wasn't a jam-packed fight card that set the world on fire, but it did deliver on action and talking points. The fight card was headlined by Junior dos Santos vs. read news >>

BJ Penn V Dennis Siver Announced for UFC 199: Latest Comments, Details, Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn will reportedly make his long-awaited return to the Octagon at UFC 199 on June 4, where he'll face featherweight Dennis Siver. That's according to MMAjunkie, while Kevin I read news >>