‘Axe Murderer’ vs. ‘Phenom’ Rematch Official for UFC 147 at ‘Mineirinho’ in Belo Horizonte



As expected, a rematch between Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort has been officially promoted to the main event of UFC 147, which takes place June 23 at Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond.

Promotion officials confirmed the booking on Friday. UFC 147 was originally supposed to be headlined by a middleweight title rematch between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen at Joao Havelange Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. However, due to a logistics conflict with the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, that matchup was transplanted to UFC 148, and UFC 147 will now take place in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.

The venue, known as “Mineirinho,” is an indoor arena capable of housing 25,000 spectators. UFC 147 is expected to air on pay-per-view and marks the Las Vegas-based promotion’s third trip to Brazil in the last year. The event will also feature a heavyweight confrontation between Fabricio Werdum and Mike Russow.

"It's great for our fans and the UFC to hold events in new parts of Brazil. The UFC is exploding around the country, and Minas Gerais, and its third largest state, is an ideal place for this,” said Marshall Zelaznik, UFC director of international development, in the official release. Silva and Belfort currently oppose each other as coaches on the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” but their rivalry stretches back much further than their time on the reality show. The countrymen first met in 1998 during the UFC’s inaugural Brazilian event, with Belfort blitzing Silva with a barrage of punches to earn a technical knockout in just 44 seconds.

Following their encounter, Silva would go on to rule the Pride Fighting Championships as the Japanese promotion’s longtime 205-pound titlist. Meanwhile, Belfort captured the UFC light heavyweight crown from Randy Couture before losing the belt back to “The Natural” in his first title defense in 2004.

More recently, “The Phenom” has won back-to-back fights since failing in his bid to capture the UFC lightweight title from Anderson Silva last year, while “The Axe Murderer” rebounded from a 27-second loss to Chris Leben this past July by knocking out former Strikeforce champion Cung Le in November.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 300 views

"The Axe Murderer" chose his bouts against Chuck Liddell and Brian Stann as the greatest of his career, Rampage as his biggest rival and his rematch against Cro Cop as his hardest contest. Former Pri read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 22 views

According to "The Axe Murderer", a producer told him during the show to "heat things up somehow". Wanderlei Silva told Band Television that his brawl with Chael Sonnen was motivated by a request from read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 180 views

The Axe Murderer teases a cage come back and prophesies the end of UFC "monopoly." Wanderlei Silva posted this Monday an enigmatic message which celebrated the 17th birthday of PRIDE FC. According to read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 416 views

Wanderlei Silva is taking a stand against the UFC, and given the response by former champions and longtime contenders, he is not alone. The former Pride and UFC legend shocked the world on Friday by read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 16 views

On Tuesday, the Nevada Athletic Commission banned former UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva for life for skipping out on a random drug test prior to he scheduled UFC 175 bout against Chael Sonnen. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

Welcome to the Promotional Malpractice Live Chat, episode 105. I'm back, y'all. Vacation was weird and wonderful (and desperately needed), but I'm back. I'm so excited to do this chat today and recon read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 2 views

Recently retired MMA fighter Wanderlei Silva is starting a war against the UFC, and he’s going after the promotion’s low fighter pay. Banned for live and fined $70,000 by the Nevada Athletic Commissi read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC president Dana White didn't foresee the Nevada Athletic Commission issuing a lifetime ban to Wanderlei Silva. But he knew the troubled former champion was in for some sort of major punishment, si read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 36 views

On Tuesday, the Nevada Athletic Commission issued Wanderlei Silva a lifetime ban and fined him $70,000 for dodging a drug test prior to his UFC 175 bout against Chael Sonnen. read news >>