steven-magdaleno-1.jpgAfter three-straight losses and a failed bid to make it in into the house on “The Ultimate Fighter 12,” Steve Magdaleno (9-3) admits things weren’t looking so good.

“Three in a row, like even if they were close fights, I think anybody would start to question themselves,” Magdaleno told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I started off really hot at 6-0, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get the job done. I started to question what was wrong with me.”

But rather than pack it up and admit defeat, Magdaleno decided to take a stand and battle back. A move to Los Angeles’ PKG Training Center brought it with a new crop of training partners, and the reinvention process began.

“Luckily I had good people around me, and I was able to make that switch and really change my style a lot,” Magdaleno said. “I used to be more like a kickboxer with my striking. Now I’ve focused a lot more on my boxing, and my boxing has really improved a lot. Everything has improved, and I’m just working with a lot of great people like Mac Danzig and Chad George.

“I just think that the company I’m with has really helped me improve. I think I was always at that level. I just think recently the company has pushed me over the edge.”

The results have been evident, as Magdaleno is now in the midst of a three-fight win streak – a run that includes three knockout wins.

“It’s always nice to be on the better side of the spectrum, that’s for sure,” Magdaleno said.

Magdaleno returns to action on Friday night, competing in the co-main event of BAMMA USA’s “Badbeat 8? event, which takes place at Commerce Casino in Commerce, Calif. Magdaleno meets fellow featherweight Chris Culley (14-10), who owns a pair of wins under the BAMMA USA banner.

“He’s a southpaw kickboxer, kind of a technical striker,” Magdaleno said. “He comes out of a`good camp. He fights out of Millennia here in California, which has a good reputation. There’s a lot of good fighters from that camp.

“He’s kind of long and rangy. I know he’s going to try and keep it on his feet. Again, his repertoire is striking, so I assume that’s what he’s going to do.”

But the name of the opponent hardly matters. Magdaleno is more focused on his performance and scoring another stoppage win. A shot with a major promotion is the ultimate goal, and Magdaleno knows exactly what it’s going to take to get there.

“My focus is definitely the big show,” Magdaleno said. “That’s why my focus has been on finishing guys. I want to make a statement with each and every fight. I think recently I’ve been making a big statement. This next fight, I want to finish it with either another great knockout or a slick submission. I think you have to, especially in my division.

“Both 145 and 155 are stacked divisions. If you want to make it into the big show, I think you really have to make a statement. I think they want exciting fighters and exciting finishes, and I want to show that I’m finishing my guys. I’m not fighting nobodies. I’m fighting guys with pretty decent records, and I’m beating them in exciting fashion.”

After failed 'TUF' bid, Leandro Higo ready to 'get people's attention,' says 'Pitbull'

Leandro Higo was considered an early favorite on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4,” but a loss and an injury resulted in a disappointing effort. Tonight, he tries again.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, New read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results recap: Next matches to make for 'Teixeira vs. Saint Preux' main card winners in Nashville

After an intriguing UFC Fight Night 73: "Teixeira vs. Saint Preux" event, MMAmania.com ponders what is next for the main card winners who picked up victories last Saturday night (August 8, 2015) on t read news >>

Fights to Make after UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. OSP

Michael Hutchinson plays matchmaker for the winners and losers of UFC Fight Night: OSP vs. Teixeira After every event, we at Bloody Elbow like to put on our matchmaker caps and predict what the UFC c read news >>

Kenny Florian on the mechanized chaos of 'Battlebots' and the dangers of flying shrapnel

I have a confession to make. When I was a kid, I was obsessed with ‘BattleBots.' I'm not talking about the same kind of obsessed I was with Pokémon or Power Rangers, or whatever other flavor of the y read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73: Beneil Dariush vs. Michael Johnson video highlights

NASHVILLE – Beneil Dariush’s UFC Fight Night 73 split decision victory over Michael Johnson seemed to make little sense to anyone in the arena.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Glory 23 post-fight analysis: Fights to make for the main card fighters

Play matchmaker in the wake of Glory 23, as Bloody Elbow predicts what is next for the main card fighters. Glory 23 Las Vegas is a wrap, and what was not the most star-studded event on paper ended up read news >>

Glover Teixeira believes UFC Fight Night 73 win puts him back in title range

NASHVILLE – With back-to-back losses in what he hopes is the rearview mirror, Glover Teixeira believes today is the day he bounces back.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Nashville Weigh-in Results: Teiexeira and OSP Spot-On, but Two Fighters Miss Weight

The UFC Fight Night 73 main event between Glover Teixeira and Ovince Saint Preux is set, but two main card fighters missed weight on Friday in Nashville. read news >>

Mayweather responds to Rousey: 'Make $300 million in 36 minutes, then call me'

Floyd Mayweather Jr. tried to fire back at Ronda Rousey during an appearance on ESPN’s SportsCenter following some sharp comments from the UFC women’s bantamweight champion after winning the ESPY for read news >>

Video: Floyd Mayweather responds to Ronda Rousey ESPY snub, 'Call me when you make $300 million per fight'

Undefeated boxing kingpin Floyd Mayweather Jr. was making the media rounds on Thursday to promote his upcoming title fight against Andre Berto in September (more on that here). That included a visit read news >>